Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2011, 09:58 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
There is your problem, dump the TRC units and buy a Progressive Industries unit that will give you FULL protection from all power problems EXCEPT for a direct lighting strike.

HW-50C with remote is one unit that I would suggest. They make many others depending on the way you want to install the EMS unit.

Only my opinion and thousands of others.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2011, 10:11 AM   #30

Now he's confusing equipment and terminology. Some have MOV's in them, some don't. But last time I payed attention, none offered the protection of a full Progressive OR TRC unit. I have the equivalent TRC, and they are exactly the same.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:26 AM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by The General View Post
Voltage Regulator | Technology Research Corporation
NOTE: The TRC Voltage Regulator is not a protective device and the connected RV will not be protected from damage should an open neutral or surge develop during the course of operation. The fault indicator panel is for indication only.
Using the TRC Voltage Regulator in conjunction with a Surge Guard RV power protection product provides the ultimate combination of low voltage and surge protection. The Surge Guard must be plugged in after or down stream of the TRC Voltage Regulator.

Steve
Hi Steve,
I'm confused. You quoted my post on MOV's and then posted a link to The Surge Guard Voltage Regulator. If your implying that this unit has surge protection features, I agree with you; although the site doesn't list the joule rating so it's hard to say to what degree of protection you are getting. The best approach is to buy as much protection as you can afford because some is better than none at all.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:43 AM   #32

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to The General
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
Hi Steve,
I'm confused. You quoted my post on MOV's and then posted a link to The Surge Guard Voltage Regulator. If your implying that this unit has surge protection features, I agree with you; although the site doesn't list the joule rating so it's hard to say to what degree of protection you are getting. The best approach is to buy as much protection as you can afford because some is better than none at all.

Rjay,

Looks like the best full RV electrical protection, at present, is the versitile Powermaster VC-50 power booster in conjunction with Progressive Industries built-in EMS-HW50C surge protection.

EMS 3580 joule rating doubles TRC Surge Guard's voltage protection and, as you stated, there's no joule specs on TRC's voltage amp booster which only boosts at 10%.

Did I get it right?

Steve
2007 Saturn Vue RedLine
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 01:24 PM   #33

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piledrive View Post
This probably has been asked before, but I've been reading about fires, electrical burn-ups etc. without the use of some kind of line protection to the RV. I haven't purchased one as yet for our MH but will do so shortly.
The question is, if one is at a park that supplies a defective electrical hook-up, or there is a large spike, does your Insurance cover the loss of TV's, Converters etc., or is this a case of all damage is on the MH owner?
So far, no one has addressed this to my knowledge.
Great forum, keep up the good work and thank's in advance for any and all input from members.
Don
Great information and direction, however no one has answered the original question!
Has anyone submitted an Insurance claim for such damage? If so, what was the outcome?
Do not assume that I'm ungrateful, just would like anyone's experience.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:19 AM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piledrive View Post

Great information and direction, however no one has answered the original question!
Has anyone submitted an Insurance claim for such damage? If so, what was the outcome?
Do not assume that I'm ungrateful, just would like anyone's experience.
I believe your question was answered back in post #2 by The General.

However, the main point of discussion afterwards is why would you even want to buy additional protection riders on your existing policy when you can purchase devices to prevent ANY electrical stuff inside your coach from damage, not just a few specific devices listed in the insurance rider you purchase? Insurance riders are expensive and do not cover labor.

Everyone that I have talked with that has sustained a loss due to bad power had to replace everything themselves. Including one newbie who had a relative install a 30 amp outlet in the garage by a licensed electrician for them to use when visiting, unfortunately it was wired wrong, 240 Volt instead of 120 volt and he toasted almost everything inside the coach.

Once you hear the bzzzzzzzt, your finished. He now has a Progressive EMS HW-50C unit and wishes that he had it before plugging into that 30 amp outlet.

Only my opinion.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:39 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
. . . a Progressive Industries unit that will give you FULL protection from all power problems EXCEPT for a direct lighting strike.
Tx for mentioning that. I think I lot of folks think their pedestal surge protection will protect their RV from a lightning strike or transient.

In case of thunderstorm, disconnect from pedestal. And hope you put non-conductive pads under your metal levelers.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:39 AM   #36

That will do nothing to stop an errant strike

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 09-05-2011, 11:11 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post
That will do nothing to stop an errant strike
Disconnecting from the pedestal and using non-conductive jack pads (as opposed to nothing or wood) will NOT stop an errant strike.

A lightning transient can come in via the pedestal or metal jacks (which are attached to the chassis).

However, doing the above will reduce the risk of electrical damage from a strike because (at least for a Class A) your rubber wheels isolate you from earth ground.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:08 PM   #38

I told this gruesome story in an identical thread on RV Forums a few weeks ago. But the short version here is there was a news truck here in LA that managed to poke it's mast into some HV that in the end caused one of the people to lose several limbs. Anyway several of the tires were wet when the antenna made contact. The path between the wheel and ground instantly cauterized and turned into a conductor, not a good one, but close enough. As high voltage as this was, it's nothing compares to what lightening can do. There was a lot more that went on that day, but after watching this happen there is no convincing me that anyone is going to isolate themselves from a direct hit.

If anything, what you REALLY want is to bleed off that energy evenly and to a known path, not hold onto it until it decides how it's going to leave.

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 09-05-2011, 01:24 PM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
A half inch of Goodyear will provide no protection in certain situations. Since most of the tires today are steel belted they provide no protection compared to the energy of a lightning strike. It seems when we get to this level of the problem we are talking about degrees which is impossible to predict. We can only do what we can and hope it's enough and realize that it may not be.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 04:22 PM   #40

Quote:
. . . there is no convincing me that anyone is going to isolate themselves from a direct hit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
A half inch of Goodyear will provide no protection in certain situations. Since most of the tires today are steel belted they provide no protection compared to the energy of a lightning strike.
True, there may be no protection from a direct lightning strike, but not all lightning damage is by a direct hit.

So, one more time, to reduce the likelihood of damage during a storm, disconnect from the pedestal and use plastic jack pads.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:42 PM   #41

Not to morph this into a different subject, but I'm missing the point. What is isolating the jacks going to do other than prevent them from rusting?

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 09-05-2011, 06:13 PM   #42

Quote:
Not to morph this into a different subject, but I'm missing the point. What is isolating the jacks going to do other than prevent them from rusting?
Check out Part 1 of this video series from Progressive Industries, the manufacturer of surge guards like the EMS-HW50C.

The jack pad-lightning part is about 4-5 minutes into Part 1: Videos