Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2014, 11:39 AM   #1

Supplemental propane

I'm a motorhome newbie. I have a class A 35' Fleetwood Pace Arrow and recently took it elk hunting where temperatures dipped to near 0 at night. A snow storm ran me out early but my post involves propane usage. My propane was getting pretty low and I don't think I would've had enough to finish out the season had I lasted the whole time. It looked possible to disconnect the propane from the main tank and maybe hookup an extra tank. I'm sure this isn't advised but any input is welcome. When I run the generator I assume the heaters still use propane??? Thanks much.
Spudmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2014, 12:11 PM   #2

I have seen people disconnect from the main tank, and move the regulator and supply line to a portable bottle.
Not the method , I would recommend , prefer the installation of an ; Extend a Stay ; to hook up the portable properly and a full check for leaks.
Is your gen set , propane powered ?
Yes your furnace needs propane to operate, and there is no harm filling up before an outing, any time tank is below 60% full, propane will not go bad in storage, and the lower the temp the more likely you will need to use the propane, the limit is about -35f where the liquid in the tank will not vaporize and you will be without propane no matter how full the tank.
Old 11-16-2014, 03:49 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are a couple of devices, used to be one (Extend-a-stay by Marshall Brass) but M.B. got out of that line so now there is the Stay-A-While (I think that's from Mr. heater, Camping world carries it) and an identical in appearance offering from Camco.

These adapters optionally come with a pair of hoses.. more on them shortly.

They go between the tank valve and the regulator on a Class A with standard POL fittings, You simply turn off the tank , unscrew the left hand thread nut from the valve, screw in the one on the adapter, then screw the original into the adapter.

The hoses
one of the fittings on the adapter is a screw top like on a disposable propane bottle.. There is a hose that fits this and has an "other end" that is identical, this is to provide propane for your grill or other accessory outside the RV, it provides high pressure propane (tank pressure) so you need a grill designed to use toss-able bottles. This hose is 10 feet long.

The other hose is a five footer it is designed to attach to a 20-40 pound propane tank and connect to the "INLET" fitting on the adapter.

Check valves make sure no propane flows tank to tank.

Thing works well, Most RV dealers will have one or the other models.
Old 11-16-2014, 11:34 PM   #4

One of the guys that hunts with us has a system installed on his Class C MH so he can connect to 20-40 lb bottles. For him, it works real good and allows him to stay as long as we do eith the larger teank that is on our MH. The only issue might be carrying the extra tanks safetly.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 07:35 AM   #5

American Coach Owners Club
Greta info here on LP.
I have a T-fitting on my MH tank and I want to install an external 30 lb tank for heaters only while its here at home. I think I need a hose with the Acme knob for the tank and the correct hose end for my T fitting, any of you have suggestions for a part number and source.
My T fitting is installed between the Propane out and the Regulator. from what I understand I just need to turn off the main tank valve, tap in the T from the external tank and I should be good for supplying Propane for my heaters.
Is this correct ?

Thanks
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:39 AM   #6

Someone will confirm, but I believe you need a kit like the following link . Doing a thread search on irv2 should get you some hits too

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/l...opane-kits.htm
jdoran1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:44 AM   #7

Here is the inline valve I have, but I believe it's for an external Grill, I have the hose but never used it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Propane Valve.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	270.1 KB
ID:	79257   Click image for larger version

Name:	Propane valve 1.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	355.7 KB
ID:	79258  

Old 11-17-2014, 09:53 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
There are a couple of devices, used to be one (Extend-a-stay by Marshall Brass) but M.B. got out of that line so now there is the Stay-A-While (I think that's from Mr. heater, Camping world carries it) and an identical in appearance offering from Camco.

These adapters optionally come with a pair of hoses.. more on them shortly.

They go between the tank valve and the regulator on a Class A with standard POL fittings, You simply turn off the tank , unscrew the left hand thread nut from the valve, screw in the one on the adapter, then screw the original into the adapter.

The hoses
one of the fittings on the adapter is a screw top like on a disposable propane bottle.. There is a hose that fits this and has an "other end" that is identical, this is to provide propane for your grill or other accessory outside the RV, it provides high pressure propane (tank pressure) so you need a grill designed to use toss-able bottles. This hose is 10 feet long.

The other hose is a five footer it is designed to attach to a 20-40 pound propane tank and connect to the "INLET" fitting on the adapter.

Check valves make sure no propane flows tank to tank.

Thing works well, Most RV dealers will have one or the other models.
I have one of these kits coming wed. Will put it on as soon as I get it. I have seen several people use the 100 pound bottle last winter in the campground I was in and I am going to hook up to one this year. The nice thing about the extend a stay kit with the portable bottle is getting it filled. With the MH you have to uncamp and then drive to the filling station even if it is in the campground. With the portable bottle you unhook the bottle and the two campgrounds I have wintered in will come and get the bottle for you fill it and bring it back. The instruction I have read online seem to mirror your description for installation.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:10 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
NHRA, The large knurled cap allows you to hook a gas grill to your propane tank. The small hex head cap is for an Extend A Stay hose so you can use a portable propane tank. You need a 1/4 inch male inverted flair fitting on one side
of the hose and a male POL fitting on the other side.
You might find the hose online but I recently had a propane dealer make a hose for me.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:29 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Thumbs up

I had a 2002 Pace Arrow and was going through a tank of propane in 3 or 4 days. The furnace in Motor homes are very inefficient a better way is to get a portable catalytic heater or one that can be mounted permanently. Big Buddy Makes several different sizes. They really save on Propane.
Mel
Old 11-17-2014, 10:34 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Chuck (Jr. or Sr. ?) the Camco part number for the hose you need should be 59035. That's a 12' replacement hose for the propane supply splitter you have. The downside is that it is intended to be permanently installed. No quick disconnect.

You can also get these hoses in shorter versions for less money. Part number MER401-60 is a 5' hose, etc.
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 01:37 PM   #12

Thanks much and I will certainly inquire ASAP at an RV store. Thanks everyone for your quick and awesome input.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:39 PM   #13

Thanks much. Yes I do see great advantages in getting a catalytic heater or ceramic heater that runs off the generator.
Old 11-17-2014, 02:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcat View Post
Chuck (Jr. or Sr. ?) the Camco part number for the hose you need should be 59035. That's a 12' replacement hose for the propane supply splitter you have. The downside is that it is intended to be permanently installed. No quick disconnect.

You can also get these hoses in shorter versions for less money. Part number MER401-60 is a 5' hose, etc.
Thanks for the Camco number looks like that will work while it sits here for some heat, i have 2. 20 pounders, I'll give it a try.
Now do you have any info for the Quick disconnects ?

Tags
propane