Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2015, 07:37 AM   #1

Surprise! You need a drill! Slideouts not working

So trip to Myrtle this past weekend, one night to visit father for fathers day. Boondocked int he Walmart.

Get ready to come home yesterday, and the slideouts won't work. Get out the books, thinking fuse. Blah, blah, can't find a thing wrong, get the wife to hit the buttons while I trouble shoot with the test light and see that the solenoid is working, and the motor is getting power but no go.

Crack the books, find the emgency proceedure for slides is as follows,,,, "Turn little red nurled knob clocwise while pulling out, take plastic cap off motor, use drill at a minuim of 2000 rpms with 7/16" nut drive to drive system and run hydaulics". Ahh, I don't have a drill. BUT! I am camping at the Walmart. In we go, can eliminate many of the drills due to the RPM's needed, but find a corded drill that will do the job, and a nut driver.

Attach it to the pump, she hits the button, i hit the drill and in goes the slide. I notice the drill lost its load very quickly. She starts hitting buttons and they all go in without use of the drill.

BTW, when we get home, the slides again would not work. I think I have a bad pump motor. I will post more about that when I dig into the repair.

Lesson learned,,,, recomendation to others: Read your book, find out what is needed to bring your slides in incase of failure. I was at the Walmart, could easily buy a drill. Going to leave it in the rig. But I was unprepared to do this, had no idea I needed a drill.

Oh, and for our rig the leveling and slideouts are one system. No leveling or retraction without a working pump!

L.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2015, 07:52 AM   #2

A drill has many uses and one stays in our MH all of the time. Just add it to the 'list' of tool/stuff needed.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 07:54 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Check the electrical connections to your pump - especially the ground connection. Bad grounding is the source of many HWH problems.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:03 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
Check the electrical connections to your pump - especially the ground connection. Bad grounding is the source of many HWH problems.
X2! Saw that first hand on mine a couple years ago. The grounding strap used by HWH is a tad "weak" so it was replaced with a substantial 10AWG strap.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
Yes, eliminated connections. I think the motor is fried. Anyone had success with getting a pump motor rebuilt? I have a really good starter/alternator rebuild shop about 3 miles from the house. Going to remove it tonight and give them a look at it.

L.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd in S.C. View Post
Yes, eliminated connections. I think the motor is fried. Anyone had success with getting a pump motor rebuilt? I have a really good starter/alternator rebuild shop about 3 miles from the house. Going to remove it tonight and give them a look at it.

L.
Before removing the motor, check the solenoid that sends current to the motor. It should be mounted next to the motor and when the slide switch is operated it should send 12v to the motor. They are often the problem.

A good automotive electrical shop should be able to rebuild the motor or a marine electrical shop certainly should be able to repair or replace the motor.
Old 06-22-2015, 12:07 PM   #7

FWIW May I suggest a corded drill. Most of us have a generator so the power is no problem, they have more power and the battery will not be flat. Probably also significantly cheaper given the cost of batteries. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 01:48 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

We always have a power drill on board. Husband was a Boy Scout.
Old 06-22-2015, 05:37 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Off topic posts have been removed. Let's all get back on topic ,please

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 05:42 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Excellent addition to any RV tool box. Added a Ryobi 18v drill, two batteries and a charger to the RV "tool box" a couple of years ago. For this extended temporary full timing while house hunting, I chose to add the Dewalt 18v to the tools as it has more torque and battery life. I have the charger set up in one of the bays that has 110v power on a switchable power strip. Have a set of bits, and had a full set of nut drivers and bits until forgot to put them up and someone decided they wanted them.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 07:21 PM   #11

yes thanks, I went with a cordless. I get the drill maybe handy to have there, but pictured reaching for it and the battery is dead due to infrequent use. Most of the cordless drills they had, couldn't make the minuim requirement in the manual to turn 2000 rpms.

Took the motor out this evening, will take to the local rebuild shop tomorrow. It is a good deal smaller than a starter motor, hope they can do it.

L.
Old 06-23-2015, 05:18 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Your motor has a dead spot.. yes. that is a bad motor.. once it was spinning it worked, inertia carrying it past the dead spot.

This is also a fairly common issue with Kwikee steps.. I re-indexed mine like 9 years ago (Made a change that caused the motor to stop in a different spot) and no problem since.

Congrats on having the brains to read the fine manual Many do not.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:12 AM   #13

Update:

The motor cannot be rebuilt, armature is burnt, Bummer.

Placed an order for a new one at Equalizer Systems, $263 plus shipping. Seems priced high, but have a trip coming up and need this working to go. Not a lot of time to research and find a better deal.

L.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:52 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
I carry a cordless drill with right socket for that reason (bringing slide in) but have never tested it but that's on the list.

Tags
slide, slideout