Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2018, 07:21 PM   #1

Surge Guard 41260 Auto Transfer Switch damage

I check my connections in the transfer switch as a yearly inspection. I found a few loose connections and even worse some scorching and damage. I had no indication of a problem at all. Everything was functioning fine. Attached is a picture. I replaced it with a Surge Guard 40350 RVC. More money but I’m hoping for better results.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	75FE4B8D-70CA-4AD7-9E1A-F290A04E4ADB.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	378.8 KB
ID:	211098  
Berndawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2018, 07:51 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
I know you said you check for loose connections in the past but what I see is definitely a loose connection and a lot of arching and burning under load.
IggyTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IggyTech View Post
I know you said you check for loose connections in the past but what I see is definitely a loose connection and a lot of arching and burning under load.
There’s more to it. The ends of the wires were soldered. Not completely round. When it was inserted into the terminal and fastened to 45 inch lbs it broke or initially cracked the switch. The solder definitely didn’t allow all the wire to carry the load compared to the others and I believe that led to the overheating and melting. I cut all the solder off and cleaned the wires then installed them in the new switch. Loaded up the coach with amps and used a heat gun to ensure all the wires were the same temp. All is good in Winnebago land.
Berndawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:39 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i used to check all the connections about once a year, then we burned up a transfers switch, looks just like yours only a bit more black
then the past few weeks we have had terrible power issues with surges and burn t return line and inverter..
so now its 60 days and i will be eye balling all connections
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	transfer switch replaced (8).jpg
Views:	145
Size:	261.9 KB
ID:	211119   Click image for larger version

Name:	2018 burnt surge guard wire.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	234.7 KB
ID:	211120  

Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:51 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My 40250-RVChas been giving me trouble, no burned connections but sometimes doesn't quite switch when connecting shore power. Climb in open the inner bay, take the surge guard top off and press down on the blue contactors and I'm back in business till next time. Replacing with the 40350 involves changing some settings in my SilverLeaf whole house control unit since the communications protocol is different. SilverLeaf says it's easy to do though.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 12:12 AM   #6

Welcome to the forum!

Not sure how to search it, but Grainger has a soldered lug to fit into screw lug connectors that may be for you since you are comfortable with soldering.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:35 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have 41260 transfer switch. In front of it is a hardwired PI EMS. At the pedistal is a portable PI surge.

I check connections in the 41260 and PI EMS a couple three times a year.

I also use the PI portable to provide a check of the pedistal before going to the effort of putting the coach into a space.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
transfer switch, surge guard, switch