Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2014, 04:35 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Surround sound and tv replacement

I am replacing the crt tv with a digital in a 2001 Winnebago Journey 36DL which I purchased a few months ago. The tv was not going through the surround sound, though the radio is. I thought it would be a simple change out to hook the new tv up to the speaker system—wrong!!! I can not get the new tv to play through the sound system. The radio plays through the system, and the switch when set to tv turns the radio speaker off, but there is no sound with the new tv hooked to the system through the wires used by the old system. So, I pulled out the wiring diagrams and tracked down an amplifier. I finally found it beneath the left foot board beside the brake pedal. It is a DHS Mobile Theatre System QSuround 5.1 Model: MTSAMP-04. I’ve searched previous posts and found one discussion of this device and it seems that the radio does not use this amplifier, only the tv, is that correct? Is there any way to troubleshoot the amp to see if that is the problem before I go any further? There does not appear to be a fuse, at least not one that I can see.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2014, 04:54 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Doing a little research, I ran across this diagnostic file. I'm off to see if this will tell me anything.

http://www.bornfreervclub.org/bullet...ooting_364.pdf

Old 05-24-2014, 04:58 PM   #3

Have you used the TV "Menu" to switch speakers to "External"?
RetiredBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 05:03 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just replaced mine in a 2004 Horizon. I found a TV with RCA audio output jacks (32" Vizio) but had to change the TV settings thru the TV menu to variable audio out to get the surround to work. Might check your audio out settings.
Rich
Old 05-24-2014, 05:42 PM   #5

This is interesting. I've been trying to track down the same gremlin on my '06 journey for 2 years now but as yet to no avail. On my unit I got the impression that the RCA VCR/DVD player in the compartment to the right of the TV was doing double duty as the amplifier, but no matter what I fiddled with or configured, I could not get surround sound through the speakers from the TV. I have since removed the CRT and RCA units and replaced with flat screen and a 1000w amp/ BluRay DRV player. I connected everything including a fiber optic audio cable and still no sound from the TV to the speakers. Before I threw in the towel the last time, I thought I may have traced the problem to a switchbox above the RCA unit. That box has two inputs and one output. When you toggle the TV/Radio switch, you are causing a relay in that switchbox to switch the audio input to either radio to TV. The one output (speakers) never changes.

I'll do a little searching under the dash by the brake pedal to see if they snuck an amplifier under there that may be holding up the works.
Thanks, Dan
Old 05-24-2014, 06:04 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
I was having the same problem. When our D VR went out, Direct TV sent me another and I hooked it up. For some reason, the surround sound networks.
Old Dude 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 01:35 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The response from r varner is on the right track. We had the dealer replace
ours 2yrs ago in our 2005 Itasca Horizon. We purchased 3 different makes of tvs and none would work with the speakers. They finally called the factory and was told you had to have a tv that the menu would allow you to change the audio control to variable audio out. The only tv we
could find was that would do that was a vizo. It worked like it was supposed to. The speakers are analog and unless you completely rewire the whole system wiring and all to digital system, that variable audio out is the only thing that will work.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:59 AM   #8

In my case, the system never worked correctly since I've owned it, It was 4 years old when I got it and it still had the factory audio/video setup with the one-ton 27" Sony CRT. Despite following all the factory supplied directions to the letter, I could not get the TV or VCR/DVD player to play through the surround sound speakers. The radio was fine, everything else was dead. I even did some experimenting with different configurations, but nothing I did would make the sound system operate as it was designed. I removed the CRT last year and bought a 32" Visio and set the aux speakers to variable oputput through the on screen menu. Still nothing through the surround speakers. Having exhaused all the possibilities I could see, I was ready to install a TV specific set of speakers until the news of a hidden amplifier with an on/off sensing circuit gave me renewed hope of finding a resolution.
A sound bar would not be the best option for us. We often watch TV while we eat and the booth & TV are far apart. In order to hear it from the booth the audio needs to be raised to a level that close neighbors might find disturbing. The rear surround sound speakers are right next to the booth which makes it perfect for a normal listening level.
Thanks, Dan
Old 05-27-2014, 06:10 AM   #9

I didn't see this mentioned, so in case this can help those with surround sound not working, the S.S. amplifier is located under the driver's left footrest. It is fastened to the underside of that angled footrest; you have to unscrew the footrest from the floor, then you can flip it over.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:46 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelledan View Post
In my case, the system never worked correctly since I've owned it, It was 4 years old when I got it and it still had the factory audio/video setup with the one-ton 27" Sony CRT. Despite following all the factory supplied directions to the letter, I could not get the TV or VCR/DVD player to play through the surround sound speakers. The radio was fine, everything else was dead. I even did some experimenting with different configurations, but nothing I did would make the sound system operate as it was designed. I removed the CRT last year and bought a 32" Visio and set the aux speakers to variable oputput through the on screen menu. Still nothing through the surround speakers. Having exhaused all the possibilities I could see, I was ready to install a TV specific set of speakers until the news of a hidden amplifier with an on/off sensing circuit gave me renewed hope of finding a resolution.
A sound bar would not be the best option for us. We often watch TV while we eat and the booth & TV are far apart. In order to hear it from the booth the audio needs to be raised to a level that close neighbors might find disturbing. The rear surround sound speakers are right next to the booth which makes it perfect for a normal listening level.
Thanks, Dan

Let me know what you find. I can't seem to equalize the sound coming from the speakers. Surround works but can't control base, or anything else, from the TV or radio so must be an amplifier issue. All speakers are working. Let me know if you find any adjustments in there. Also, might check continuity of cable from TV to amp.
Thanks
Rich
Old 06-09-2014, 07:08 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm still in the process of replacing the crt tv with a flat screen in a 2001 Journey. I did find a vizio that has external speaker jacks and allows for the setting of either built in speakers, external speakers, or both with variable control. (I originally purchased an RCA and worked with it one day only to find that the audio connections were for input not output.) Of all those I went through at Best Buy, this vizio was the only set that had that option. Yes, the amplifier for the surround sound is beneath the left driver's foot rest. Earlier I posted a link for a diagonistic test from the amplifier manufacturer. To date (and I'm also in the process of a kitched remodeling project), I've reconfigured the original mounting--remodeling the cabinet, sawing some of the original metal hanger back, and arranging for a hanging mechanicism for the tv. The way it looks is that the new tv will set lower than the original by about three inches, allowing for a shelf above that will will be wide enough for the Dish receiver and a hd-dvd player, and set farther back by a few inches from the original--important since Winnebago puts the door in front. That few inches will put the tv cabinet even farther back than the original. Now I've got to get the stain close to the original and get the plastic cowling cut to attach to the new cabinet structure.

Tags
replace, replacement