Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-15-2013, 06:51 PM   #1
Surround Sound System in 2003 Winn Adventurer

I am replacing a TV in a 2003 Winnebego Aventurer (model WFG33V) and would like to know how to connect the existing surround speaker system to the new TV. With the old TV (a CRT anchor) there was a hard-wired connection to the internal speaker that I don't quite understand as well as a cylindrical component that is a mystery as well. I an wondering if anyone out there has had any experience with this and what they did to get the surround sound system working again with the new TV. Also does anyone have any wiring information on the surround sound system, theory of operation information, etc.? There seems to be no documentation available for this unit (that I could find anyway). Does anyone know where such documentation might be obtained? Thanks much for any information you can provide. Al

seabreezeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2013, 12:19 AM   #2
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have posted this before, but I will again. When we replaced our TV in our 2005 Itasca Horizon (by Winnebago) we tried 3 different TV's and none would work with the analog surround sound. We had the dealer call Winnebago to find out what we needed because the dealer was surprized all the TV's did not work. They were told that because it is an analog surround sound, we needed a TV that had had the ability in the menu under audio to say analog audio out & be able to change to variable. The only TV we could find that fit that requirement was a Vizio, we bought it and it has worked great. No additional hook up changes needed to be made.

Diane98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:37 AM   #3
Hello Diane98, thank you very much for your reply. I can understand the need for the tv to have an 'audio out' port that has variable output level. Thanks for the heads up on that. The follow on question is: how did you connect to that port? I have two black wires; one with an rca connector at the end and one that has a cylindrical device (a filter of some kind perhaps?) in line and then a stub of wire at the end. Do these two wires connect directly to the rca 'audio out' left and right ports on the tv? Also, might you have some instructions on how the surround system works or at least how to utilize it with the TV - some sort of operating instructions perhaps? Sorry to bother you again about this but I don't know where else to turn at the moment. Thanks much, Al
Old 02-16-2013, 08:49 AM   #4
Hello again Diane98, after reading your reply again, I noted that your dealer contacted Winnebago about the situation and actually got some advice. Do you know how long ago this was? I have tried contacting Winnebago but didn't have much success finding any help with the surround system. If they were able to help in your case, maybe there is someone there who has some knowledge of how the surround system works and is willing to provide some customer support for the owner of a 10 year old coach. I guess that I will try to contact whatever customer support they might have and try again. Again, thanks for the info. Al
Old 02-16-2013, 09:29 AM   #5
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here's the link to the wiring diagram for Winnebago. Click on the 2000 - 2009 link, then 2003 and find your coach. Download the "complete wiring diagram book" and go to page 81 or 82. It might help in tracing the wires for the tv.

Wiring Diagrams

Fran, Mary & Zoey (silver Cocker)
2006 Itasca Sunrise 35A, 2005 W-22, Allison 1000 5 speed
'13 Ford Focus ST or '10 Prius on Master Tow Dolly 80THD-SB or '00 Jeep Cherokee 4-down
Rockwood27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:05 AM   #6
One way that I could think of is to use a wireless fm modulator connected to the external speaker or headphone jack of the tv and just use an unused fm channel through your dash stereo if yours is wired like mine. I haven't changed the front tv yet but I use this setup for xm radio to play through my surround sound system.
Nathan and Linda, 2000 Winnebago Chieftain 35U, F53 Chassis, Banks Power Pack
Patrol 65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:15 AM   #7

I tried wiring different ways and ended up removing the back of the TV and soldering the speaker wires from the black cylinder to the speakers. This is a Sony TV and the surround sound works well. On mine there the surround sound "controller" is under the drivers foot rest - I don't know if it would be in the same location on your RV.
Bob, Sandi & Marmaduke the Big Pug
SW OREGON 2004 Journey 39K, 330 Cat
If towing: a 2006 Mini Cooper or 1995 Wrangler
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:58 AM   #8
Hey thanks y'all for responding to this inquiry.
Rockwood27, I have looked at the diagrams your referred to and I do see a couple of wires coming from the TV audio output port and going to something called the DHS amplifier (perhaps the so-called 'Deluxe' sound system?) That may be the answer to my initial question. Trouble is, that's where it stops. I have not been able to find any wiring diagrams associated with the 'Deluxe Sound System' or anything about it's operation. Nor have I found anything in the coach that looks like a DHS amplifier. I guess I will try Winnebago to see if they still have any info on this and are willing to help.
Patrol65: I will take your suggestion under advisement. Might be a reasonable alternative.
1Ciderdog: the original TV that I took out had the arrangement you speak of (a wire soldered to the internal speaker) - (also for some reason the internal speaker connection arrangement is not shown on the official Winnebago wiring diagrams that Rockwood27 referred me to for some reason - wonder why?). I am trying to avoid having to do that if possible. I hate to have to break open a brand new flat panel TV housing and make changes to it's internal parts. Might void the warranty as well. Only as a last resort I guess. Thanks for the advice though. I will look around for a SS controller.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:53 AM   #9
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My 03 33v Itaska did not have the Surround Sound system but on the back of the TV that was in there, there was an amp which went to the speakers over the couch and rocker. As far as your Surround Amp it should be inthe front right (passenger side) cabinet.

Retired Navy Submariner
2014 Itasca Sunstar 35F; 5 Star tuned; 2014 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
SuperGewl is online now   Reply With Quote