Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2017, 01:17 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Go Hard Wired. Can't get misplaced or stolen, don't have to buy a lock and locking collar, don't have drag it out and plug it into the pole then plug the cable into it. The fewer connection you have the less chance of creating a higher resistance spot in the line thus keeping the current draw down. Not effected by rain because it's not in the rain.
You can also, on most of them, get a remote display to put in the MH so you can monitor what is going on.
OL I'm done
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2017, 08:43 AM   #16

Also, the hard wired one (with remote display) has a bypass switch. If for some reason, the SP is not working, you can bypass it. I believe if the circuit board sacrifices itself to protect your coach, you can flip the switch until you get another board. You will not be able to find better customer service than Progressive Industries. Hard wired, no fuss, no mess. It's always there.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 04:12 PM   #17

I just installed the EMS-HW50C in my Bounder 35 under a drawer. There were two sets of three drawers above the transfer switch.I removed all the drawers. It was very tight, but I was able to fit the box in. The really hard part is working with the 50 amp wires. They are thick and very hard to work with. The good part is that once it is in, it can't be stolen or damaged by rain.
gbeggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 05:56 PM   #18

Can a Progressive hard wired protector be installed by someone with little electrical experience or is an electrician needed?

And maybe a dumb question but if a portable unite works in the bay, why hard wire? Is it to get the monitor for inside the coach?
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 06:10 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
Can a Progressive hard wired protector be installed by someone with little electrical experience or is an electrician needed?

And maybe a dumb question but if a portable unite works in the bay, why hard wire? Is it to get the monitor for inside the coach?
Yes, instructions are included, hardest part is manipulated the wire inside to the connectors.

I bought the hardwire one for the reason you just stated, I can see how many amps I am pulling while im inside the RV
Old 01-04-2017, 10:31 PM   #20

Go with Progressive hard wired. Don't keep fooling with a portable unit and worry about someone stealing it. There is plenty of room to mount it. Get the remote readout also.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 05:32 AM   #21

The amp meter, is it wired from the surge protector to the Amp readout with an actual wire? Or is it wifi connected like a TPMS?

Bymorris, you said something about a portable unit being stolen. How can it be stolen if you keep it in the coach end of the plugin, in the bay?
Old 01-05-2017, 07:56 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
The amp meter, is it wired from the surge protector to the Amp readout with an actual wire? Or is it wifi connected like a TPMS?

Bymorris, you said something about a portable unit being stolen. How can it be stolen if you keep it in the coach end of the plugin, in the bay?
Hi WyoFree: Not to answer for Bymorris, but I can give you my opinion since I have experience with the portable version. These are designed to attach directly to the power post with a short male pigtail, at the end of your coach power cable. Many people have concerns that someone can steal the unit from the post, so a market developed for locking these to the post. I found that to be a hassle, and since I already have a 50' 50A extension cable that I use to connect at home, I just keep it attached to the extension cable so it never has to leave the coach bay. I could measure no voltage drop for routine use of the extension cable. In summary: I have a 30' power cable, with the surge protecter connected between this cable and a 50' 50A extension cable. When I pull up to a campsite power post, I just connect the extension cable end leaving the rest in the coach bay. I have not found it necessary to require interior readout, but understand there are those that do. Just my $ 0.02 :-)
PackerPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:10 AM   #23

Thanks for jumping in PackerPower,

Electrical confuses me anyway and as it pertains to a motorhome becomes an outright headache about permanent and portable!

Please will someone give me a YES or NO answer!!!

Can you take a portable surge protector, plug it in in the power bay and leave it there just like you would a permanent surge protector?
Old 01-05-2017, 10:14 AM   #24
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
All good advice! I would not consider anything except the Progressive Industries models that protect you against EVERYTHING!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:35 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:

Electrical confuses me anyway and as it pertains to a motorhome becomes an outright headache about permanent and portable!

Can you take a portable surge protector, plug it in in the power bay and leave it there just like you would a permanent surge protector?
Yes - as long as you have an extension cord to reach the power post.
Edit to correct: I have a 30' 50A Camco extension cord, see this link: https://www.amazon.com/Camco-55195-E...extension+cord
PackerPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:48 AM   #26

Quote:

The only issue is that the plugs may be different. I have the marine locking-type 50A plug in my bay and the only portable I can find is for boats.
MonkeyClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 03:49 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Are they needed

I have been searching the Internet to try to find some statistics on whether or not surge protectors are needed. I've been RVing for 16 years and never had a problem nor have I talk to anybody that's had a problem because of a surge. I would install a surge protector if I could just find some evidence one would be necessary so far I haven't. I would love to hear from those who have had a problem with surge that don't own a surge protector thanks
tdelisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 07:25 AM   #28

Ford Super Duty Owner
Progressive EMSLCHW50

Talk to this guy:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f50/every...ed-140959.html
Caswelld is offline   Reply With Quote