Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2016, 10:49 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Survived Matthew but . . .

2003 Winnebago Adventurer 35U - All safe and sound here in Myrtle Beach SC. However, MH didn't go unscathed - Hit by Tornado on Saturday as Matthew went by. No electricity but nothing but Blue skies no a cloud in the sky on Sunday morning. Inspecting her on Sunday and was pleased - no leaks, nothing broken and I felt relieved -- then I looked up and OOPS . . . top seam on the drivers side was fully exposed!! As my heart sank I climbed the ladder to see up top. Fiberglass had been torn away in the left rear corner at the cap. About a 2' x 2' section has been ripped off!! I was able to reinsert the edge of the top all along the side and put a temporary cover over the hole. Weather forecast says no rain next 7 days. Worse things could have happened I know, but I am kind of new to this - is this repairable? By who? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2016, 11:42 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm sorry to read of the situation but I'm very pleased it seems like everybody is doing well.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 07:05 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Winnebago has had problems with their roofs coming apart in the manner you described. Do a search for Winnebago roof problems on IRV2 and you will see many ideas.
Old 10-11-2016, 07:05 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezdavie View Post
2003 Winnebago Adventurer 35U - All safe and sound here in Myrtle Beach SC. However, MH didn't go unscathed - Hit by Tornado on Saturday as Matthew went by. No electricity but nothing but Blue skies no a cloud in the sky on Sunday morning. Inspecting her on Sunday and was pleased - no leaks, nothing broken and I felt relieved -- then I looked up and OOPS . . . top seam on the drivers side was fully exposed!! As my heart sank I climbed the ladder to see up top. Fiberglass had been torn away in the left rear corner at the cap. About a 2' x 2' section has been ripped off!! I was able to reinsert the edge of the top all along the side and put a temporary cover over the hole. Weather forecast says no rain next 7 days. Worse things could have happened I know, but I am kind of new to this - is this repairable? By who? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Assuming you can get the roof material, (not sure what type of roof you have) it is repairable, but being a 2003, with I assume the original roof, you may want to consider running it through your insurance. Odds are pretty good they will replace the entire roof for the cost of your comprehensive deductible. That's probably what I would do, and I know how to repair them! Consider going back to the factory, or at least do some serious research into the repair facility you choose. Personally I would stay away from Camping World based on past experience, but that's just me. Ask the insurance company for suggestions on repair facilities. Are you full timing it?
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 07:21 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We are glad to hear that you survived the storm.

Yes, your damage can be repaired by a reputable camper repair shop. The question will be finding one that has time as you are probably not the only one with issues. Hopefully, someone will pipe up with recommendations of a shop in the Myrtle Beach area.

Keep it covered while you wait and good luck!
Old 10-11-2016, 07:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Assuming you can get the roof material, (not sure what type of roof you have) it is repairable, but being a 2003, with I assume the original roof, you may want to consider running it through your insurance. Odds are pretty good they will replace the entire roof for the cost of your comprehensive deductible. That's probably what I would do, and I know how to repair them! Consider going back to the factory, or at least do some serious research into the repair facility you choose. Personally I would stay away from Camping World based on past experience, but that's just me. Ask the insurance company for suggestions on repair facilities. Are you full timing it?
Call your insurance company and initiate a claim. If you do not have a shop or mobile tech that you trust, they will refer someone. I doubt they will give you a whole new roof but they will repair it. This is just like have a car accident or storm damage to you home. All the same rules apply and everything is negotiable.
imob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:42 AM   #7

Go to Camping Connection. They are the very best. They will fix your roof just fine!

Good Luck!
Wil
wil01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:46 AM   #8

I can imaging a massive backlog at all these shops.
If it's driveable, you might consider a trip inland to an area away from storm damage to get the repairs done so it's not sitting for months.
Also, call the insurance company right away to start the claim.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:54 AM   #9
Community Administrator

I used them in the past and was very pleased.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wil01 View Post
Go to Camping Connection. They are the very best. They will fix your roof just fine!

Good Luck!

Wil

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 07:55 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for all who replied and your suggestions. Insurance Adjuster to be on site Friday. Hopefully all will go well and without any hitches. Looking forward to getting this taken care of. THX again
Old 10-13-2016, 08:58 AM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
The correct repair is a new fiberglass roof as it is a single sheet of fiberglass. Your insurance should cover for complete replacement.

This emphasizes the need for proper yearly maintenance of the sealant on the roof side seams just above the gutter. Neglect of those seams WILL lead to roof separation sooner or later either while driving or in a wind storm. Of course, even when properly maintained, all bets are off in hurricane or tornado winds.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 09:45 AM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
See the discussion here http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/winn...ss-310168.html for lots of good info, pictures, and a video of a factory Winnebago build including installation of the single piece fiberglass roof.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 10:02 AM   #13

Assuming you have a 1 piece fiberglass roof I hope you get a replacement. IF the insurance company does not bite the damage sounds like any shop who repairs fiberglass boats should be able to handle it. Probably better than a body shop.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 12:17 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
This emphasizes the need for proper yearly maintenance of the sealant on the roof side seams just above the gutter.
We attended an RV maintenance seminar at a resort we visited and were told the #1 best thing we could do each year was have a Sealtech test performed to identify and seal tiny leaks before they caused a problem. When I called a place near us to make an appointment, I was asked where I thought my coach was leaking. When I said it wasn't and told the service rep what we had been told, he said, "You are being so smart. This one bit of annual maintenance can save you many headaches."

NOTE: Because Sealtech changed ownership in 2012 their website only shows testing locations that have identified themselves on the website since 2012. There are many more out there, just call around. We found our closest one through an independent RV dealer about 2 hrs away.

Tags
hurricane