Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2015, 02:50 PM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by epj View Post
I ordered the PT50C. My wallet aches a bit, but it would downright hurt to buy a cheaper version and it not do its intended job.
You will not regret your decision. Good luck!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2015, 02:56 PM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
I bought the cheaper progressive $100 model
Its a surge protector and also checks the wiring via lights ..Its manual however I plug it in then read the light pattern if ok I plug in the coach . My coach has a built in low voltage shut off .. something the cheapie surge protector doesn't have. I have to look and "read" the lights . its not automatic like the more expensive one but in my case I had other protection built in.

I did at first what you did; few months later I went and bought the more capable one. Watch yourself or a friend have an electrical event that damages your system the extra capability become worth it. So I have a brand new $100.00 just sitting there now just in case I need a back up, at least that is what I tell myself every time I look at it. I do wish you well and luck.
Old 11-03-2015, 03:12 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinder4 View Post
I did at first what you did; few months later I went and bought the more capable one. Watch yourself or a friend have an electrical event that damages your system the extra capability become worth it. So I have a brand new $100.00 just sitting there now just in case I need a back up, at least that is what I tell myself every time I look at it. I do wish you well and luck.
To my thinking The Marquis coach shuts off power at the level i have programed (108 volts ) and has over voltage protection built in ... as long as the wiring checks out correctly
,It wont "change" .. and any surge The progressive will handle or low volts or High volts , (also in my internal program) are covered by the coach .
I had the built in expensive one on my winnebago and it was great .
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 03:29 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm wondering what you paid, as I see it for $315 here at Chris Travels store. He is a member of this board and trying to make a go of being a seller of RV parts. I had an issue with one order and it was resolved in a few days without issues. And the company EEZ Tire admitted it was their error. I have purchased twice from him and the prices were much better than even Amazon with Prime.

I'm looking at WiFi extender systems now, and my purchase the RadioLabs system and will most likely choose Chris as the seller.
Old 11-03-2015, 05:08 PM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by epj View Post
Looking at surge protectors for our MH. 50 amp. Seeing prices from about $115 on to the moon. Not really wanting to spend $300+ on one of these things,...
Ok the one for 115 is either used or junk, There is one model of Progressive Industries that does NOT have an LCD display, that is about the price for it, I do not recommend it as though it does clip spikes.. it does not deal with sustained high/low voltages (Surges/brown outs) like the 300+ one does.. That is, in fact the one I recommend,, Progressive INdustries HW-50C Best price I found was just over 300 dollars.

The "SURGE GUARD" models (TRC) also work good (the ones with LCD. and are cheaper than the Progressive Industries units.

however they have a one year warranty.

Progressive Industries warrants them such that so long as you do not buy a new coach.. it will be the LAST Surge guard you ever buy ((And even then if you take it with you to the new rig))..
Old 11-03-2015, 05:40 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
I had made a number of upgrades on my coach but neglected to install any type of surge protector.

Early last year we had a lightning strike on the pole that feeds the house. We lost a TV in the house and I thought the RV was OK but when we were getting to leave on a trip in early Dec 2014 I found that none of the circuits controlled by my EMS worked (2 AC's, Electric water heater, and washer/dryer) Turned out my EMS circuit board was fried. It cost $450 to fix.

I then started looking for a surge protector and found an open box special on Ebay for $200, it was a Progressive HW50C, I installed it and it worked perfectly. It has already caught 2 issues, reversed neutral and hot & low voltage (less then 105 volt). One of the best investments I've made.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 05:41 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I purchased a Progressive EMS-PT50C for just over $300 over a year ago when I got the new RV and I am happy with it. However looking at the line of Progressive units by following the link in a prior post I find they have a series of "smart" surge protectors. Other than not having a lifetime warranty and a meter window don't they protect you for the same issues at a third of the cost?
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 01:02 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Robmat: from the progressive web site:
SSP-SURGE PROTECTION MODELS

Q: Can I use an adapter and maintain full surge protection?

A: Yes. An adapter can be used and the RV will maintain full surge protection.

Q: Will these models provide voltage protection?

A: No. The surge protector models do not include voltage protection. The surge protectors strictly provide protection during an actual power surge. However, Progressive Industries surge protection units have additional features which include a built-in surge status indicator that not the condition of the surge protector, plus a dual line polarity tester that checks the status of the source prior to use. For complete protection, we recommend our EMS units.

Q: Will these models provide wiring protection?

A: No. The surge protectors do not provide wiring protection. They will identify an improper wire condition.

Q: Will these models automatically reset?

A: Yes, they will automatically reset.
Old 11-04-2015, 04:50 AM   #23

We use this one
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 11:34 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt_1111 View Post
Robmat: from the progressive web site:
SSP-SURGE PROTECTION MODELS . . .
Mark,

Thanks it seems the difference for the cheaper one is no voltage protection which I believe is high and low voltage situations, as opposed to surges, however it seems to cover the other situations or at least alert you a problem. I wonder what data they used in researching the electrical problems at campgrounds to warrant designing a new unit with less features. Perhaps we are buying something with features that the odds of them being used is minimal. Just curious. . .
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 12:04 PM   #25

I had a Surge Guard installed on our old coach.

While camping in Canada we were at an RV park with electrical power issues. Every afternoon we had brown outs. The coach next to me also had a Surge Guard installed. His Surge Guard cut power to his coach while mine did not. My 30 amp plug got hot enough to melt and deform.

When we bought our new coach I compared Surge Guard to Progressive Industries and I decided on the PI PT50 hard wired unit.

My Surge Guard would take about two minutes to analyze power and allow power to our coach. My PI PT50 takes about fifteen seconds.

I also like the lifetime warranty on the PI models

Safe travels. JD
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 01:29 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
I bought a used 50Amp Surge Protector on ebay for $200 with all the Bells and Whistles, looks and works like new.
Old 11-08-2015, 02:19 PM   #27
epj

The surge protector arrived today. Going to the campground tomorrow and will install first thing.
epj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 03:03 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
When I first got my PT30C, I put a adaptor on it, started the generator and checked every 110 sockets in the rv. Found two that were miswired. I believe it came from the factory that way. Of course, you could do the same thing the little led socket checker you get at any box store.