Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2007, 01:45 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Can anyone explain the difference of a 50 amp surge protector and a 50 amp energy mgmt. system? Obviously I can see the cost difference but which one do I actually need?
I would like to get one or the other to protect my coach.
Thanks in advance for the help.

2017 Forest River Heritage Glen Lite 34' Travel Trailer
BobD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2007, 01:45 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Can anyone explain the difference of a 50 amp surge protector and a 50 amp energy mgmt. system? Obviously I can see the cost difference but which one do I actually need?
I would like to get one or the other to protect my coach.
Thanks in advance for the help.

Old 03-23-2007, 02:05 PM   #3

BobD,

Think you and I are thinking along the same lines. Today I was out looking at both a straight stick surge protector (pole mount) and a Progressive EMS system today. Walked away more confused than when I started. I'm anxiously awaiting some responses. I will say I am leaning towards a hardwired unit whether it be a EMS or a surge protector (which they do make however the two place I went to here in the Tidewater area did not hve in stock).

V/R
Jeff
Old 03-23-2007, 03:26 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
A surge protector only protects against surges, that is excessivly high voltage.

The Progressive EMS protects against surges, low voltage, open line, neutral or ground, reverse polarity and more.

CLICK HERE for EMS info.

CLICK HERE for surge info.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 03:30 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I'm not an electrician, but I'll give it a shot.

The surge protector is for "surges" only whereas the the other will protect from surges as well as high and low voltage problems caused by inconsistent power demands, i.e. <104v or >132v. "Brown outs" can be just as damaging to motors.

I'm assuming when you say energy management system you are not referring to the on board system in some units that will allow, for example, 2 AC's to run when <50a is available.

I'm sure you'll hear from those who actually know the difference. But till then, I hope this helps
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 04:15 PM   #6

Bob
I cannot add much to what is alread said; however we added the progressive protector to our 99 MH which did not have the energy mgt system. When we traded in on our 04, I thought the energy mgt system and the protector were the same, so I left the progressive protector on our 99. When we got home, I found out that they were not related at all. Had to buy another one.

The energy mgy system regulates what electrical unit(s) to operate. If there is not enough amps, it will shut down several electrrial units to meet the amps available.

The progressive system monitors spikes in the line, low/high voltage, polarity and keeps your a/c ( and all your electronics) from crashing from a power surge.

Talked to one couple who had been in Mexico in their new coach at the factory who were without the progressive system. They had to replace every electrical/electronic unit in their MH. Many thousands of $$'s. They were adjusters so they got the CG insurance to pay.

Therefore, I would not leave home with out the progressive protector, but got along without the energy mgt system. s/Toby
Old 03-23-2007, 04:31 PM   #7
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Route 66:
A surge protector only protects against surges, that is excessivly high voltage.

The Progressive EMS protects against surges, low voltage, open line, neutral or ground, reverse polarity and more.

CLICK HERE for EMS info.

CLICK HERE for surge info. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can I assume then that this one would be a portable 50amp surge protector with EMS?
http://www.progressiveindustries.net/PT50C.asp
Old 03-23-2007, 05:18 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Yes, you are correct, but the hard wired unit can't be stolen, and the display mounted in the coach lets you know what's going on without going outside.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 05:42 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
BobD: I use a 50 amp hardwired "SurgeGuard" by TRC, I installed the unit so it protects on both Line voltage and Generator input.. This unit detects reverse polarity, or voltage on the ground wire, shuts off power if voltage drops below 102 volts or above 132 volts. It has a 2 minute+ delay to restore power to protect the AirCond. compressor, and provides electronic surge protection. It has a key to bypass the protection circuits. It also has a remote indicator panel which I did not purchase..I've had the unit for several years and it has worked (Shutdown)in a low voltage situation. About 3 years ago I had a problem and TRC was very helpful troubleshooting and replaced the unit with no hassle.. (used the keyed bypass until new unit arrived)
A little long, but I've been satified with the protection and the support.

TRC
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 07:46 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks to all who responded. It is obvious that I want more protection than just for surges.
Therefore I will look to purchase the Progressive EMS product.
Again thanks for all the help, this forum has always been very helpful and quick to respond to my questions and concerns.