Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2015, 01:36 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer55 View Post

what would be a good 50amp surge protector for a reasonable price, seen some on amazon that are reasonable I will build my own before I buy one for 4 to 5 hundred dollars.
Mark,

The best 50 amp unit for the price is the Progressive Industries EMS HW-50C. You can purchase one for just under $300 HERE. Or you can Google around the Internet to see what price the competition is selling it for.

I would suggest NOT to buy a unit JUST for surge protection. On your travels surge spikes are the least of your worries and any surges will happen VERY infrequently if ever versus OTHER power problems such as LOW voltage or sometimes even HIGH voltage or a dropped neutral which can be VERY costly to you.

Take my opinion for what it's worth but if you look around the iRV2 site you will quickly notice that the HW-50C comes highly regarded along with a Lifetime Warranty on the device no matter who owns it and great customer service.

I don't mean any disrespect but you'd be hard pressed to build one with the features and quality of the HW-50C for less money.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2015, 05:43 AM   #16
GKU

I purchased the EMS-HW50C, as I said before it works great. I am checking with Progressive to make sure there is no problems hooking up to 30amp service. I don't think there will be as with both 30 and 50 amps there will be +/- 120v on each leg.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:41 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKU View Post
I purchased the EMS-HW-50C, as I said before it works great. I am checking with Progressive to make sure there is no problems hooking up to 30amp service. I don't think there will be as with both 30 and 50 amps there will be +/- 120v on each leg.
George,

A 50 amp unit will work on 30 amp shore power when using the proper adapter. A 30 amp unit will work on 50 amp shore power when using the proper adapter.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 01-25-2015, 12:20 PM   #18

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Mark,

The best 50 amp unit for the price is the Progressive Industries EMS HW-50C. You can purchase one for just under $300 HERE. Or you can Google around the Internet to see what price the competition is selling it for.

I would suggest NOT to buy a unit JUST for surge protection. On your travels surge spikes are the least of your worries and any surges will happen VERY infrequently if ever versus OTHER power problems such as LOW voltage or sometimes even HIGH voltage or a dropped neutral which can be VERY costly to you.

Take my opinion for what it's worth but if you look around the iRV2 site you will quickly notice that the HW-50C comes highly regarded along with a Lifetime Warranty on the device no matter who owns it and great customer service.

I don't mean any disrespect but you'd be hard pressed to build one with the features and quality of the HW-50C for less money.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

$288.70 shipped off Ebay!!!
Progressive 50 Amp 240V Hardwire Surge Protector EMS LCHW50 | eBay
Old 01-25-2015, 12:23 PM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A note on those dogbone adapters.

ALL the adapters sold for using a 50 amp RV on a 30 amp outlet **SHOULD** deliver power to both legs..

MOST: do just that

SOME: are faulty (Some are shipped that way, usually from overseas).
Old 01-25-2015, 01:11 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoysRV View Post
Great price but it is for a completely different model than what I had referenced in my post.

For those reading this thread and trying to choose what model of Progressive Industries to purchase and from where, make sure you are comparing apples to apples with model numbers and prices.

There are significant differences between the two EMS models, the 50 amp EMS-HW-50C model and the EMS-LCHW50, which are both referenced in this thread.

One has an embedded display in the main box (EMS-LCHW50) whereas the other has a remote display that you can mount in a more convenient location for viewing (EMS-HW-50C).

The latter is capable of adding a second remote with an A/B Switch plus the remote has an emergency Bypass Switch in case the unit malfunctions whereas the former unit does not have that capability.

So before purchasing make sure you do your homework to select the right one for your application.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 01-26-2015, 12:14 AM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I installed the EMS-HW50C in my coach with the remote display, I know it works down to 15 AMP. I have two dog bones, 15 to 30, 30 to 50. I have a 2000 Watt portable inverter generator, Champion I wanted to test the generator so decided to plug coach into it. I plugged into the generator waited for the EMS to close, never did. Looked at the display it had the error for open neutral. Read manual of generator and called manufacturer, both confirmed the neutral is not bonded. If it protected on 15 amp it will protect on 30 amp as long as you use the correct dog bone(s).
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 05:25 AM   #22
GKU

Great Information, I am going to test the dog bones that I have to make sure that they work before leaving on our trip to Alaska this Summer.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:08 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
...I plugged into the generator waited for the EMS to close, never did. Looked at the display it had the error for open neutral. Read manual of generator and called manufacturer, both confirmed the neutral is not bonded...
This is dangerous! The main source of power must have the neutral and ground bonded at their source and only at their source. The commercial power does this at the main breaker panel serviced from the power company. The generator and inverter should do the same.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 08:51 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Here is an excellent article written by Mike Sokol explaining Generator power equipment and how different they can be versus shore power.

Generator Ground-Neutral Bonding | No~Shock~Zone

Bottom-line, not all generators and wired the same.

I would suggest people who don't understand electrical systems to read and bookmark this web site.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 01-26-2015, 10:09 AM   #25

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImagineIF View Post
This is dangerous! The main source of power must have the neutral and ground bonded at their source and only at their source. The commercial power does this at the main breaker panel serviced from the power company. The generator and inverter should do the same.
Yes, I realized that and bonded them internally in the generator.

Quote:
Here is an excellent article written by Mike Sokol explaining Generator power equipment and how different they can be versus shore power.

Generator Ground-Neutral Bonding | No~Shock~Zone

Bottom-line, not all generators and wired the same.

I would suggest people who don't understand electrical systems to read and bookmark this web site.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Very good web site. Would have been easier to make the bonding plug instead of taking the generator apart to get to the wiring.

Thanks
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:25 AM   #26

Send a message via Skype™ to hammer55
wiring

so wired between the panel feed so it can be mounted inside the RV, I realize it is the same, but dont want to mount it in the compartment with the cord
Old 01-27-2015, 07:06 AM   #27

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Great price but it is for a completely different model than what I had referenced in my post.

For those reading this thread and trying to choose what model of Progressive Industries to purchase and from where, make sure you are comparing apples to apples with model numbers and prices.

There are significant differences between the two EMS models, the 50 amp EMS-HW-50C model and the EMS-LCHW50, which are both referenced in this thread.

One has an embedded display in the main box (EMS-LCHW50) whereas the other has a remote display that you can mount in a more convenient location for viewing (EMS-HW-50C).

The latter is capable of adding a second remote with an A/B Switch plus the remote has an emergency Bypass Switch in case the unit malfunctions whereas the former unit does not have that capability.

So before purchasing make sure you do your homework to select the right one for your application.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Great, Thanks Richard!
Old 01-27-2015, 08:32 AM   #28

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Someone said "I know it works down to 15 amp"

Actually it works down to ZERO amps, it only measures amps, it does not care about amps

it cares about voltage, and in this area it works over a fairly narrow range, something like 109 to 130 volts, PER LEG. it does not care if the legs are the same, or different (L-1/l-1 or l-1/l-2) it only cares if the voltage between HOT and Neutral is in that range (And a few other parameters)

If the voltage is outside that range it reports the voltage and shuts you off (or prevents turn on) if the voltage is in range (And the other things it monitors are likewise which, they nearly always are), you get power.