Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2016, 05:31 AM   #1

Sumo Springs - what did it fix? Be Specific!!

I had endless issues with ride and handling with my ACE - not to mention the vibration that was mostly fixed by changing tires from GY to Michelins but the Safe-T-plus only helped getting it to feel like there was a center somewhere in the middle of the steering arc. Sort of.

Fast Forward to this weekend - got a new, larger rig with 24K chassis, 22.5" aluminum wheels and standard front track bar. Stiff wind doesn't seem to affect it, very little push from semis, still some annoying vibration. Don't notice much body roll. a little front end dive on firm braking. The usual harshness on highway bumps and uneven pavement.

SO: If your Sumos affected the ride: WHAT CHANGED? Be specific about the before and after, including the vibration, harshness, sway or any other factors.

I'm considering adding them and would like to weigh the potential advantages vs cost.

best,

dave
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2016, 07:15 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-Oh View Post
I had endless issues with ride and handling with my ACE - not to mention the vibration that was mostly fixed by changing tires from GY to Michelins but the Safe-T-plus only helped getting it to feel like there was a center somewhere in the middle of the steering arc. Sort of.

Fast Forward to this weekend - got a new, larger rig with 24K chassis, 22.5" aluminum wheels and standard front track bar. Stiff wind doesn't seem to affect it, very little push from semis, still some annoying vibration. Don't notice much body roll. a little front end dive on firm braking. The usual harshness on highway bumps and uneven pavement.

SO: If your Sumos affected the ride: WHAT CHANGED? Be specific about the before and after, including the vibration, harshness, sway or any other factors.

I'm considering adding them and would like to weigh the potential advantages vs cost.

best,

dave
are you sure yours doesn't have sumos they put them on at the factory at tittin...

if not the dealer you bought from might have them on one off the coaches there
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 01:20 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
What you got was a much better built and designed motorhome. Tiffin puts long wheelbase chassis under their coaches and so you are not going to have a long overhang in the rear which causes all kinds of handling problems.

Sumos are an option on Tiffin gas coaches. If you have them, it will be listed on your invoice which you dealer should have given you. It may be listed on the sheets pasted on the back of the closet as well.

If you want to read more about them,spend some time on the tiffirvnetwork (Mod Edit) web site and hear from other owners who have them.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 07:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
are you sure yours doesn't have sumos they put them on at the factory at tittin...

if not the dealer you bought from might have them on one off the coaches there
Nope: No sumos. Dealer didn't order them on this particular rig. Looking for folks who have NOT had them, then added them to the same chassis...want to know what changed - - - specifically.

LUVR, I know you can be specific at great length: Please do!!!

Luvlabs, I will go there, too. But IRV2 has a better vibe and ... SCIENCE!
Old 06-01-2016, 09:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Nope: No sumos. Dealer didn't order them on this particular rig. Looking for folks who have NOT had them, then added them to the same chassis...want to know what changed - - - specifically.

LUVR, I know you can be specific at great length: Please do!!!

Luvlabs, I will go there, too. But IRV2 has a better vibe and ... SCIENCE!
I'm an expert on sumos and have spent time at their factory doing R&D

with most everything to get you usally have to give up...with sumo's the get is huge compared to the give up

the best way I have found to describe sumo's is if you put gel inserts in your shoes....nice

this just one of the things that has become because someone said.... can't we make this better???

do you wear cowboy boats???

did you know that one of the best, most comfortable boats made are ariats??

and did you also know that the company was started by two women that used to design for reebok... they desided to use tennis shoe technology in the soles of their boots....and yes,,,, gel inserts

the better answer for me to you is... what do you want them to do??
Old 06-01-2016, 04:20 PM   #6

Quote:
I'm an expert on sumos and have spent time at their factory doing R&D
the better answer for me to you is... what do you want them to do??
Do they dampen road vibration (I have a thing about vibration)?

I'll probably have to have the wheels all road-forced at some point as well, I guess, but my new coach seems overall pretty good. what constitues pretty gooder?
Old 06-01-2016, 04:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Do they dampen road vibration (I have a thing about vibration)?

I'll probably have to have the wheels all road-forced at some point as well, I guess, but my new coach seems overall pretty good. what constitues pretty gooder?
i think all motorhome have some level of vibration because the box is welded to the frame and there is no isolation

I also think that you have tuned yourself to look for it...
again not saying that is not there or that its right... just part of the deal
Old 06-01-2016, 05:42 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1464824323.095917.jpg
Views:	952
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	128904
I just installed the solos on the front only and it made a lot of front end noise go away. We had around 50 mph side wind coming back from NE Oklahoma and it handled really good but I didn't so had to stop near Durant OK.
Old 06-01-2016, 06:48 PM   #9

Quote:
i think all motorhome have some level of vibration because the box is welded to the frame and there is no isolation

I also think that you have tuned yourself to look for it...
again not saying that is not there or that its right... just part of the deal
If the sumos dampen it a bit, it would be worth it...and I have a bit of porpoising on dips, not really much but I think the sumos might help that a bit?
Old 06-02-2016, 09:38 AM   #10

No I don't wear cowboy boats. But my wife calls my shoes submarines (size 12).
😁
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:36 AM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
If you're sensitive to front end vibration/balance, add a set of Centramatic wheel balancers to the front of your new coach. I've installed them on my last two coaches, wouldn't leave home without them.

Florida Shores Truck Center always has the best price on them and they drop ship in about 4 days.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:32 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:

dave
I just installed a set on the front of my 2006 22K F53. I will be driving roads, in a week or so, that I have spent a few hours on w/o the sumos. I will try to reply after that ride and give my "seat of the pants" opinion of the ride. I am sure my DW wull be giving immediate responses!!!
W3SI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 07:31 AM   #13

I installed last weekend ($190 and about an hour of driveway time with a 7 year old helper) on my 35ft Georgetown 351DS on stock suspension and 19.5 tires. I did the sumospring solo bump stop replacement on the fronts only.

We drove to Florida this week and spent around 14 hours on interstates and state/local hw/roads.

I can say it was a much quieter ride. Harshness was reduced quite a bit. No more teeth rattling wondering if the overhead bunk was going to hit me in the head when hitting a bridge at 65/70. I liken it to the buick effect ...a little more slowbobbing (cant think of another descriptor) on big bumps. There was no sway reduction (I wondered if it would help there).

I didnt think I liked it at first, but after the trip I was sold. Very nice improvement and worth the time/money to me.

Now I just need to choose between doing shocks and swaybar/chf or doing the expensive handling fix (ehf). I think with a little sway reduction mine would ride very nice.
trs80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 01:30 PM   #14

After a trip to Yellowstone last year we put Solo's on all four corners of our mh. We just got back from 2500 mile trip to Utah to do the National Parks. Every day we drove it was windy. The Sumo's made a huge difference in the handling. Truck's don't blow the mh around like they used too. Dips and bumps are not near as bad. They even seem to dampen some of the road noise. For me they were well worth the money spent and the time to install. Did the install myself and it was really no big deal. The Sumo's and the 5Star tune have made a world of difference in our mh. We can't afford a pricey dp with air ride so to me this was the way to go.
Crabb E is offline   Reply With Quote