Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-23-2012, 06:25 PM   #1
Fleetwood Owners Club
Surge Guard making loud buzzing noise

I just purchased a 2010 Discovery 40x. I have only been connected to shore power twice but both times it is making a load buzzing noise in the bathroom. I pulled off a panel next to the breaker box to find a Surge Guard model 40250 that seems to be the problem.

Is this normal? Maybe there are some loose wires in this thing causing vibration?

Porkchopx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2012, 06:33 PM   #2
Newmar Owners Club
It's not normal and could be a possible bad relay. Pull the cover and see if you can locate the buzzing noise.

2007 Newmar DSDP 4023
Discovery is seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what no one else has thought.
If you want to see what man made go East; if you want to see what God made go West.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:02 PM   #3
It could be loose electrical connections. I would shut off all power and tighten down on all of the lug screws, all wires.
Outer Banks NC
2005 Allegro Bus 38 ft.
2004 Acura MDX toad
yudamann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:56 PM   #4
Freightliner Owners Club
Does it smell, like arcing may be occuring? Is it hot to the touch, or warm for that matter? If so, there is definately a problem inside the device.
Occasionally, internal parts may shake loose, allowing them to be subject to the 60 cycle hum we have become familiar with through florescent lights and the like.
It may not be field serviceable, so, if it does not smell or feel hot, you may have to put up with it, or move it around, try to re-position it so it does not hum. In all seriousness, if it was mine, I would get it open, or replace it, you really do not want to fool around with electrical stuff that is not working at 100%. They may be expensive to replace, but not as expensive if it completely fails, and causes a fire....
Back to a 5'er after 4 yrs fulltime.
Pulling with a '14 2500 ram, 6.4 Hemi.
Montana High Country 31RE
free-to-roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:00 PM   #5
Freightliner Owners Club
Check with TRC for warranty.
I hard wired my Surge Guard model 34550 into the coach when new, and some time later the relay began a constant loud buzzing noise and the case seemed pretty warm. I used the key to operate in bypass mode until TRC provided a new unit. Replaced under warranty and no hassle. Allowed me to use old unit until new arrived, having to un-wire and rewire twice would have been a pain.
Check your connections at the unit but I think it voids the warranty to open the case...
Hooligan, Pensacola, Fl -U.S. Coast Guard 1956-1985
2016 Thor Siesta Sprinter 24ST diesel
Our Pug "Lily" & "George" the Newfoundland
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:44 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Sometimes it is as simple as the mounting bolts or screws holding it in place just need tightening
Mike Canter
"Gunner" USN Retired, Airdale
2004 Monaco Signature 44' Conquest. Detroit 60
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:49 PM   #7
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It isn't normal.

Since you just purchased the Discovery (if you purchased it from a dealer) I would take it back to the dealer and let them repair/replace it.
Jon & Sue Francis (Retired U.S.A.F.)
Lil Girl-Rescued, Abby Rescued, Peaches Rescued
06 Allegro 35TSA Workhorse Chassis
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:48 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Let me add one more thing. On my previous MH by battery charger would buzz so much it would keep my wife awake at night. I tightened the mounting bolts and it stopped.

You might find this interesting
Surge Guard humming - BAC Forum - beaveramb.org

Read the second question down
Surge Guard® FAQ | Technology Research Corporation
Mike Canter
"Gunner" USN Retired, Airdale
2004 Monaco Signature 44' Conquest. Detroit 60
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:29 AM   #9
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks everyone for the input. I have decided to let the dealer fix the Surge Guard since I am still under warranty.

I will update this thread when I find out what the problem was.

Porky and Lucy
2010 Discovery 40x; 2008 Wrangler Unlimited
On the hunt for MTB and hiking trails!
Porkchopx is offline   Reply With Quote