Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2013, 07:25 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Smile surge protector etc.

I ordered a 36la and I am waiting for it to be added to the build scheduled. I am trying to purchase the things that i will need when it arrives. Does anyone have a suggestion for a surge protector and whether it is better to have a portable one or a hardwired one. Name and model would be greatfully appreciated. How about sewer hose macerating one or regular one?
Your help will be greatfully appreciated
Thanks
Don
mrbhistory is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2013, 07:34 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hardwired ones don't walk away on their own and don't get forgotten when packing up in a hurry.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:38 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Hardwired ones don't walk away on their own and don't get forgotten when packing up in a hurry.
X2
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:39 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Mine is plugged in inside a compartment and can be bypassed if need be (not likely). Off the top of my head I don't remember the name but in addition to a surge protector it will boost low voltage and I think reduce high voltage to help keep the voltage within limits when using campgrounds with marginal electricity.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:04 PM   #5
KIX

Look at Progressive Industries products. Go hardwired.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:07 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
EMS from Progressive Industries. Hardwired. Or modify your power cord to place the portable unit inside - he goodness of this if for some reason the EMS ever malfunctions it can be bypassed.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:45 AM   #7
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have the Progressive Industries, (portable) EMS-PT50C. I have had it since we had the 5th wheel, and when we purchased the MH it was so, so easy to just take it with us.

There is a tab on the cord for attaching a securing device. I use a chain that will wrap around the pedestal, faucet, and anything else near it, of about 3 feet with two padlocks. I could still walk away but it is a little more difficult and walking around with bolt cutters is a little obvious.

In perspective, walking around with a screwdriver in one's pocket is a little more of an accepted thing, so to speak, and "pop" there goes the electrical door, "Jerk" there goes the electrical cord for the copper, "pry" there goes the hardwired protector. (leaves a lot of damage)

In the seven years that I have had the portable EMS-PT50C, knock on wood, it has never left me. It loves me.

And maybe no one has ever had their compartments broken into?

Happy trails.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:52 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer
What? Me hurry??
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:58 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Wayne -- are you saying that if you drive away with the hard wired SP there is more damage to the coach than with the SP chained and locked to the power post? I guess that's true provided the post isn't the weakest link. In which case the post may yoyo it's way through your bedroom window. Never seen or heard of it happening, but if it could happen, it would probably happen to me. Lol.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:15 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Another vote for Progressive Industries! I installed the HW50C (hardwired) on a 5er that we pulled for 10 years, and another one on the MH when we bought it last year. I wouldn't leave home without it!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:23 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
Ditto the Progressive Industries 50amp hard wired one. Can be bypassed without removing. Lifetime Warranty.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:32 AM   #12
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Wayne -- are you saying that if you drive away with the hard wired SP there is more damage to the coach than with the SP chained and locked to the power post? I guess that's true provided the post isn't the weakest link. In which case the post may yoyo it's way through your bedroom window. Never seen or heard of it happening, but if it could happen, it would probably happen to me. Lol.

No! "Take it with us" refers to unplugging and taking it to the next RV one would purchase. Geeeshhh!

Oh! If something should go wrong and warranty is required, it is so much easier to pack up the portable one and send it back. That has happened twice to me. (Just my luck, eh!)

Nothing is secure in a vacant motorhome or RV, it just is a peace of mind and appears to be secure. (Oh oh! The worry warts will be jumping on me now.)
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:45 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Another vote for Progressive Industries! I installed the HW50C (hardwired) on a 5er that we pulled for 10 years, and another one on the MH when we bought it last year. I wouldn't leave home without it!
That and the Amex Card,,,,,,just kidding.
I installed the PI 50A hard wired version with remote. All the reviews on this product are 5 out of 5.
Fortunately, I have not had it talk to me yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-733641333.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	528.8 KB
ID:	37662  
Old 04-27-2013, 05:26 PM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
I have the hardwired 50 amp Progressive unit and its excellent.... Could have probably installed it my self but I had a local electrician do it... Cost me $100 bucks.... Local RV guy wanted $275....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote