Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2013, 11:32 AM   #15

Thor Owners Club
Newbie here asking a dumb question but rather a dumb one then be sorry later. How critical is it to have a surge protector? We just bought our unit and were at Camping World when I heard some people talking about buying one and buying a lock to keep people from stealing them. Made me wonder. Obviously those in this forum would recommend one since you all have one but how necessary are they? How often do you really have power surges that effect you? I'm thinking we might just need to get one too.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2013, 11:42 AM   #16
doc

Appalachian Campers
Nomads, the Progressive Industries is what we have. It is the 50 amp portable we bought with the MH we had prior to this one. It would have saved me some major bucks if I had had it when we got into a new RV park in Kentucky with some mis-wired posts. Progressive costs a bit more but they protect in several different ways - from mis-wired to low and high voltage and surges.

Old 10-22-2013, 02:23 PM   #17

I have the hard wired progressive unit. It was an easy install and the company returns your calls promptly. I never thought much about rv campground hookups into my brother in law told me of problems he had had with low voltage. After installing mine we stopped at an rv park in Montana. They had low voltage. It saved my bacon. Worth every penny spent.

Bob
Old 10-22-2013, 02:36 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I Tried

I tried to install a PI hardwired unit but found that the connectors were just a bit too small for the wires in my coach. There was no way I was going to remove any of the strands so I ended up with a TRC.

The TRC is not as popular as the PI but it identifies miswired pedestals and stops surges. No voltage checks but also no delay when I plug in. And I don't have to lock it down so it doesn't get stolen.

I'll likely replace it with a PI when it goes.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:41 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomads-KandC View Post
Newbie here asking a dumb question but rather a dumb one then be sorry later. How critical is it to have a surge protector? We just bought our unit and were at Camping World when I heard some people talking about buying one and buying a lock to keep people from stealing them. Made me wonder. Obviously those in this forum would recommend one since you all have one but how necessary are they? How often do you really have power surges that effect you? I'm thinking we might just need to get one too.
If you are patient, you will eventually have a pedestal issue, or power surge, or over/under voltage and associated damage. Then, you will also need patience while dealing with the insurance company and/or their subcontracted repairers.

If you are wise, you will forgo the damage and the insurance hassles and get a Progressive Industries product that does it all.

I had lightning strike a power pole, and a brown-out, within 3 months. No damages. My neighbors has some big troubles.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:13 PM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
Moisture intrusion issue

We bought the portable PI 50 amp EMS and used it on a 6 month east coast trip this summer, with plenty of rain. Right now the EMS is back at PI due to moisture intrusion, causing false high voltage readings.

PI rep. told me they are aware of this problem with the portable units and working on a solution.

Hopefully, we'll have our replacement unit soon.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:28 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandK View Post
I have had the Progressive Industries 50 amp model (hard wired) for about 5 years, very pleased with the unit. Would buy the same one again.
X2!

The PI model works with all power levels...50, 30 and 20 amp service. I plug the coach into a standard house current, 15 amp, 110 volt plug in my storage site and it works just fine there, too.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:59 PM   #22

I think the important part is that you're looking for power protection. In many campgrounds, low voltage is much more likely than a surge. Hard wired Progressive was/is my choice
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:06 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We have had a hard-wired TRC 50a unit for 9 years. It works with all power levels, does everything the comparable Progressive does...disconnects for high voltage, low voltage, etc. Excellent customer service the only time we needed it. When we got a direct lightning strike that fried the SurgeGuard, they replaced it at no charge.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:40 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddypaws View Post

I tried to install a PI hardwired unit but found that the connectors were just a bit too small for the wires in my coach. There was no way I was going to remove any of the strands so I ended up with a TRC.

The TRC is not as popular as the PI but it identifies mis-wired pedestals and stops surges. No voltage checks but also no delay when I plug in. And I don't have to lock it down so it doesn't get stolen.

I'll likely replace it with a PI when it goes.
Muddypaws,

Another alternative is to use the Progressive Industries 50 amp Portable model but mount it in your electrical bay where the shore power cable comes into your coach. Find a junction box where the electrical can be separated, then install a female 50 amp plug on the end of the shore power line. This is where the PI Portable would plug into, then install a 3-5 foot 50 amp Male pigtail on the line that goes to your transfer switch. This end would then plug into the PI Portable unit completing the circuit.

Some people have opted for this method instead of the hardwired unit.

I actually wired my hard wired HW-50C unit this same way. So if it has to be removed I can plug in the bypass and still have power.

just a thought.....

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PowerMaster-04.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	215.6 KB
ID:	48372   Click image for larger version

Name:	PowerMaster-05.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	224.4 KB
ID:	48373  

Name:	PowerMaster-07.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	221.4 KB
ID:	48374  
Old 10-22-2013, 07:57 PM   #25
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Highly recommend the Progressive Industries. We use the hard-wired HW50C but they have the same thing a portable version. PI has a great reputation for service and the best warranty!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:45 PM   #26

Forest River Owners Club
I've had the hardwired 50amp PI unit and it's fantastic..... Saved me numerous times that I know of.....
Old 10-22-2013, 09:40 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Like Richard - my PI portable is strapped into my electric bay as is my Power Master Voltage Controller. Cut the power cord, attached new plugs - power comes from pole to Voltage Controller - then to PI SP and to the coach. Any issues with either component - unplug it and plug into to the other - or bypass both. No problem with rain or theft. It isn't the most high tech install but the plugs are sound and nothing is going anywhere and we don't worry about post issues.

Name:	image-735939017.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	520.8 KB
ID:	48379
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:12 PM   #28

Our first rv was a class C, which we had for 7 years. During this period we didn't have a surge protector or know about them (my fault). When I traded up to a class A, I wanted to be sure I had everything to ensure a safe outing. This included a quality surge protector. This purchase took a lot of research since there are so many brands out there. I settled on Progressive Industries, in part, because of the lifetime warranty. Every other product was only 2 years. And sure enough, about the 3rd time we were out the power shut off, which I later discovered was due to low power at the pedestal. If I'd not had the surge protector who knows what may have happened to the appliances?Already, money well spent.

As far as security, the PI product has a metal tab attached to the power cord that allows you to secure it with a pad lock, which I attach to a bike cable wrapped to the rv. Works great!