Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2014, 04:17 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Summo Springs

I am about to order a 37' Gasser. Summo Springs Ride assist is an option. Does anyone have these? What is your opinion about them and are they easy to install myself. I am pretty handy with car repairs.
jrizz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2014, 08:43 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrizz1 View Post
I am about to order a 37' Gasser. Summo Springs Ride assist is an option. Does anyone have these? What is your opinion about them and are they easy to install myself. I am pretty handy with car repairs.
I don't think they are difficult to install. I'm curious about which coach builder is offering them as an option, and for which chassis.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:47 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Tiffin on all of their Allegro's for 2015
jrizz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 10:14 AM   #4

If you want a rougher ride go for it. All they are is a longer Bump Stop that contacts the leaf spring the majority of the time causing a stiff ride.
Regular Air bags are adjustable and much better at about the same cost. ($350 a pair)
Old 10-12-2015, 03:45 PM   #5

I have them and so far I am very impressed.they are not just another bump stop. They can be compressed to 80% and can't be punctured. The ride is not "stiff". I drive mountain roads and the desert all the time. No more unexpected dips due to very strong wind gusts, uneven roads, hairpins etc. just nice resistance.
Old 10-12-2015, 04:58 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
I installed maxim summo springs this spring, after driving our coach for 2 years without them, I can tell you they make a HUGE differance in ride and handling. Best upgrade that I have made to the coach, without a doubt.

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
rapid rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 05:39 PM   #7

Just installed Sumo Solo's on our 06' Holiday Rambler 30PDD and they are awesome. Very easy to install, did them my self and took about 1.5 hours. The ride is so much better even the DW commented on how much better it was. Did 100 mile on twisty roads to the coast weekend before last. No more swaying from side to side and feels much more under control.
The secret is when you install them to have about 1/2" compression when off the jacks. This stops the jarring that some complain about.
Crabb E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 05:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapid rick View Post
I installed maxim summo springs this spring, after driving our coach for 2 years without them, I can tell you they make a HUGE differance in ride and handling. Best upgrade that I have made to the coach, without a doubt.
Thinking about installing them on my rig, was it difficult to do?
rvpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 05:59 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
RVPUSHER, piece of cake,1 1/2 hours, install was done. If you can use a drill, and use a ratchet and wrench, you can install summo springs. I USED A 12 TON BOTTLE JACK TO RAISE THE COACH JUST ENOUGH TO INSTALL THEM,ABOUT 6 INCHES OR SO. EVEN MY WIFE NOTICED THE DIFFERENCE as soon as we pulled out of the driveway,HUGE,HUGE,HUGE DIFFERENCE. IMHO of course.

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
Old 10-13-2015, 07:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapid rick View Post
RVPUSHER, piece of cake,1 1/2 hours, install was done. If you can use a drill, and use a ratchet and wrench, you can install summo springs. I USED A 12 TON BOTTLE JACK TO RAISE THE COACH JUST ENOUGH TO INSTALL THEM,ABOUT 6 INCHES OR SO. EVEN MY WIFE NOTICED THE DIFFERENCE as soon as we pulled out of the driveway,HUGE,HUGE,HUGE DIFFERENCE. IMHO of course.
Thanks. Looked at the website and appears to be fairly easy to install. Just curious, why did you chose the Maxim vs Rebel or Solo. I assume your chassis is a Ford F53 so you used the front wheel spring Part Number: SSF-181-40-1. Is it necessary to put them on front and back?
rvpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 02:44 PM   #11

After much reading, I installed the front solos on my 2011, 22K chassis about 2 months ago.

IMHO, they are most definitely not a longer bump stop. It changed the way it handled and actually takes all the bumps so much better now. From driveways to speed bumps to windy & winding rural roads, it is night and day different for me and my wife. So much so, I bought the rears about three weeks ago before my last trip. I am very pleased with these!!

For me, it has made my coach a real pleasure to drive.
Just my $0.02…YMMV
Old 10-13-2015, 02:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvpusher View Post
Is it necessary to put them on front and back?
IMHO, the fronts did way more than the rears did for me. However, because I liked the front so much, I went ahead and did the rears. I do notice the rears mostly on speed bumps and pot holes. The fronts made a huge improvement to driving handling.
Old 10-13-2015, 03:38 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
RVPUSHER,
I was very unhappy with the side to side rocking of our f-53 chassis,felt like it was gonna roll on its side if I took an exit ramp too fast,I have a habit of overkill almost always when it comes to my "STUFF", prefer to do things once, I figure that I would rather spend a little more for maxims and thus get a little more. No regrets.

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
Old 10-13-2015, 04:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z714X4 View Post
IMHO, the fronts did way more than the rears did for me. However, because I liked the front so much, I went ahead and did the rears. I do notice the rears mostly on speed bumps and pot holes. The fronts made a huge improvement to driving handling.
If I may ask who did you purchase them from? Which model sumos did you install? What did the fronts cost? After reading this thread I think it is time to spend some money.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote