Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2014, 04:59 PM   #1

Summerizing mh in Alabama.

We have a fleetwood storm 28f. We are going to leave it in AL for about six months. We are storing it outside. What I think I know: drain black water tank, refill it with fresh water and a bit of bleach, park the tires on wood to prevent moisture absorption, disconnect batteries, empty fresh water tank, waxing the exterior, topping off fuel tank and adding additive to prevent condensation, prop fridge and freezer doors open, put all bedding in sealed tubs, clean the interior, keep all drapes and blinds closed to prevent sunlight damage, change insurance to storage mode. What have I missed and are there things I should do differently? Any help is appreciated.

Jborer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2014, 05:19 PM   #2

Pull the batteries, mouse traps, spray vinyl graphics with 303 protectant, cover the tires.

al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:48 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
I would never put bleach in black holding tank. Filling with fresh water, yes. I would put in some Dawn dishwashing detergent also. I would also use vent covers on roof so you can keep vents open for air circulation. Happy trails.

ronspradley
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:11 PM   #4

Install wasp protection wire mesh screen at all vents; fridge, water heater and any other places they can gain access to build nests. Also be aware they may have built nests anywhere under the chassis, so bring a can or two of wasp spray when you return. Wasp can stay active until late Oct.

I would do as already suggested to put out some mouse traps. Also tear lid off 2-3 moth ball boxes and sit inside to deter mice and snakes. Moth balls will produce a strong smell when you return but open windows and smell will be gone within the hour.

Spray the chassis with a commercial strength spider and ant poison.

I suggest that you try to find indoor storage and MH will be just as clean upon return as you left it. The added costs IMHO is worth it.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronspradley View Post
I would never put bleach in black holding tank. Filling with fresh water, yes. I would put in some Dawn dishwashing detergent also. I would also use vent covers on roof so you can keep vents open for air circulation. Happy trails. ronspradley
I am curious, what would be the problem with the bleach? Thanks for the info.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jborer View Post
I am curious, what would be the problem with the bleach? Thanks for the info.
First I ever heard don't put bleach in black tank. I do not know why you think you need to add it either. I always store mine with just empty black tank and never have any odors. As for putting Dawn or other dish washing in black tank, that is what you do to clean the tank while driving to help clean sensors.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by osok View Post
First I ever heard don't put bleach in black tank. I do not know why you think you need to add it either. I always store mine with just empty black tank and never have any odors. As for putting Dawn or other dish washing in black tank, that is what you do to clean the tank while driving to help clean sensors.
My thought with the bleach was to kill any odor causing bacteria that may have been left behind after emptying the tank. And I figured leaving liquid with bleach in the tank (full) would prevent mold etc from growing.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronspradley View Post
I would never put bleach in black holding tank. Filling with fresh water, yes. I would put in some Dawn dishwashing detergent also. I would also use vent covers on roof so you can keep vents open for air circulation. Happy trails.

ronspradley

Partially agree. Bleach while using them is a NO for me. After dumping the tank is a YES for me.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:26 AM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
No bleach in black tank

I do not put bleach in black tank because my tanks are emptied into septic tanks. I do not want to kill the bacteria in these septic tanks with the bleach. I use Happy Camper (others use Rid-X) to promote bacteria. I use this between trips also, to keep the bacteria happy. I do not use any holding tank deodorants. And like OP, keep black tank near full of water between trips. Would never store with black or grey tank empty. Don't want any solids to harden inside tanks.

This is my opinion, not preaching here. YMMV.

ronspradley

Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:52 AM   #10

I don't know much about it, but bacteria is what you want in a septic tank since it's not an enclosed system. Helps break up the sludge and then drain into the field.

IMO, our tanks are sealed off and bacteria is not needed. What's needed is lost of liquids so that when you go empty the tank everything goes down the tube.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:29 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
If you can find it and afford it, covered storage would be best.

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote