Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2015, 11:56 AM   #1

SURGE PROTECtOR QUESTION

My Tiffen has a surge protector on it, but I want more just in case. The coach is 50A, but it has the 30A adapter which I have used. If I buy the external surge, can I use the 50A surge with a 30A adapter. Will it work an protect, or do I have to get one of each.
Thanks
Pops90gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2015, 12:06 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
SURGE PROTECtOR QUESTION

Pops, if you get a good quality EMS (electrical management system) such as from Progressive Industries, it will protect your coach from not only surges- which are very rare-- but also from a host of other power defects that could eventually damage your equipment. Whether your unit is hard wired or portable, you can plug into either 50A or 30A and be confident that you are covered.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 03:09 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
EMS and surge protection are two different things and while it is true, Progressive makes a transfer switch with Surge Guard built in. I would recommend you trust in the Built in surge protection as it is and use adapter if you need to; they will not hinder the proper operation of the system you now have. Good luck and enjoy the forums as much as the campgrounds.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 06:14 AM   #4

Thumbs up

Thanks for the input.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:44 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
I have a hardwired 50A Surge Guard installed.

It works with a 30A hookup.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 06:16 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
If I buy the external surge, can I use the 50A surge with a 30A adapter. Will it work an protect, or do I have to get one of each.
Thanks
The direct answer to your question is that a 50A surge/power monitor device will handle either 50A or 30A shore power. You don't need two.

But if you already have "surge protector", you might want to check to see if it already does both surge protection and power monitoring, i.e. low & high voltage, reversed wiring, etc. Do you know the make & model?
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 03:42 PM   #7

My Tiffin has a Surge Guard, Model 41260, 120/240 50A 60HZ
Thanks
Old 05-16-2015, 11:08 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

The 41260 provides surge protection and detection of open neutral and reversed polarity on the campground wiring, but does NOT provide over/under voltage monitoring.
Surge Guard 50A Automatic Transfer Switch with Limited Protection | Technology Research, LLC

If you want the additional protection features, you can replace it with the #40250 or #40240, or add an external device such as the Surge Guard 50A portable #34750 or the Progressive EMSPT50C.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 01:24 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
The 41260 provides surge protection and detection of open neutral and reversed polarity on the campground wiring, but does NOT provide over/under voltage monitoring.
Surge Guard 50A Automatic Transfer Switch with Limited Protection | Technology Research, LLC

If you want the additional protection features, you can replace it with the #40250 or #40240, or add an external device such as the Surge Guard 50A portable #34750 or the Progressive EMSPT50C.
I now have the TRC 40250 but have kept my voltage controller and PI PT50C in front of it. I would rather buy a new 50C or VC than another 40250. I like knowing that the transfer switch is getting the protection it's providing everything down stream. Especially since the old transfer switch somehow died on the 120 side when a park transformer blew. Even protected, a transfer switch can go. Unprotected, it can certainly go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1431804004939.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	94423  
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 01:25 PM   #10

Pops
Progressive Industries RV Surge and Electrical Protection industry lea with the $92 remote is what I suggest. The portable unit costs $431 and can be lost/left at site by accident or stolen--yikes--and the hardwired link above along with the remote would be less than $100 more for better protection due to the remote. The cheaper portable unit does not protect agains open ground/lo-hi voltage and other features, so its not worthwhile. i have been told by knowledgable folks only the Progressive is fast enough to save damage to your coach. 3 times in the nearly five years I have used a Progressive unit it has blocked any electricity from entering out coach. All three times it was later determined that the campground electricity was at fault--even though all three times a Ranger told us it was okay. Checking a pedestal with a hand meter doesn't put any load on the line and will often show everything is okay even when it is not. The number of electrical items in a modern coach that can be damaged by improper electricity is staggering. Customer support has always been there to help you as long as you have a cellphone connection. Do this right and you won't be sorry.