RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2018, 10:47 AM   #29

…..gosh, I bought a life insurance policy in my 20s but never had to use it …guess I was just lucky....so guess I just got caught up in the "marketing."

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2018, 10:53 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itasca66 View Post
Just bought one for the cord . $75 Camping world will work great . When it's junk I will throw it away get another one . Keeping it simple is the goal .

Itasca55
The most common problem with shore power that causes damage to RV's is low or high voltages, not surges. A good protector will shut off power to the RV when it detects either extreme, a situation which often occurs after one has connected to shore power that initially tested as safe.

The protector you purchased does not do that.

Old 06-22-2018, 11:05 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Glad to see you want to be a test station.....after all, someone needs to be!.....lol
Yup, Me and the million others. I'll let you know when everything smokes.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:07 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
…..gosh, I bought a life insurance policy in my 20s but never had to use it …guess I was just lucky....so guess I just got caught up in the "marketing."
You did, just like RV service contracts.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:25 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I've never used a surge thing on my RVs or boats. Marina electric is the worst.

I don't have one on my house either, do you ?

I'm just not buying into the marketing.

These^^ are your choices, made on your own understanding of potential issues and the odds of those issues affecting you. Surge/voltage extreme protection is more likely to happen to an RV or boat given that they repeatedly connect to electrical sources of unknown reliability. Still, the odds of having it happen to a particular individual are relatively low.

Not having such a device on one's home is not, IMO, analogous. Corded protector strips for sensitive electronics may be a close comparison regarding the "marketing" aspect, however. Again, personal choice as to whether or not to protect sensitive equipment in the home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post

If this is a rebuttal to twinboat's post then, yes, you got caught up in the marketing. So what? It was your choice to get, I assume, peace of mind, for those you'd leave behind.

The odds of a young person dying are low, that's why the premium for such policies are low when you are young. You weren't lucky, you were part of the statistical norm who are still living. Life Insurance is betting that you will live, and the odds are in their favor--by a long shot. Meanwhile, they will receive your premiums, invest it and make a nice long term profit. That's their business model and there's nothing wrong with that, but yes, it has to be marketed to work because the odds are in your favor to never need their product.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:55 AM   #34

As far as life insurance goes, can one leave a forwarding address? Might have to bribe someone......
Old 06-22-2018, 12:19 PM   #35
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiggs68 View Post
Not that I’m a CW promoter, but CW does sell PIAttachment 207982

WOW! Thanks for correcting me! That must be something recent

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
Old 06-22-2018, 12:21 PM   #36
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
Everything?

Everything except the poop pyramid and a broken heart!

Old 06-22-2018, 12:24 PM   #37
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneToTheDog View Post
We have just returned from a two week outing. I was a bit surprised how many people we camped next to....that don't use any type of surge protector.
These same people usually had no type of water pressure regulator either.
A lot of people either take chances, or just don't know any better I suppose.

Many folks, including us, have the hardwired protectors inside the bays so unless you asked they may have had one that you didn't see.

Old 06-22-2018, 01:06 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Many folks, including us, have the hardwired protectors inside the bays so unless you asked they may have had one that you didn't see.
Same with the water pressure regulators. Many are behind the wet bay face panel.
Old 06-22-2018, 01:50 PM   #39

37 years of motorhoming no surge protector . I buy one it's not good enough.
That sounds about right if everyone believes the guy selling EMS units . lol

Itasca55

Just remember what cost the most is the best even if it works or not . wheel spin..
I'm on the first level of paranoia. Lot of you are on 4-5 level of paranoia. I will get there someday. lol
Old 06-22-2018, 02:03 PM   #40
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
Since you only sell PI units, I understand why you wouldn't support Surge Guards.

But if popularity is the "gold standard", then McDonald's is the best place to dine, right?

Sorry, I don’t sell anything. Just an RV Tech specializing in RV electrical systems.

Everyone has a right to their opinion. However, in this case, there is plenty of history to do your research on.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:13 PM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'll also chime in on the PI Hardwired. Already saved me a couple times from low voltage situations on warm days.
Old 06-22-2018, 03:32 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
Same with the water pressure regulators. Many are behind the wet bay face panel.
In some cases, yes. But then also....with rather entry level rigs like our current Winnebago Class C and many others, there is no water bay face panel, or a water utility compartment at all. The water hose simply attaches to the city water inlet right on the side wall of the RV. So even a casual observer can easily see if a water pressure regulator is being used, or not.

One RV park we stayed at on this recent trip even warned verbally at check in, of high water pressure. (in the 90+ range) And it was again noted in their paper handout...along with space number, map, rules, etc.
Walking the dog in the evening, we still noticed some with obviously no water pressure regulator in use.

I have no dog in the fight. Simply an interesting and surprising observation during our travels.

Closed Thread