Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2016, 02:07 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Dave, what type of vibration were you experiencing? In the steering wheel, floor? Was it all the time or just at certain speeds? I notice a vibration in the steering wheel at highway speed around 60+ but otherwise nothing. I suspect it might be an out of balance tire but wonder if that's just the way it rides.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2016, 06:09 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpspaz View Post
Dave, what type of vibration were you experiencing? In the steering wheel, floor? Was it all the time or just at certain speeds? I notice a vibration in the steering wheel at highway speed around 60+ but otherwise nothing. I suspect it might be an out of balance tire but wonder if that's just the way it rides.
noticed it about 54-58mph - mostly steering wheel and floor. Not real bad, but noticeable. I'm probably going to do what DutchStar Don suggested and put Centramatics on the front when I go in for the first servicing/punch list.

Going north through the mountains to western PA this weekend, so I'll get a good feel for the overall behavior of the rig. Have only driven it about 130 miles from the dealership home so far.

Old 06-06-2016, 08:37 AM   #17

I guess these are for non air bag diesel rigs
badturks5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 11:27 AM   #18

I just installed the rear sumosprings on Saterday. After a 20 mile test drive I had some notable improvements. Less body roll at all levels of cornering, quieter ride and noticeably smoother on the secondary roads. I will be ordering the front springs soon. +1 on the Centramatic balancers. The first balance and rotation will pay for the fronts. I am pretty pleased with both products.
Olde Timey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 04:02 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-Oh View Post
noticed it about 54-58mph - mostly steering wheel and floor. Not real bad, but noticeable. I'm probably going to do what DutchStar Don suggested and put Centramatics on the front when I go in for the first servicing/punch list.

Going north through the mountains to western PA this weekend, so I'll get a good feel for the overall behavior of the rig. Have only driven it about 130 miles from the dealership home so far.
I read about those also but don't know enough about them. I'll start with the tires and then go from there. I also read about Safe T Plus and Roadmaster steering stabilizers but that doesn't seem to be my issue.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:51 PM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by W3BY View Post
I just installed a set on the front of my 2006 22K F53. I will be driving roads, in a week or so, that I have spent a few hours on w/o the sumos. I will try to reply after that ride and give my "seat of the pants" opinion of the ride. I am sure my DW will be giving immediate responses!!!

UPDATE: I was correct, the DW stated within the first 40 miles that there was a great improvement in smoothness of the ride. She states it feels firmer but pleasant.

I drove over 500 miles without fatigue. The drive was from MD to NH via I83, I81, I84, I90, I290, I495 and I95....... roads were rough, uneven in places and had holes which would swallow my Miata. I thought at times that I was going to lose the overhead TV but with all that said, it is a better ride than without the Sumo's.

I do have some popping from the front suspension. It was not there before I installed the sumo springs but I also had to tighten a spring u-bolt which was very loose. I will crawl under the rig and check bolts tomorrow.

I am looking forward to installing rear suspension upgrades.
W3BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:20 AM   #21

I have a 2005 coachman Mirada ford chassis 30ft.
Would like to reduce the rough ride and rattling when driving. To a more smooth ride. Will the sumo springs help?
Old 08-11-2016, 06:08 PM   #22

sumo

depending on how much rear end overhang you have the sumos will prevent some of the porpoising. you know the up in front down in rear feeling over very little dip in the road. i like air bags more and not much difference in price if your a good diy er.
Old 08-11-2016, 06:38 PM   #23

I put Sumo Maxiums on our little 18,000 lb coach without any other add-ons. I think the ride is about 20% better than before and the sway is about 40% better. The ride height went up 3.4" in the front and 2.75" in the rear when loaded to 17,120 lbs gross. The coach does still wander a little more than I would like, so a rear track bar is next.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:49 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
I put Sumo Maxiums on our little 18,000 lb coach without any other add-ons. I think the ride is about 20% better than before and the sway is about 40% better. The ride height went up 3.4" in the front and 2.75" in the rear when loaded to 17,120 lbs gross. The coach does still wander a little more than I would like, so a rear track bar is next.
I have the earlier version of you coach. I installed a track bar several years ago, and also did the cheap handling fix. The ride is way better and way more controlled.
Maya the Rottweiler/Great Dane Mix
Hudsoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 10:44 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
After I read through the long dissertation on Sumo Springs that was written in form of a discussion in 2015, I am more confused than ever>

What type of Sumo's would help with my ride problem, of almost loosing my teeth every time I drive on a lesser good part of a road? I am not an engineer by trade, and could only partially follow the earlier discussion (as a bio-medical researcher, I probably could fix my teeth again, but that is not such a good solution).
would the solo version help with this ride problem? If so, what solo's would I need, their website has close to a million different versions, and their decision chart brings me to the maxims only.
I have a Hurricane 29D (about 30' long).

I have the cheap handling fix done to my unit, I have a steer safe system installed as well as a rear track bar.
Would those Sumo solos help?
Maya the Rottweiler/Great Dane Mix
Hudsoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 12:29 PM   #26

I have the sumo springs not the solos.After install my coach has less
rattles and squeaks,and a little smoother ride.Mine is the 18000 lbs chassis.If
you call sumo like I did, they will answer all your questions.
purrin along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 04:32 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudsoner View Post
After I read through the long dissertation on Sumo Springs that was written in form of a discussion in 2015, I am more confused than ever>

What type of Sumo's would help with my ride problem, of almost loosing my teeth every time I drive on a lesser good part of a road? I am not an engineer by trade, and could only partially follow the earlier discussion (as a bio-medical researcher, I probably could fix my teeth again, but that is not such a good solution).
would the solo version help with this ride problem? If so, what solo's would I need, their website has close to a million different versions, and their decision chart brings me to the maxims only.
I have a Hurricane 29D (about 30' long).

I have the cheap handling fix done to my unit, I have a steer safe system installed as well as a rear track bar.
Would those Sumo solos help?

I have the solos on front and yes they really made a big difference. So right now I am having the high dollar ones put on the rear. I have done the same upgrades you have and they all made a big difference. No more white knuckles.
Old 08-12-2016, 04:44 PM   #28

I put the solo on the front as well and made a big difference in harshness of ride, rattles, and noise (engine is still loud though). I got the solos off Amazon.

The chp would add some much needed side to side sway, but I haven't done it.