Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2017, 01:42 PM   #15

When you lose power, does it come back immediately or does the SurgeGuard go through the test cycle with the 2 1/2 minutes delay? If you also have a portable SurgeGuard, as I do, then the start up should take about 5 minutes. If yes, then the fault is most likely in the shore power, if not then the fault could be the transfer switch.
The pictures you posted are for the load sharing center, it shows how much current individual appliances draw. Your SurgeGuard display should look like this in the attached picture. It shows previous errors as well as incoming voltage and current.

When I had this problem the display showed proper voltage and 0 current which meant that the transfer switch switched over to a power source that was not turned on or on standby, in my case the inverter.
Attached Images

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2017, 06:38 PM   #16

I had the same issue at a COE campground near Yosemite last spring. I had installed a SurgeGuard after buying a used coach and during a one month shake down cruise the power kept dropping as the SG detected something wrong in the middle of the night. I assumed it was the SG I had installed just a month prior to the trip, but I called the ranger the next morning and within 20 minutes an on staff electrician stopped by.
He had to fix something back at the main electrical panel. He mentioned something about a floating neutral or something similar to that when he came back to test the pedestal again. After that incident and for the next 50 campgrounds once on our 5 month round the country trip never occurred again. I guess the SG was just doing its job.

I did find that the 30 amp produced the same issue, but hooking up to 20 amp did not. Turns out the problem was on L1 only. The 30 amp was wired to use L1 also, but the 20 amp was on L2.

-Bill
2006 Allegro Bus 40 QDP IFS, 8.9L Vmspec, 1.5kw Solar + 400w Suitcase, 2@ 50amp & a 30amp Victron Smart MPPT's, 712BMV, SBS, CerboGX, 8.7kw LiFePo4, RR, MS2812, Max Transit, eero 6+ Mesh WiFi, Roof Mounted Starlink In-Motion dishy
BigBillSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 06:54 PM   #17

Most familiar with surge guard, does it give you a code when it drops power?

Sounds like low voltage, so it shuts down, and the clunk sounds like the transfer switch.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 07:46 PM   #18

We were in a park recently when the ATS kept snapping in and out. Turns out that there was up to 7 volts on the neutral line. Progressive Industries unit will allow about 2 volts, but not 7. We swapped sites several times until their electrician bonded the common to the ground at the power post and that did it.

I now carry a grounding rod and wire so that I can run a temporary bonding ground if I need it at a site with that problem.

Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 11:35 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Low voltage, IMO. Put a meter on the post.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 03:27 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliej View Post

Sounds like low voltage, so it shuts down, and the clunk sounds like the transfer switch.

Sorry, meant not familiar with surge guard.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 10:22 AM   #21

Here is an update.

I have a 50 amp coach.

I've put a 30amp adapter on and plugged into the 30 amp plug on the same pedestal.

Since I've plugged into the 30 amp we have not had an issue. We're running on 30 amp which isn't a big deal since we won't need 2 a/c units.

So, I "assume" it's the 50 amp circuit on the pedestal that is the issue.
RadioTropRoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 01:43 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioTropRoc View Post
Here is an update.
So, I "assume" it's the 50 amp circuit on the pedestal that is the issue.
It more likely its just one of the two 120 volt legs that make up the 50amp outlet, and you are pretty lucky the 30 amp is using the good leg. Either L1 or L2 is bad on that pedistal. I voltmeter will let you know which one if you are curious.

-Bill
2006 Allegro Bus 40 QDP IFS, 8.9L Vmspec, 1.5kw Solar + 400w Suitcase, 2@ 50amp & a 30amp Victron Smart MPPT's, 712BMV, SBS, CerboGX, 8.7kw LiFePo4, RR, MS2812, Max Transit, eero 6+ Mesh WiFi, Roof Mounted Starlink In-Motion dishy
Old 12-16-2017, 01:45 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliej View Post

I don't have a remote panal, so I only get red or yellow lights on the device itself indicating which leg is broken.

Yes, there is the proverbial clunk, just like when it finishes its testing and turns on the power after about 2 minutes.

Bill
Old 12-16-2017, 02:46 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLGPE View Post
I now carry a grounding rod and wire so that I can run a temporary bonding ground if I need it at a site with that problem.
Tom
When you pound that temporary 8' ground rod in the ground how in the world do you get it back out when you leave? Have you ever hit a water or sewer line with it? Or worse yet, the underground electrical feed?
Old 12-16-2017, 03:00 PM   #25

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
Or worse yet,[penetrate] the underground electrical feed?
Now that would give you a case of "kinky" short & curly's...
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 05:20 PM   #26

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It is telling you L1 is bad MOST LIKELY the park's problem (Else it would be L1 open instead of ground
Might be your problem but I suspect the park.
Old 12-16-2017, 06:37 PM   #27

If I understand you correctly, you have power at the post but nothing inside your RV. Is your power completely out in the RV now?
LostDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 06:40 PM   #28

Never mind, missed this page on my iPhone...
LostDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, shore power, surge guard