Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2015, 11:15 AM   #1
epj

Surge protector ??

Looking at surge protectors for our MH. 50 amp. Seeing prices from about $115 on to the moon. Not really wanting to spend $300+ on one of these things, but I want one that will work. There is a Camco on Amazon for $229 that looks like it might be pretty good. Made in China. There is a Smart Surge model for $114, made in USA, but it doesn't have the delay on restart. Both have pretty high customer ratings. Any comments on these models, or other suggestions?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2015, 11:25 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
We got our 30 amp. Surge Guard on line, in the middle of winter, for approx. $100 off regular retail from Camping World. Seems like a lot of good deals can be had during the winter months.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 11:27 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I would not bother if you can't spend at least $ 300 for a good one.

Look for one that has a contactor that opens the shore power when it senses it might damage something in the RV. The cheap ones just have surge protection against spikes and don't start with an open circuit. The good ones start with an open circuit and only close the circuit once it senses that the power won't damage anything in your RV or create a safety hazard. This is one time purchase and buy a good one you won't regret it if it saves you an injury or prevents a ruined vacation when it protects your RV against bad power. Since your RV has 50 amp power it is going to cost more because with 50 amp power you have two "hot" feeds from the shore power pedestal that have to be protected where as 30 amp power only has one "hot" feed that has to be protected. If you are willing to hard wire I would suggest you consider a hardwired power management system with remote display. You would get a lot more for your money that way.

http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-In...ds=surge+guard
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 11:46 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You want more than just surge protection.

You dont want to be the first guy into a campsite after Buba just worked on it a connected
The wires wrong. Or connect to pedestal with low voltage.
With old campgrounds, you just cant be sure.
There ix also the safety issue of improper grounds.

Regards,
Dan
Old 11-03-2015, 11:54 AM   #5

If your going to buy one, spend your money wisely, there are Many threads discussing this topic.

Progressive Industries RV Surge and Electrical Protection industry lea
Old 11-03-2015, 11:56 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Agree with what the other have said. You want/need good power protection. Not a place to focus on the cost.

The progressive units are excellent and with lifetime warranty and they provide excellent customer service. Choose the full EMS version, either the hard wired or portable model, in 30 or 50 amp size as needed.

I have used the 30a portable, and the 50a hardwired. The hardwired is more complicated install but more convenient. Both well get the job done.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 12:30 PM   #7

I second the progressive industries unit. It has saved me a couple of times in the last year. A very good unit.
Old 11-03-2015, 12:39 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Another twist: I personally took on the task to put 50 amp service in my driveway. Long story short: Ran the wiring and made two mistakes and the Progressive caught the mistakes, told me what was wrong with the wiring, ran the errors down, made the fix and now have a brand new system that works flawlessly. The Progressive 50 Amp is not damaged and I am in good shape. Also remember the Progressive has a lifetime guarantee, just put your receipt away in a safe place that you can find down the road, lose the receipt and you may have headaches and extra fees thrown at you. After this weekend, seeing first hand what this system provides and protects, I am on board.

P.S. The two mistakes: were high voltage on one terminal and a reverse polarity.
Old 11-03-2015, 12:53 PM   #9
epj

How about the PT50C? Is it the same as the hard wired unit? Looks like it costs about $11 more, which is not significant.
Old 11-03-2015, 01:25 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by epj View Post
How about the PT50C? Is it the same as the hard wired unit? Looks like it costs about $11 more, which is not significant.
Permanent/hard wired or mobile they have the same capability and protection.
Old 11-03-2015, 02:00 PM   #11

I never thought I needed a surge protector in my previous class C, but my new MH came with a 50 amp Progressive unit that was hard-wired in by the previous owner. I was glad I had it when the voltage dropped below 105 volts at a campground this summer and the surge protector shut down the power.
Old 11-03-2015, 03:01 PM   #12
epj

I ordered the PT50C. My wallet aches a bit, but it would downright hurt to buy a cheaper version and it not do its intended job.
Old 11-03-2015, 03:41 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I bought the cheaper progressive $100 model
Its a surge protector and also checks the wiring via lights ..Its manual however I plug it in then read the light pattern if ok I plug in the coach . My coach has a built in low voltage shut off .. something the cheapie surge protector doesn't have. I have to look and "read" the lights . its not automatic like the more expensive one but in my case I had other protection built in.
Old 11-03-2015, 03:47 PM   #14

Epj,
Good decision.

ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote