RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2019, 12:49 AM   #1

Suspension Ford F35

I want to improve the handling and ride of my 2015 MH. Ive read about Sumo Springs, Trac bars and adding air suspension. All are pricey. By the way, ive dubbed the coach, El Rancho Costa Plenty. 😀 You Can guess why. Nevertheless, we love hitting the road whenever we can.

Given your choice, which of the three upgrades that I mentioned above, would you recommend to improve the handling and ride of my Fleetwood F35 V10 MH?

What say ye?

Imatraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2019, 02:37 AM   #2

CHF, Cheap Handling Fix.

Its a anti sway bar modification that will improve the handling.

As far as the ride, the best you can do to soften the ride, is to weight the MH and set the tire pressure according to the tire charts.
If your tires are inflated above the charts or the sticker in the MH, it will ride harder then it needs to.

twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 05:57 AM   #3
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
Before you spend any money on aftermarket suspension components, do these three items:

1) CHF, This is an adjustment to the sway bar to firm up side to side motion. This will have a significant impact on reducing sway. READ HERE

2) Verify front end alignment, Have the shop set it to max toe in. If they need to shim the caster, it wont hurt to go a little past max caster i.e. 6 degrees.

3) On older chassis , i.e. 10 years old or greater, replace the shocks, they are probably worn out.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:06 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

And get it weighed so you can set the tire pressure to the optimal value.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 02:56 PM   #5
WDW

After the alignment and CHF, a rear track bar. We spent $2K adding air bags and limiting straps. BEST MONEY spent next to my Sani Con for the forward waste tanks.
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 03:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW View Post
After the alignment and CHF, a rear track bar.
Agree, a track bar will help with passing trucks and windy days.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:48 PM   #7

One other thing you might consider is a steering stabilizer like those made by Roadmaster and Safe T Plus. I installed the Roadmaster Reflex Steering Stabilizer primarily as a safety measure in case of a blowout, but I found that it helped to keep the motorhome going straight down the road with less steering effort and also helped somewhat with being blown around by large trucks.
Old 05-17-2019, 11:29 AM   #8

F53 Suspension

Thanks for all the comments. I did put in the steering stabilizer and that did make a difference, plus the safety factor for having one. I'll to the CHL and look into shooting the ride so my wife will like that part better. Any additional comments are welcome.
Imatraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 04:15 PM   #9

I am surprized by all the people who have done suspension upgrades. Our coach is 100% stock and handles beautifully! A couple of things to note. Out wheelbase is 56% of our overall length and we store all heavy items forward of the rear wheels and only light things in the rear. We run tire pressure at Coachmen's recommended 82 psi.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 07:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfoxy View Post
I am surprized by all the people who have done suspension upgrades. Our coach is 100% stock and handles beautifully! A couple of things to note. Out wheelbase is 56% of our overall length and we store all heavy items forward of the rear wheels and only light things in the rear. We run tire pressure at Coachmen's recommended 82 psi.

Indeed. One reason I bought my coach is that its 228" wheelbase is the longest available on a 34' gas coach. Also it has Ford's 24,000 pound chassis, unusual with a 34' coach. Handles fine.
JpalmerCass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 06:05 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JpalmerCass View Post
Indeed. One reason I bought my coach is that its 228" wheelbase is the longest available on a 34' gas coach. Also it has Ford's 24,000 pound chassis, unusual with a 34' coach. Handles fine.
We also have the 228" wheelbase on a 34', but on the 20,500# chassis. It has plenty of storage space and CCC for us. We go lots of places that many forum members tell us you can't take an RV, mountains, back roads with up to 15% grades and lots of switchbacks. Just put it in tow/haul and you barely use the brakes. We feel trucks passing us on the inter-state a little, but we don't come anywhere near being blown off the road. Nancy loves driving it and is actually better at it than I am.

Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, suspension