Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2018, 07:33 AM   #1

Surge protector. Do you have one and where is it connected??

I have mine on order. I got a Progressive Industries EMS-LCHW50 for $249 on amazon. I have seen some debate on where to put it. The more I research and as my experience grows I am putting mine after the transfer switch in order to protect my system from my generator as well as bad shore power. I recently had some AC issues causing me to get out a meter and realized I was getting 143v from my generator. It was due to a bad voltage regulator. Had there been and EMS in place I would have known sooner. god only knows how long the generator has been dumping that kind of power into my system. So it just left me wondering where's yours and What kind of unit are you running?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2018, 07:39 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn6596 View Post
I have mine on order. I got a Progressive Industries EMS-LCHW50 for $249 on amazon. I have seen some debate on where to put it. The more I research and as my experience grows I am putting mine after the transfer switch in order to protect my system from my generator as well as bad shore power. I recently had some AC issues causing me to get out a meter and realized I was getting 143v from my generator. It was due to a bad voltage regulator. Had there been and EMS in place I would have known sooner. god only knows how long the generator has been dumping that kind of power into my system. So it just left me wondering where's yours and What kind of unit are you running?
I have the same unit and installed it the same way you did. So far so good.

Good Luck and keep us in the loop
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 08:54 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
I have same unit hardwired in my power bay.... Installed it in front transfer switch, so it checks power BEFORE it goes into it.... Once it determines everything is OK, it then allows power into transfer switch.... Installed it about 5 yrs ago and it has saved my coach on more than one occasion....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:28 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Same unit... same location... after the transfer switch. Works great for both shore power and generator power.
Old 06-24-2018, 09:31 AM   #5

30A hardwired in electrical bay before transfer switch.
Old 06-24-2018, 09:38 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I have the PI HW50C hardwired unit. I put it before the transfer switch.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:49 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have the PI 50amp unit hardwired inside the coach below the main electrical panel. This was the second I have installed and I removed the feed off the panel and put it into the EMS and purchased an a couple of feet of the same wire to connect from the EMS to the main panel. Found that by mounting inside you can add a couple of feet of slack making it very easy to get secure connections and then mount unit storing the excess slack wiring behind the breaker box. Mounted the display above the breaker box and check it several times daily. It is very helpful to be able to easily monitor the loads on each side of the line. The only disadvantage of mounting inside is the loss of protection for the transfer switch in the event of a supply issue.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 04:24 PM   #8

Howdy!

We use Progressive EMS because they have a lifetime warranty. Our first 5er we installed a hard wire unit. Our second 5er we went with portable unit. I like the portable because I can check the camp site without first being in it. On more than one occasion I have check the power using the portable unit to see which site has good service. Also the lifetime warranty works. Our portable unit is four years old and a few months ago the back came off. I contacted Progressive sent them pictures and within a few days I received a new and improved unit. They didn’t even want the old unit back. Great customer service.

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 04:30 PM   #9

I put mine in the shore power line before the transfer switch. My transfer switch should drop out in the event of problems with the generator. My main concern was problems with shore power; the Progressive's primary job is to protect the transfer switch.
Deep Water D is offline   Reply With Quote