Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2014, 04:23 PM   #1

Sumitomo tires

Has anyone had any experience with Sumitomo tires for class A motor coaches? I spoke to a tire guy who said Sumitomo tires are good , priced better than Michelin and good year, last just as long , and are as durable. Does anyone have comments.

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2014, 04:35 PM   #2

I have 275/70/22.5 Sumitomo tires on the back duals of my coach. Michelin on the front. That was the set up on the coach when I bought in march of this year. The DOT on the Sumitomo tires is 2010. They look gerat and ride fine and no issues. I would consider installing the Sumitomo tires all around but I can't seem to locate a tire dealer here locally in the Houston TX area that carries them.

adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:41 PM   #3

I had Sumitomos installed right after we got our coach. Have had no problems.
They saved us a couple hundred dollars per tire over the Michelin or Goodyear.
The dealer had a few cheaper options from China but said he could never get those to balance properly. Sumitomos are Japanese - not Chinese.
I think we paid $2,800 for six tires incl tax and install.
chawkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:48 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I have 8 year old Sumos on mine and can't say anything bad about them. I'm in the Phoenix area for the winter and will replace them before returning to Mich in May. When inquiring about replacing them with the same, I was told (take a grain of salt here) that they have out priced themselves, but are still good tires.

One dealer is recommending Hankooks at $2386 for 6. Another dealer is recommending Yokohama for $2800 or Coopers for around $2200, but they are backordered due to a strike. They say I can get Sumos for $2500. All this was just an hour ago and I will keep checking.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:17 PM   #5

clyon51 - take a look at Toyo tires. They're made in Japan and have an excellent reputation. I just bought my second set in the Phoenix area for my new (to me) Alpine Coach.
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:02 PM   #6

Toyo Tires

Koop, I currently have Toyo tires on my Dutch Star now. They are
120z 255/70R-22.5. On the side wall they have stamped CHINA as well I have been told by an independent tire dealer they are made in CHINA. Did they move to Japan?
Old 01-10-2014, 08:38 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
I got a full set about 6 months ago, seem fine too me. In 7 years I can give a full report. The big full service truck rv repair place I got them from gave them glowing reviews. Would have paid the extra for Michelins no problem.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koop View Post
clyon51 - take a look at Toyo tires. They're made in Japan and have an excellent reputation. I just bought my second set in the Phoenix area for my new (to me) Alpine Coach.
Funny, I just now got back from having six installed on my coach. Total was $2530.

I kept the two old steer Sailun tires for spares, as they have one year before time out.

Leaving for Florida soon for a 2600 mile trip and will post after I get back on what I think.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:20 PM   #9

Toyo Tires

Thanks all for the quick response. I have had no experience with Toyo in the past and am a bit uncomfortable with them. Hopefully my experiences will be as positive as all of yours.

Good Travels to all, hope to see you out there.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:23 AM   #10

Had toyos for the last 4 years on a 28000 lb coach. Put 15K on them so far, reasonably priced, good tires, no issues.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:27 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Toyo tires were never made in china. They have a truck tire plant in Georgia. I put toyo's on minein Oct. of 2012. They were two weeks old when I got them and the location code was Japan. $2600 out the door for 245/75 22.5.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:32 AM   #12
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Many tire manufacturers are now having their tires built in China. Don't take "Made in China" as a tire necessarily made of poor quality. Good Year and Michelin have plants in China. So does Toyo, Cooper, Perrelli, Khumo and others!
These manufacturers ensure that their tires are made to their stringent guidelines.

Interesting article on Chinese Tires - http://www.nbcnews.com/id/32899266/n.../#.UtFT03-9KSM

I put Toyo tires on my last coach and I would do it again!
Old 01-11-2014, 08:54 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsturnin View Post
Koop, I currently have Toyo tires on my Dutch Star now. They are
120z 255/70R-22.5. On the side wall they have stamped CHINA as well I have been told by an independent tire dealer they are made in CHINA. Did they move to Japan?
I've only seen Toyo commercial duty truck tires that were made in Japan or USA. I never seen them come from China. That doesn't mean they don't manufacture in China, I just haven't seen them.

Both sets of Toyo tires I purchased were made in Japan. Toyo is a Japanese company.

Toyos are well regarded in the northwest. I have a friend that managed a large fleet of trucks - both logging trucks and over-the-road. He used Toyo exclusively.
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:13 AM   #14

As you can see, many people have had good experiences with different tire manufactures. The one thing that you should know is your corners weight first.For my coach and the weight that is on the front axle, I can only use Michelins. I do know of a few people who bought tires and then had to replace them because they could not handle the weight.Just my thoughts!

Tags
tires