Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2013, 01:05 AM   #1

Super C vs Class A

Still searching for what will best suite us. I'm hoping to get some feedback on the comparison between Class A's and Super C's.

We will not be full-timing for the foreseeable future and may never as I don't know if the DW will ever want to give up the stix & bricks. 1-3 week runs at a time each month for now. DW demands nice, modern, clean, roomy accommodations but won't allow a king's fortune spent. So I have to balance high quality but older with that. Right now would like to be 50K & under but Realistically I think 100K mark give or take is more realistic. I understand that RV's, like boats, are a compromise but DW is a little harder to convince.

The biggest challenge is a 9yr old boy and I would like him to have a dedicated bed. That's not so difficult but throw in king bed & washer/dryer with decent storage under 40ft and the options shrink dramatically. I really like the Newmar Allstar 3950 loft option but they are rare & I've heard storage is slim & the master is a queen but we might be able to live with that. Most of the pre-owned quality Class A bunk option choices leave a little to be desired from what I've seen. I occasionally see adds for Seneca's or like kind but have never seen one in person. Fits a lot of the hard to put in one box items like king, w/d, storage, designated 2nd bed, modern, decent living, cooking, eating, and sleeping space along with towing capability. So making a short story long I would like to hear some of your thoughts on the comparisons or differences.

OBTW if you think rving is my idea you would be wrong. DW has been bugging me for decades to get an RV but I know how hard it is to match her tastes with what she wants to spend

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2013, 02:07 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You probably will find that there is going to be a significant difference in price point when comparing similar models of equal quality and floor plan layout between these 2 segments of motorhome.

The question of which to pick can be answered with this: Are you going to be towing a very large trailer or similar tow rig?

The price difference between similar Class A's and Super C's is seen at the trailer hitch with MUCH higher tow ratings on the Super C.

Class A's (front or rear engine/Diesel or gas) will have much of the focus on the coach, while a Super C is a truck, first and foremost.

Plus, there are simply fewer Super C's made than Class A's, so there is an "economy of scale" in production costs that is passed to the buyer.

In my shopping, the Class A was always less expensive than an equally equipped and layed-out Super C.

Did I want to purchase a MDT Super C Toyhauler with 10K lb hitch capacity? - YES! - But my Outlaw (24K GVWR/30K GCWR) has all the same stuff inside, and it was selling at a much lower price (but it had a lower towing capacity too).

If price is not a limiting factor, then Showhauler makes a really good HDT Super C. ShowHauler :: Motorhome and Truck Conversions Home

Seneca and Dynamax are very nice MDT Super C's.
Dynamax RV | Luxury RVs | Class C Motorhomes | Motor Coach | Fifth Wheels
Seneca Class C Motorhomes - Jayco

And there are others.

Plus on iRV2 there's:
Truck Motor Homes
The HDT conversion forum:
HDT Conversions - iRV2 Forums
and the MDT conversion forum:
MDT Conversions - iRV2 Forums

Best of luck

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:26 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
New or Used? $100K or $1,000K? Your options are plentiful. If new and low budget, be sure to take a look at the Thor ACE and Winnebego's in Class A. They both offer a lot bang for the buck.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:41 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
If you look at the overall length bumper to bumper a class A will have much more living space available. So a 36' class A will have almost 28' of living space where a super C will be closer to 22' (hood etc.) but like has been said it will probably have a higher tow rating (but not always).
Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:02 AM   #5

Everything discussed above is great and I'll add my $0.02 cents worth to Super C vs A's. I'm referring to a true Class 8 chassis (not the Kodiak's and semi/tractor truck wanna-be's )

(I realize this will put you out of your $100k target range.. but worth considering....)

(1) CHASSIS REPAIRS!

When (not if) you do eventually break down somewhere on the road you will find that mobile repair services and even chassis repair dealerships will not shun you away if you're in a Super C. Most chassis repair shops shudder at seeing a Class A diesel coming in on the hook for repairs. The labor to repair is substantially less expensive since they don't have to tear a bedroom apart, empty closets, empty drawers, cover everything in plastic, remove access covers, etc just to get to the top side of the engine. Additionally, regardless of the Chassis manufacturer you will find many more places to have repairs done and in most cases much more expediently as just about any service or repair work needed can be done at any 24 hr truck shop across the country with a lot better parts prices and availability. Remember, they cater to truckers who drive for a living :-)

(2) RELIABILITY

A true Class 8 chassis is designed to carry/pull 60,000 lbs for 3-4 million miles. Enough said!

(3) Resale

Check used pricing on a 10yr old Super C on a Kenworth/Peterbilt/Volvo Chassis vs a 10 yr old Class A (insert brand name here) vs their original pricing. Yes, they all depreciate, but you'll find a much slower rate on Super Cs.

(4) Towing/Weight carrying capacity

You could never possibly carry too much on these chassis. hehe

(5) Increased liquid capacity

Most of these carry have black/gray/fresh water tanks 3-4x the size of a conventional Class A.

More expensive initially? Not really... there are some manufacturers out there like PowerhouseCoach.com (I've done some customization on a couple of these, i.e. Trav'ler dish installation, residential refrig. installation, whole house camera monitoring, etc) who can get you into one of theirs brand new for around 300k.

Do I own one? Nope! Just my Class A Newmar which has served me faithfully.

Would I like a Super-C? Yep!

Just my $0.02 cents worth
Old 06-06-2013, 06:57 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94-Newmar View Post
Everything discussed above is great and I'll add my $0.02 cents worth to Super C vs A's. I'm referring to a true Class 8 chassis (not the Kodiak's and semi/tractor truck wanna-be's )

More expensive initially? Not really... there are some manufacturers out there like PowerhouseCoach.com (I've done some customization on a couple of these, i.e. Trav'ler dish installation, residential refrig. installation, whole house camera monitoring, etc) who can get you into one of theirs brand new for around 300k.

Just my $0.02 cents worth
Thanks for making my point for me...for $300,000 you could get a top of the line DP built on a Prevost or similar over-the-road bus chassis - with heavy personalization on finishes and fabrics.
I don't think that level of dress and individualization would come in the $300K Class 8 Super C - but what an awesome truck it would be
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 06-11-2013, 02:58 PM   #7

TY all for your replies. I'm hoping more will add comments, especially those that have bought SC's after looking at class A's or visa versa.

In response to some of the comments; We will be towing but the toad will be standard affair & an MDT should be adequate. I believe the MDT should share the same benefits for maintenance & repair as the HDT. I am concerned with the ride of the MDT. If it's anything like the commercial versions, they're not the most comfy ride and the road noise of the diesel in front is not pleasant. That said I won't be spending any where near $300K on our first rv. When I said $100K "give or take" I meant tens not hundreds of thousands.

I know with comparing the two in same lengths the A will live larger due to the cockpit seats able to dbl as seating for the living area if you didn't need additional designated sleeping. However due to our needs, I believe the queen birth above the cab in a SC negates the A's advantage here. The reason for me wondering about the pros/cons in comparing the two is that if it weren't for the lack of towing/GVW ability & lack of cargo space, a standard class C would have been a strong contender if not the winner for our needs.

Scarab0088's statement regarding build numbers & price value is a good point. Unfortunately, other than the Newmar Allstar 3950 loft option, I have not come across a class A that fulfills enough of our needs/wants in one pkg to not consider a SC. I have seen, in pictures, a cpl newer class A's with a drop down bed area above the cab but the few I've seen are either not of the quality & layout I want or well beyond what I'm willing to spend since that option is relatively new.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:20 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Thanks for making my point for me...for $300,000 you could get a top of the line DP built on a Prevost or similar over-the-road bus chassis - with heavy personalization on finishes and fabrics.
Last I read a new, bare, Prevost chassis was around $700,000
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:40 PM   #9

As an owner of a 3950 they are worth waiting and watching for, it took us 8 months to find the one we have now. There is nothing from a livability prospective that I have owned or even seen that works better although a close second is the Fleetwood Discovery 42A.

We do right around 12 weeks and 16k miles a year in 2 and 3 week trips, we have owned 2 other bunk models and one normal DP layout. The bunks worked great but what you really had was a whole in the wall the kids got to sleep in, with the 3950 (mine has a 3rd bed added covering the second entrance to the Master bedroom) all of my kids have there own space which makes the whole experience much more enjoyable.

Shaun
Bryantclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:30 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Last I read a new, bare, Prevost chassis was around $700,000
Sorry to drop the "P" bomb...
I must be mixing nomenclature. While I will agree that a "commercial bus" conversion RV (Marathon, Outlaw Coach, etc.) will start with a shell that alone costs well north of half a million, the question was Class A or Super C.

In my shopping (a guy can dream - right?) there are many very fine "Class A" RV's built on commercial grade chassis designs. And, these rigs will most usually be a bit more affordable that the equal in the Super C class (Renegade, Showhauler, etc).

Safe travels

WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV