Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2013, 09:28 PM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Inside the bay

I was in the process of doing exactly what you described and actually bought most of the parts to do it. If I ever switch to the PI unit that's exactly what I'll do.

Doesn't the PI unit have to be mounted vertically?
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2013, 09:32 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddypaws View Post
I was in the process of doing exactly what you described and actually bought most of the parts to do it. If I ever switch to the PI unit that's exactly what I'll do. Doesn't the PI unit have to be mounted vertically?
Nope. Electrons dont care. Upside-down is fine, if you like.

I have a PT-50C. 2 years locked to the pedestal and nobody messed with it. At 300 bucks and 2 deductibles already saved, I am way ahead. But I dont stay where stuff walks away. Dont even lock the bays!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:38 AM   #31

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nxkharra View Post
Thank you. I assume this works if the campground has only 30AMP. I do have pig tail adaptor from 50 amp to 30 amp.
I have the hardwired progressive and have used it with a couple of adapters to plug into a 115 volt 20 amp house outlet. On one occasion the ground in my extension cord broke and the unit would not let my power on in my coach until I found the broken ground and repaired it at which point it let the power through with no problems.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:25 AM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My Confusion

Sorry for the confusion. I tried the TRC Model 34560. The installation instructions do specify that it cannot be mounted on a horizontal surface and that was the only place I had enough space for it in my power bay and still be able to see the indicators.

The fact that they make a locking device for them probably means that a number of them have walked off in the night. We've had stuff stolen in state campgrounds.

I probably should have bought the PI EMS-HW50C with the remote display to start with! Looking at the install instructions it would have been much simpler install.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:59 PM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
Dumbest Question Ever?!

Ok, I get what could happen with a lightening strike or a high power surge, but what gives with low power or no ground, etc? How can than damage the unit? I think I am going to have to "sell" one of these to the husband and would like to know of what I speak.
AZGypsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:46 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZGypsie View Post

Ok, I get what could happen with a lightening strike or a high power surge, but what gives with low power or no ground, etc? How can than damage the unit? I think I am going to have to "sell" one of these to the husband and would like to know of what I speak.
No selling needed, just smart common sense to keep the integrity of your RV electronics and motors from going TU.

No ground is only dangerous to you and anyone who have their feet on the damp ground and then touch any metal portion of the RV. They will generally get a shock.

No neutral will send 240 VAC into your coach which should only have 120 VAC. It's obvious what happens next once the smoke clears.

Low voltage usually puts an undue stress on motors which are in your A/C's which then causes them to burn out earlier than normal.

High Voltage will cause something similar to motors and other electronic devices except they are now over stressed.

A direct lightning strike will get somewhat absorbed into the Surge Protector circuits depending on how far away the strike occurred. If it was a direct hit, nothing will help.

For $300, it is very cheap insurance to know that you are protected 24/7 while hooked to shore power.

Just ask some people who have smoked their RV how much it cost them to replace everything.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:03 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
PI 30 hard wired with the remote display. It was not hard to install. I like the display as it helps manage the load in the summer, ie. AC, Microwave , coffee maker etc. Not to mention the peace of mind over the voltage issues. Its great insurance.
ghutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:59 PM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
How far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghutch View Post
PI 30 hard wired with the remote display. It was not hard to install. I like the display as it helps manage the load in the summer, ie. AC, Microwave , coffee maker etc. Not to mention the peace of mind over the voltage issues. Its great insurance.
I am seriously thinking of 'selling' one of these to my DW. How far can the display be from the unit?
Old 10-23-2013, 06:20 PM   #37

Ok so alot of you like PI over TRC? I've been told that the PI does monitor both lines while the TRC only does L1 for surge. Anyone know differently?

I personally like the PI unit over TRC because it is repairable when something happens.

Jim
InfinityJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:48 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
The unit that has the remote display comes with a 13ft data cable. Just fish it to you chosen location, mount and plug in. A data cable is a 4 wire telephone cable, but the wire sequence is different from a phone line. If you need a longer cable, buy the 4 wire at a hardware, stripe the ends and crimp with a phone cable end. watch the wire order. Only one hole needed at the mount location, just big enough for the clear clip end. Mounts with 2 small screws.
ghutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:57 AM   #39

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have the one Camping world sells (Hey I go it for fifteen bucks if that tells you anyting)

I'd much rather have a Progressive Dynamics.. And some day I will.. but not this week.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:32 PM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Just installed the hardwired Progressive EMS. Only tough part of the install was working with the stiff 50 amp wires. Otherwise it was not hard to do. Nice having the comfort of not worrying about the next electrical connection. And there is kind of a cool factor knowing the status of the electric service
Old 12-06-2013, 10:32 AM   #41

All as recommended i switched mine to progressive and am very happy i did. Except i heard from a fellow RVer that our coach already has a Surge Protector in it. Ours is an Itasca Meridian 36m. So it seems I have an extra layer of protection or may be I shouldnt bother using it. As it is subject to theft. Cost over $300.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:35 AM   #42

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nxkharra
All as recommended i switched mine to progressive and am very happy i did. Except i heard from a fellow RVer that our coach already has a Surge Protector in it. Ours is an Itasca Meridian 36m. So it seems I have an extra layer of protection or may be I shouldnt bother using it. As it is subject to theft. Cost over $300.
If you have the PI then you have specs on what it does other than surge protection. If you have any materials on what "protection" your coach cane equipped with, compare them. Call mtg and get them. I will be surprised if they are equivalent. There are many threads on how to mount the portable in a bay - not at the power post. There are also post locking mechanisms if the permanent mount doesn't suit you.

I believe you will find the PI is superior to anything from the factory. Or take that other guys word for it and get your money back. With the lifetime warranty from PI - you are set for life btw - bet that is not the case with anything from factory unless it is a PI.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote