Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2013, 08:51 AM   #1

Surge protector, Voltage regulator who comes first?

For those of you who have both which one do you put closest to shore power.

I have the Progressive Industries 50 amp Hardwire Surge Protector EMS-HW50C already installed.
Progressive Energy Management System 240Volt / 50Amp Hardwired w/ Remote Display
Wired in under the bed near the Transfer switch.

Just picked up the Surge Guard Voltage Regulator - 50 Amp
Surge Guard Surge Guard Volatge Regulator - 50 amp

And the Shoreline Reels Hand Crank 50 Amp Power Cord Reel
Shoreline Reels Hand Crank 50 Amp Power Cord Reel With 34' Cord

I plan to mount these in the compartment, but then I had a thought.

Does the Surge Guard Voltage Regulator Need Surge Protection?

Or is it able to handle surges and I only need to protect the Coach?

Ted.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2013, 09:28 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

The voltage regulator goes closest to the power pole and the HW50C comes after. This is stated right on the Surge Guard page for the Voltage Regulator, i.e.

Quote:
Using the Surge Guard Voltage Regulator in conjunction with a Surge Guard® RV power protection product provides the ultimate combination of low voltage and Surge Guard protection. The Surge Guard must be plugged in after or down stream of the Surge Guard Voltage Regulator. A variety of Surge Guard products protect your RV from: High/LowVoltage, Open Neutral, Miswired Pedestals, and Surges

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
The voltage regulator goes closest to the power pole and the HW50C comes after. This is stated right on the Surge Guard page for the Voltage Regulator, i.e.
Cool thanks
Old 01-22-2013, 05:37 AM   #4

If one places the surge protection nearest the power source and the voltage regulator next, the surge protector will protect the voltage regulator from damage due to a surge. This could save a few hundred bucks.

However, if this is done, it could cause inconvenience in the event there was no surge but simply a problem with the voltage being a bit too low or high that the voltage regulator could have remedied without interrupting your day.

The question becomes: are you willing to lose a few hundred bucks for the sake of convenience?

Because I rarely find the voltage regulator is actually needed, I usually place the surge protection first. In the event that my rig is shut down by the surge protector, I check the voltage at the source. If it is "off" by a factor that the voltage regulator could solve, I then put the voltage regulator first and the surge protection next until I move to another site with proper voltage. This may cause a bit of inconvenience, but I may save my voltage regulator from a surge.

There're a lot of things I do to save a little money, but often at the cost of inconvenience.

Life is full of choices.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstreamer6 View Post
If one places the surge protection nearest the power source and the voltage regulator next, the surge protector will protect the voltage regulator from damage due to a surge. This could save a few hundred bucks.

However, if this is done, it could cause inconvenience in the event there was no surge but simply a problem with the voltage being a bit too low or high that the voltage regulator could have remedied without interrupting your day.

The question becomes: are you willing to lose a few hundred bucks for the sake of convenience?

Because I rarely find the voltage regulator is actually needed, I usually place the surge protection first. In the event that my rig is shut down by the surge protector, I check the voltage at the source. If it is "off" by a factor that the voltage regulator could solve, I then put the voltage regulator first and the surge protection next until I move to another site with proper voltage. This may cause a bit of inconvenience, but I may save my voltage regulator from a surge.

There're a lot of things I do to save a little money, but often at the cost of inconvenience.

Life is full of choices.
I plan to hard wire everything in the bay, so I can unroll and plug in, then when I am done unplug and real in the cord, the cleaner and simpler the better.

Ted.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:38 PM   #6

Finished this up yesterday decided to bolt the reel and voltage reg in the bay but made everything plug in so I have many possible combinations and can move them to my next coach some day
Old 03-13-2013, 03:58 PM   #7

More pictures to come
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	018.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	369.0 KB
ID:	34841   Click image for larger version

Name:	017.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	360.8 KB
ID:	34842  

Old 03-13-2013, 04:10 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Look-in goodddddd.......
Old 03-13-2013, 04:43 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Hi GULFSTREAM37,
I'm a bit late to this thread, consider going to Installation of 50A Autoformer and EMS and read post #30. After losing 2 voltage regulators to bad neutral, I will place the surge protector first. By reading and taking action, you'll save yourself quite a bit of $s.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:54 PM   #10

The "device" should be installed closest to where it us needed.

Okay...

What does that mean...

Simple...

Surges come from the campground power (unless coach hit by lightning)

Electronics and motors in coach are funny about out of spec voltages.

So the surge protection should be closest to the source of the surge, then the voktsge regulator closer to electronics and motors
Old 03-13-2013, 09:15 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Does anybody supply a voltage regulator and surge supressor as one combined unit instead of having to buy seperate?
Old 03-14-2013, 07:39 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi GULFSTREAM37,
I'm a bit late to this thread, consider going to Installation of 50A Autoformer and EMS and read post #30. After losing 2 voltage regulators to bad neutral, I will place the surge protector first. By reading and taking action, you'll save yourself quite a bit of $s.
Thanks Gary.

I have read the instructions, Several times On My Surge Guard Voltage Regulator, and if you follow the connection procedures and look at the LED lights it tells you if there is a Problem before any power passes through the Voltage regulator, this should avoid any problems according to the manufacturer.

Maybe Autoformer does not have this feature?

Please correct me If I am wrong.

Ted.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:40 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAILERKING View Post
Does anybody supply a voltage regulator and surge supressor as one combined unit instead of having to buy seperate?
No I looked in to this Also.

Ted.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:55 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Hi GULFSTREAM37,
In my instances, the problems happened well into the stay, not when initially connecting to shore power. For me, the "surges" RVers talk about, may well be bad neutral lines. Bad neutrals don't just happen over night. Those who make electricity their profession tell me this occurs over time due to lack of maintenance. The first time it happened, I had to read up on the subject. In both instances the resort had an electrician in to investigate the problem. All they did was start at the point the electricity enters the resort and tighten all connections throughout the resort. I walked and watched the electrician (the second time) as he tightened connections at the pedestals. I was shocked at how many turns were needed on some of the pedestals. This frightens me much more than almost any other potential electrical problem. I'll bet not many resorts or campgrounds have electrical connections on their annual maintenance list. The electrician said loose connections are a common problem. The connections do loosen over time.

I have talked to Surge Guard on several occasions. For me their overall goal is to ensure the customer receives the full benefit of their products. For this to happen the voltage regular needs to be first on the shore power line. That puts the voltage regulator at risk. Based on the specs of the products, I am fine with the voltage regulation I receive having place the regulator behind the surge protector.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote