Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2011, 10:56 PM   #29

Tiffin Owners Club
Mine is supposed to arrive on Monday. Bought through Amazon, but coming from someplace else.

FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2011, 05:04 PM   #30

Better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it. Consider it equal to a half a tank of fuel

Old 06-05-2011, 05:06 PM   #31

Consider the cost as a half a tank of fuel!
Old 06-05-2011, 06:48 PM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
I purchased a portable, 50 AMP, from Camping World and used it as portable for a while. I was always worried that someone might "walk off" with it (a $300.00 loss). So I had an electrictian install a male/female connector to the box in the coach and on the coach/side of the 50 AMP cord. Now, I can just plug it all together and stuff the surge protector into the cabinet and lock the door. No more worries! I never have to take the protector out of the cabinet, just pull out the cord as before.

However, if I want to "unplug" the surge protector, it is no major job! I had to do that once, while I as encamped.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:08 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
The Progressive Industries EMS-50HWC is more than a surge protector. Protects against high, low line voltage, reverse polarity, open neutral or ground + surge protection and monitoring. great manufacturer support.
Exactly what my TRC SurgeGuard does, and when mine was destroyed by lightning TRC replaced it at no charge. I have the hard-wired model. I made a "jumper wire" that I used while waiting for the replacement SurgeGuard.

Quote:
wonder if Winnebago's power management system already has one built in.
My Winnebago EMS does NOT have built-in protection ...I don't know of any that do.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:50 PM   #34
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
I made a "jumper wire" that I used while waiting for the replacement SurgeGuard.
I don't know how fried yours was but according to Progressive on the phone if it takes a crash you can pull the main cover off then the smaller cover with the hole in it to manually push in the switch then take a broken Popsicle stick or something similar to hold the switch down/in then screw the cover back on.

Please disregard this post AFChap has a Sureguard unit and I don't know what I was thinking when I replied about a Progressive procedure
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:18 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
Exactly what my TRC SurgeGuard does, and when mine was destroyed by lightning TRC replaced it at no charge. I have the hard-wired model. I made a "jumper wire" that I used while waiting for the replacement SurgeGuard.

My Winnebago EMS does NOT have built-in protection ...I don't know of any that do.
Progressive Industries will also will help you with any install questions. Spend some time placing the unit in different positions with an eye on leaving enough room to have some flexibility's in the power cord.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:35 AM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Not to start a product war here but just state facts. The Progressive Industries Surge Protector has twice the surge capacity as the TRC Surge Guard.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:14 AM   #37
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
I don't know how fried yours was but according to Progressive on the phone if it takes a crash you can pull the main cover off then the smaller cover with the hole in it to manually push in the switch then take a broken Popsicle stick or something similar to hold the switch down/in then screw the cover back on.
In my original post I put Sureguard instead of Progressive EMS-HW50C I apologize for any confusion I may have caused

In fact the whole post was in error I was talking apples while AFChap was talking oranges.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:59 PM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
The Progressive Industries Surge Protector has twice the surge capacity as the TRC Surge Guard.
It would be much more helpful if you would share what definition of "surge capacity" you are using, perhaps whose definition that is, and the capabilities of each product ... ie SHOW us the facts you are refering to.

All I know is that my SurgeGuard has cut power many times due to high or low voltage, etc and has never failed me over 7 years of use ...unless you want to count the lightning strike when I still received far less damage than rigs around me. Can any such product successfully handle a lightning strike?
Old 06-06-2011, 06:33 PM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This subject always turns to "my dog is bigger than your dog". The important thing is we answered the OP's post and he knows he needs protection and I'm sure will have a product soon. I'm extremely satisfied with my Progressive and there are others perfectly happy with their SurgeGuard. Oh and my dog is bigger than yours.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:34 PM   #40

Tiffin Owners Club
Mine arrived via UPS today and I'll get to try it out in a couple of weeks. Boy that thing is big and heavy. Do most of you lay it on the ground? I guess it depends on how it's plugged in and all. I suppose it's water proof since it will be in the elements some times. The one I got is a TRC 34750.
FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:35 PM   #41

I;ve got the portable 50 protector from progressive...Im still figuring out the best way to secure the darn thing. It doesnt seem that the plastic case thingie from CW 'fits' this application, although I havent actually tried it yet.
Bucksmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:27 AM   #42

Let us know if you continue to have a problem.