Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2015, 12:54 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
A note on those dogbone adapters.

ALL the adapters sold for using a 50 amp RV on a 30 amp outlet **SHOULD** deliver power to both legs..

MOST: do just that

SOME: are faulty (Some are shipped that way, usually from overseas).
I was sold one at North Trail RV that had a 50 amp female on one end and a 30 amp male AND a 15 amp male on the other. I thought that you could use whatever kind of supply outlet you had.

What it is suppoed to do is if you only have a 30 amp service, the 30 amp plug gives you 30 amps and by plugging the 15 amp in, you get an additional 15 maps giving you a total of 45 amps at a 30 amp pedestal. What they failed to mention, is the the two legs of the plug are kept separate, so if you don't have BOTH plugged in, your surge protector will not engage. Don't ask me how I found this out

BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2015, 02:36 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPoland View Post

I was sold one at North Trail RV that had a 50 amp female on one end and a 30 amp male AND a 15 amp male on the other. I thought that you could use whatever kind of supply outlet you had.

What it is supposed to do is if you only have a 30 amp service, the 30 amp plug gives you 30 amps and by plugging the 15 amp in, you get an additional 15 maps giving you a total of 45 amps at a 30 amp pedestal. What they failed to mention, is the the two legs of the plug are kept separate, so if you don't have BOTH plugged in, your surge protector will not engage. Don't ask me how I found this out
What they also filed to tell you is that if you try to use the 15/20 amp plug in a GFI protected outlet it will NOT work. It will trip the GFI.

It has to be an older campground that hasn't upgraded their electric to present code.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Old 07-03-2015, 02:53 PM   #31

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Great price but it is for a completely different model than what I had referenced in my post.

For those reading this thread and trying to choose what model of Progressive Industries to purchase and from where, make sure you are comparing apples to apples with model numbers and prices.

There are significant differences between the two EMS models, the 50 amp EMS-HW-50C model and the EMS-LCHW50, which are both referenced in this thread.

One has an embedded display in the main box (EMS-LCHW50) whereas the other has a remote display that you can mount in a more convenient location for viewing (EMS-HW-50C).

The latter is capable of adding a second remote with an A/B Switch plus the remote has an emergency Bypass Switch in case the unit malfunctions whereas the former unit does not have that capability.

So before purchasing make sure you do your homework to select the right one for your application.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Richard, in your opinion, which would be the better unit? You stated you installed and liked "EMS-HW-50C" model better? What would be the advantage of having a remote display? Wouldn't you have to go to the main power source anyways?

How hard was it to run the remote cable?

Essentially, are these the same units, with the only difference being the remote display? I plan on installing one soon, as I figured my luck was running out by not having one. Thanks again for your help!
Old 07-04-2015, 05:23 AM   #32

If I may, the advantages of the remote display and the second display are simply a matter of convienence. Most times, the unit is mounted on a wall in a storage bay. If you have the unit with the embedded display, you may need to contort your body to view it. With the remote display, you can route that cable to a convienent location. I have mine mounted to the back side of the storage bay door on a hinge. With the bay door open, the display swivels down for easy reading. I would give credit to the person I borrowed the idea from but I can't remember who it was. They were from these boards though. Anyway, it makes reading the display much easier. I mounted this display outside because when you are first hooking up, that is where I will be interested in viewing the the electrical conditions. By the way, the cable for the remote display is a data cable. It looks like a phone cable with a modular plug on both ends.

The remote display is also where you will view any error conditions that occur. If L1 or L2 voltage goes below 109 volts, the SP will trip and display an error on the display. With a single display, out to the storage bay you go to read the error. Now the convienence of the second display with the a/b switch. After you initially hook up to power, slide the a/b switch to b , and have a second display mounted in the coach. No more trudging outside to determine an error or check on the line status. The switch on the display itself will turn the SP off and let the power come through. This would be beneficial if the SP malfunctioned and you needed to take it out of the loop. I have not done the 2nd display yet, but it is on my project list. So far, in less than a year of ownership, I have had to make the trip to the storage bay 3 times. All three trips were for low voltage.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-04-2015, 05:48 AM   #33

Carolina Campers
Surge Protector Question

And you thought this would be a simple question.... Whew....
Old 07-04-2015, 08:58 AM   #34

George
I am no electrician--its all magic to me. However, some folks who are knowledgeable have advised only the Progressive Industries unit is capable of responding fast enough to stop some major damage. Only the hard wired Progressive models have the 'full' protection besides just spikes. No need to check the pedestal with a meter that might not work right anyway, as the Progressive will not allow damaging electricity to enter your coach. Our Progressive has shut us down from power or not allowed power to enter our coach 4 times in over 5 years of use. In each instance the campground folks came out and said everything was okay. It was not okay and the Progressive was right each time. Measuring pedestal voltage with a meter apparently does not require enough of a 'load' to show the problem. One time it was due to low voltage. While everything would work w/o the Progressive (it shut us down), I understand that all those other folks on the same line who were blissfully running their air conditioners, etc. were unaware of the damage being done to them by operating at such low (less than 105 volts) power. So, I suggest throwing away your Surge Guard and getting the hard wired Progressive with additional remote display mounted somewhere inside your coach. The amount of damage that can/will be done to just your electronics given enough unkown campgrounds far outweighs the cost of a Progressive and installation.
Old 07-04-2015, 09:03 AM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have the Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C Hardwired 30 Amp RV Surge Protector and the additional remote display. I view the display in the electrical bay at the time I plug in and then monitor the second remote display in the bedroom location. I check it occasionally to see how many amps I am drawing and for any previous error codes. I can view it from the hallway so it only takes a glance and I have the info I am looking for. Just convenience, so far I have not encountered any significant errors.

Tom Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote