Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2015, 09:16 AM   #57

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottS View Post
Makes sense to me. Campground assigns you a site, you drive up and plug the pedestal checker in first. If it checks out good, set up your site. If it checks out bad for any reason you explain what you found and ask to be assigned a different site. Including the time to get in and out of the vehicle this would only take one or two minutes. Since it would be something quick and simple to do it would also be easy to get in the habit of doing. I like the idea.

Got it. Takes me back to the original question I posed, portable or permanent?

Seems like portable makes more sense. I'm going to admit I have neither. I have just been checking the source with a DMM and have been concerned about not having the ability to know what happens to the voltage under load.
LakeKerrGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2015, 09:31 AM   #58

Winnebago Owners Club
Definitely Not a Gimmick

We also have the Progressive Industries 50amp unit. We chose the portable option since we will be upgrading coaches some day -- it's just one less thing we will have to buy.

Amazon.com: Progressive Industries EMSPT50C Surge Protector: Automotive

For security of the unit, we use one of those heavyduty bicycle locks and wrap it around the pedestal and the pigtail of the PI. If we are in a specious location, we plug a 50amp extension cord into the pedestal and then plug the PI between the extension cord and the cord from the coach. The connection with the PI stays locked in the electrical bay -- nobody knows that we have it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Was the very first accessory we bought for the motorhome.

\ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 12:44 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Stolen? Never heard of it...Not a valid reason IMHO. ... Never happened! .. Some have inside, others outside. I think having either is a victory against power issues.
Agree. 20+ years RVing, and ours has never been tampered with. People just don't seem to notice them there. I don't even bother to lock it up.

I've always had portables so as not to have to disturb the RV wiring, and to be able to keep it when we trade RVs. Just sold a 5th wheel, and the PI device is still mine.
Racklefratz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 02:31 PM   #60

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I had a portable surge protector on my stationary coach. Last June we had a freak storm and within 20 minutes there were gallons of water flowing. My surge protector saved my coach by some how keeping the water out. My post was low to the ground and sumerged. I think the coach would have fried it's circuts otherwise.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:55 PM   #61

After working with elect for a couple of years and listening to the guyshowing me how to hook up my RV warning me about Camp grounds, I my self took the first opportunity I had when I got it home. I compared cost of what I paid for my RV and all the appliance in side and know it is a very good investmentby on my part. I have listen to others that had the misfortune of not having one kind of scary if you know what I mean. The only thing I can say is, It is like mywife, when I fire up the RV both goes with me at all times. Hope this helps and hope to see you out on the road not parked in a repair shop. Take care my RV friend. Jimmy Smalley Parttime RV full time retired.
JimmySmalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 07:39 PM   #62

I also will not plug into anything without my Progressive Industries unit! Saved me a few times! Money well spent! I

Rickmc & Moski
2008 Newmar Kountry Star 3910, Caramel, Cummins 400 HP ISL

2021 Newmar Baystar 3226
rickmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 12:04 AM   #63

The first year we started snowbirding we didnt have an EMS ( electrical management system) and we lost a TV, and a converter from bad power at RV parks. Then I bought one and since buying it the Progressive has warned me several times about bad power and I will not plug into that pedestal. So yes, they work, yes they are worth it and no they are not a gimmick.

2001 American Eagle 40 US 8.9 ISL, towing 1999 Cherokee or 2008 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 with Polaris RZR in the back.
Jimalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 12:14 AM   #64

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Been Rv'ing since 1957, have NEVER lost an appliance or electronic unit due to low power or power surge and have never owned a surge guard. I did burn out a Hughes Autoformer that I tried to run two heat pumps on though. It was one of the infamous 30 amp internal with 50 amp connections and I did overload it. Friend rebuilt it at no cost.
The Magna came with a Progressive hard wired unit. But it does have some pricy electronics in it so it's a good idea for it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 01:26 PM   #65

Was in Maine in a full CG at the end of the power line. 90 degrees. PI unit cut coach power. Was 99V by the time I looked at the gauge. Two A/C motors gone in 2 other rigs.
It happens!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 03:00 PM   #66

Convection microwave, coffee pot, phone chargers, home theater system, Directv reciever...all in one shot due to floating neutral at a state park in Mass.

Do the math.
Lobstah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 03:39 PM   #67

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just yesterday I read the saga of someone who does not have an EMS.. Some "Frind" hooked him up (30 amp) To 240 volt.

Now he may get lucky.. Sounds like all he lost was his converter.. but we are not yet sure.
Old 05-23-2015, 06:51 PM   #68
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Surge Protectors, are they gimmicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlabit View Post
I have this portable unit.

http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-In...urge+protector

It has saved me from two bad pedestals in a two year period. Best money I have spent.

That's the same one I have. I NEVER plug into a pedestal until I check it with the Progressive. It's also invaluable insurance knowing the Progressive will shut down power if anything goes amis after plugging in.

No gimmick.

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 08:13 PM   #69

Not a gimmick! Very cheap proactive protection device.
jrwalkerpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 08:22 PM   #70

I can't believe people are still asking this question. REALLY? If you camp often and even look at the condition of some of the power pedestal you plug into, that is the answer right there...