Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2012, 07:10 AM   #1

Surge Protector??

Hi, newbie here. I understand I need a surge protector...portable vs hard wire. Where does it hardwire in? How do you protect it from theft? Camping world has portable ( last years model) on sale 100 dollars off. Led lights rather than digital readout......thoughts?
Also sewer hose...is there a better brand if I'm going to be at the campground and immobile? Who would of thought there would be so many choices for a stinky slinky.........
What chemicals do you prefer in black tank?
Preferred water (drinking hose) is collapsible a good choice? I'm going to be at a campground....
Water regulator...do I need a gauge?
How long a 30 amp extension cord do I need?
Anything else for start up I'm missing?
Have a place for inline water filter under the sink. Can I go to home depot or do I need an RV brand. Service suggests a filter near white water hose. Do I need both?
RV toilet paper...is it a "rip-off"? Hehehe!!! :-)
Inquiring minds want to know........
Shar

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2012, 08:14 AM   #2

Rexhall Owners Group
I'll comment on a few. I have the Progressive Industries 50 amp unit. Surge protector is a misnomer - it will protect against over/under voltage and incorrect wiring. Installed the hardwired unit so it protects both against poor campground power and generator power. Hardwired was a personal preference - I did not want to connect the device every time we changed campgrounds. Many thoughts on hardwired vs portable, saved us several times. Never tried the collapsible water hose, use the white ones from Wal-mart etc. I use a water pressure regulator. If you do check the Watts units - they generally provide better flow at a give pressure. Lastly, I added a water filter in my water bay. Same unit you use in a house, filters are readily available.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:34 AM   #3

I don't know how much of a difference it makes, but I use the RV toilet paper...it does break down faster than the septic tank system paper we use at home....

I always use a pressure regulator, as for a gauge...I don't have a need to micro-manage my water system, so I have one a couple of preset pressure regulators.

For my sewer hose I use CAMCO Rhino Flex, it comes in various lengths, I have 2-10" lengths. I also have a sewer hose support for the hose.

I use the white hoses from Walmart for my fresh water supply, and I have a collapsible hose for the Sani-Flush system, and regular hose duties.

My Coach came pre-wired with a surge protector, so I do not use an external device prone to theft.

Good luck on your start up...all it takes is money.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:38 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
We use the portable protector with a lockable connector (Camping World). If it gets fried you can disconnect it and still use your shore power, at a different campground!!! I like the cheap brown sewer hose because in collapses tighter. If we were staying for an extended time I'd rather use one of the better ones. I also use the collapsible hose when traveling because it is so much easier to deal with. I use a hard one when we are going to stay a while. The canvas ones only last about a year and the don't like high pressure. We also use a Watts pressure regulator (Lowe's/Home Depot) before the canvas hose, with a short hard hose then a pressure gage then the regulator. We also use two home style filters, first a particle one then a carbon (gets rid of the chlorine taste) with a third one just for drinking water and ice.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:39 AM   #5

Thx PandK,
Where does the surge protector wire in? I have done quite a bit of residential wiring. GFCIs, florescent ballast, light switches, outlets. Multiple site light switches, ceiling fans, new wiring with romex. Is this something easy?
Shar
Old 12-04-2012, 08:49 AM   #6

Surge Protector
Goto Master Catalog and look around. Download and read the manuals. That will give you a complete picture of the protection and configuration you can get. You don't have to buy one of their products, but their info is the most complete I have seen.

Just in general, there are two different protection devices. Surge Protector and EMS (Electrical Management System) Many Surge Protectors will tell you the wiring condition of the campground receptacle as well as high Surge protection. An EMS does all of that and a whole lot more by monitoring the entire system continuously.

You pays your money and takes your choice. I chose an EMS -- about 3.5 times more expensive.

Good Luck
wil01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:45 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharmanrn View Post
Hi, newbie here. I understand I need a surge protector...portable vs hard wire. Where does it hardwire in? How do you protect it from theft? Camping world has portable ( last years model) on sale 100 dollars off. Led lights rather than digital readout......thoughts?
Also sewer hose...is there a better brand if I'm going to be at the campground and immobile? Who would of thought there would be so many choices for a stinky slinky.........
What chemicals do you prefer in black tank?
Preferred water (drinking hose) is collapsible a good choice? I'm going to be at a campground....
Water regulator...do I need a gauge?
How long a 30 amp extension cord do I need?
Anything else for start up I'm missing?
Have a place for inline water filter under the sink. Can I go to home depot or do I need an RV brand. Service suggests a filter near white water hose. Do I need both?
RV toilet paper...is it a "rip-off"? Hehehe!!! :-)
Inquiring minds want to know........
Shar
I use the Progressive Industries HW50C (they also have a 30 Amp version) Electrical Management System. It protects you against EVERYTHING you may run into, including surges, low voltage, high voltage, loose connections, etc. It is also available as a portable unit.

When we started RV'ing 12 years ago I bought a sewer hose called "Smooth-Bor" which has a totally smooth inside so the poop can't build up. The down side of it is that you have to roll it up, it does not collapse like the accordion-type hoses. I roll it up, secure it with a bungee cord, and put in in a plastic garbage bag for storage. This thing is so tough it will probably out-last me!

As for black tank chemicals I use the "Happy Camper". It comes with a money-back guarantee and works great! I don't think you will find it at an RV supply store but you can order it direct. If you buy the large container it is less cost than anything I've found.

Any white water hose such as the Camco from Wal-Mart is fine.

The water pressure gauge is nice to have but not absolutely necessary if you have a good pressure regulator. I like to use a gauge on the RV side of the regulator to be sure it is doing it's job.

I would suggest a 25' 30 amp extension. If you go any longer you may have too much voltage drop.

I use the Camco in-line water filter from Wal-Mart at the CG spigot. I have an under-counter filter inside that takes out all the other things that the Camco doesn't. I change both at least once a year.

If you use the Happy Camper tank chemical you don't need the RV toilet paper.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:02 AM   #8

I can't imagine another camper stealing someones surge protector! Most of us have more valuable stuff setting outside then that!

Stano
Old 12-04-2012, 03:35 PM   #9

Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharmanrn View Post
Thx PandK,
Where does the surge protector wire in? I have done quite a bit of residential wiring. GFCIs, florescent ballast, light switches, outlets. Multiple site light switches, ceiling fans, new wiring with romex. Is this something easy?
Shar
I cut the cable feeding my breaker box and installed the Progressive Industries unit just before the circuit breakers. The way it is in service on shore power and generator power, my preference. Plenty of room to mount the PI unit but access was very tight working with larger stiff cables. Took my time job came out fine.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:16 PM   #10

I have a portable PI system. I made a 50 amp extension cable that I plug into shore power and the other end into the PI. The PI stays in a locked compartment and also out of the weather. I was more concerned about rain (moisture) vs theft when making the extension cable.
dls461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:23 PM   #11

Things to consider when installing an EMS.

You can install it before the Auto Transfer Switch or after that switch.

Install after Auto Transfer Switch.
It will monitor either the shore power or the generator, but consider that the generator is a pretty stable thing without the normal fluctuating problems with shore power.

Installed like this it will not protect the Auto Transfer Switch from problems with shore power -- that's where they most likely come from.

Install Before Auto Transfer Switch
When on shore power, your entire system, including the Auto Transfer Switch will be protected. That switch comes at a pretty high cost if it fails.

You can check the current condition of the generator by connecting the shore power cord with necessary adapters to any 120 volt receptacle served by the generator.

Progressive Industries recommends connecting the EMS before the Auto Transfer Switch, and I agree. Of course, if you chose the portable unit, it will always be connected before the Auto Transfer Switch.

Good Luck!
wil01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:30 PM   #12
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dls461 View Post
I have a portable PI system. I made a 50 amp extension cable that I plug into shore power and the other end into the PI. The PI stays in a locked compartment and also out of the weather. I was more concerned about rain (moisture) vs theft when making the extension cable.
I did the same but not for the weather as its weather proof. I did it for theft protection and clumsiness of hanging it on the pole.
Here is my install.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1473815282.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	411.9 KB
ID:	30058

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:36 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
dont waste your money, they arent worth it, they dont work as advertised. Im an electrical contractor and i wont sell them. The worst and most common thing to happen is to loose the neutral (grounded conductor) and you will have voltages between 40 and 200 volts on your 120 vlt circuits, your surge protector will not help. If you listining to a to a sales man at camping world, take it with a grain of salt. In 35 years of of being in bisiness I have never seen a so called surge protector work as its supposed to.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:38 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
50 amp. Surge guard hardwired to cord before the transfer switch and autoformer. It has shut down the coach a couple of time on low voltage and saved the life of the equipment. A must have! Install to your preferances.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00454.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	168.7 KB
ID:	30059