Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2015, 05:58 AM   #29

I just went to a Class A 50 amp and will get one before I use the RV. Just too expensive if things did go wrong. BTW ... I have a 30amp surge protector for sale for the Class C I just sold. used it only 2 times. Check it out in the classifieds on this site.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2015, 06:06 AM   #30

Do you have insurance on your car, RV , home, and/or life? A surge protector is insurance to protect against the bad power pole in the RV park, power surges, lighting strikes, etc. It is not a gimmick!

Currently I have one that plugs into the power pole and I plug my electric cord into the surge protector. I am looking to hardwire one in the coach so I do not need to deal with the heavy portable model.

Old 05-08-2015, 06:44 AM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We have this one from Progressive Amazon.com: Progressive Industries SSP50 Smart Surge: Automotive
When you connect up to the CG pedestal you leave the coach unhooked first, plug in the protector, flip the switch and read the LEDs. Then you know it is safe before connecting your expensive stuff. Then start over by turning off the juice and connecting everything.

To me just that first connection test is worth the $100. I am not sure we have ever "needed" but just the peace of mind is worth it.

Any time we have been in a CG where I thought there was any chance of it being stolen I either use my extension (50amp) cable and hide it underneath or put a padlock on the pedestal. Not sure how the CG would like the padlock so we "forget" to ask.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 05:04 PM   #32

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
i don't have the progressive unit, but a surge guard 50 amp. Love it, to me, just the peace of mind was worth the cash. While I can't say it stopped any surges yet, I don't plug in without checking the power and even if it's good at that second, it doesn't mean there won't be a surge or under/over voltage situation in the future.
NMRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 08:25 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to CruisinCondo
I installed the 50 amp Progressive industries unit and am very happy with it. My only question is WHY DON'T MANUFACTURERS INSTALL THESE AS STANDARD EQUIPMENT?
Old 05-08-2015, 08:42 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Perhaps the real question is why would you want to save a couple of hundred bucks at the risk of a $50,000+ RV?
AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 08:44 PM   #35

Just like all of the previous posters have said, it is one of those necessary purchases to protect your rig. We had TTs and 5th wheels for years and years and we never used one but once we upgraded to our Class A, I decided it was necessary. There is just too many electrical problems that could arise because of power issues at some of the campgrounds. It has saved us on 2 occasions and I was so glad to have it. I use the portable one and I always lock it to the power pedestal. I don't want to lose it, too much money.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:54 PM   #36

Surge Protectors, are they gimmicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinCondo View Post
I installed the 50 amp Progressive industries unit and am very happy with it. My only question is WHY DON'T MANUFACTURERS INSTALL THESE AS STANDARD EQUIPMENT?
Well, they could. But they won't! All about cost.
But if you add PI units, MCD shades, rope lights under the slides, Alcoa wheels, and a plethora of other prefered upgrades, and the all end up to be high end ($) rigs like Prevost, DSDP, EC and such.
What is important is that you spent a few coins on the right stuff!
So, Bravo to you.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 09:41 PM   #37

I installed the PI 30 amp ems last year and it kicked in a few times last summer. During a particularly nasty storm, the campground went through open grounds, low voltage and high voltage. We got through without any damage thanks to the ems.
Old 05-08-2015, 10:02 PM   #38

Well,
I pretty much know the value of a surge protector. Most computer geeks really push using them so you don't fry expensive computers and all that's related. So, it kind-a goes the same for a much larger piece of equipment, like all the electronics of a motor home.

But, my question is, and I think it goes along with the OPs question, you can get one for a 50A system that hovers around $120 (the one that most of you have bragged about) or, you can pay up to as much as $350 or more. If you have protection, enough 50A system, in a $120 unit, then why pay for a $350 unit?
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 10:34 PM   #39

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm getting a little confused by some of the posts. Some seem to be talking about and using a simple device to check the source wiring before plugging in. I'm apparently going to be the first to say those may be somewhat of a gizzo. The same job can be done with a DMM.

Now, the much more expensive surge protectors and voltage monitors are a different story. My question about them is simply, portable or permanent. Which is preferred and why?
LakeKerrGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 11:41 PM   #40

The $350 unit not only protects from high or low voltage but also from wiring faults (open ground, neutral not bonded to ground) and incorrect voltage on each leg of the post.

I went with permanent, that way I'll never forget to use it or loose it. Plus, you can bypass it if you need to with the flip of a switch.
Old 05-09-2015, 01:01 AM   #41

Forest River Owners Club
I have the progressive industries 50 amp hardwired unit and know for a fact it's save my rig on numerous occasions. It's those older CG's and SP's you need to be careful with. They weren't built all those years ago to handle these big rigs that are out there today.

Also - I wired my unit so that it checks power BEFORE letting it go to the transfer switch... Save my switch as well as rest of my rig...
Old 05-09-2015, 07:24 AM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeKerrGuy View Post
I'm getting a little confused by some of the posts. Some seem to be talking about and using a simple device to check the source wiring before plugging in. I'm apparently going to be the first to say those may be somewhat of a gizzo. The same job can be done with a DMM.

Now, the much more expensive surge protectors and voltage monitors are a different story. My question about them is simply, portable or permanent. Which is preferred and why?
Ours is the portable, simple unit. No digital readout, just LEDs that let you know what is you have coming in. The short version is if the top two red lights are on and the next two green are on, you are good to plug in. You just connect it without the coach plugged in first to see if it is OK. It still works as a surge guard after the initial check of course.

HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote