Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2014, 06:07 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Suspension suggestions

We just purchased a 2011 Allegro 30CA and in strong cross winds is not fun to ride or drive in. The dealer suggested Sumo springs. I have heard of air bags, what is the best value in upgrading the suspension? Thank you in advance.
Cavachon Ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2014, 07:27 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
The springs would not be adjustable, what you buy is what you get, good or bad.

The option of air bags might be the better option as you could adjust them based on the specific application, loading of the rig, and your ride preference.

A friend of mine has an older Damon that has the air bags and he said he definitely could feel the difference. He only had them mounted on the front.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 07:30 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavachon Ma View Post
We just purchased a 2011 Allegro 30CA and in strong cross winds is not fun to ride or drive in. The dealer suggested Sumo springs. I have heard of air bags, what is the best value in upgrading the suspension? Thank you in advance.
Welcome!
What chassis?
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 08:25 AM   #4

It would help if you give a little more information-I don't know if that is gas or diesel-if it is Ford F-53 do the cheap handling trick & add rear trac bar-If diesel someone else will have to chime in-Rich
pushtrk99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 08:30 AM   #5

A glass of wine.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 09:05 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We had front and rear Air-Lifts installed on our 82 Pace Arrow, 80 Pounds of air in the rears and 70 on the fronts.
Big difference, then we put on (did it ourself) Bilstiens 4 corners and WOW what a difference in ride. We need to replace all rubber and I am sure that will top it off.
Glad I did it.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 01:23 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Sumo springs will cost $1500 & up. get the coach weighted and set the inflation, problem just might go away...
johnboy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 10:00 AM   #8

Before buying anything, think about your specific issues then use Search to review some of the discussions.

While Lean, sway, bounce, porpoise, etc. all respond to different products, your coach description sounds like the side wind is causing the rear to sway. If this is your main problem, and you have a front engine and rear leaf springs, a rear panhard bar (track bar) is my suggestion for the correct add-on product. However, again, do some more reading and make your informed decision before just throwing things at your coach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavachon Ma View Post
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 09:03 PM   #9

i put the sumo on front and back took me lees than 2 hrs. just under $400 was planning on air bags for their adjustability but was afraid of all the hole drilling. With all the modifications i have made the best was the chf second was the safe T steer. Each MH is different .good luck on your research you have found the best place to search.
Old 11-29-2014, 02:13 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

You probably need better controlled suspension rather than more of it. But you didn't describe the problems, so its hard to say.

The gas chassis Allegro would surely benefit from a track bar, either the Davis Tru Trak or Supersteer rear track bar. That would get your steering under better control when trucks pass. A large anti-roll (anti-sway) bar might help too.

Nothing is going to change the fact that you have a huge sail (the side of the motorhome) that gets pushed by the air bow wave of every truck that goes by. The 30CA is relatively light and short wheelbase compared to the big semis and larger motorhomes, so it simply can't resist the powereful effect of the passing bow wave. My 35,000 lb 40 footer just shrugs them off, but my previous 22,000 lb 36 footer got moved aside. And it had extra handling goodies installed.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 10:27 AM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
You probably need better controlled suspension rather than more of it. But you didn't describe the problems, so its hard to say.

The gas chassis Allegro would surely benefit from a track bar, either the Davis Tru Trak or Supersteer rear track bar. That would get your steering under better control when trucks pass. A large anti-roll (anti-sway) bar might help too.

Nothing is going to change the fact that you have a huge sail (the side of the motorhome) that gets pushed by the air bow wave of every truck that goes by. The 30CA is relatively light and short wheelbase compared to the big semis and larger motorhomes, so it simply can't resist the powereful effect of the passing bow wave. My 35,000 lb 40 footer just shrugs them off, but my previous 22,000 lb 36 footer got moved aside. And it had extra handling goodies installed.
Boy I can vouch for the last paragraph we get pushed to the side by a cube van!!!!. It keeps you awake...
Old 12-01-2014, 06:50 AM   #12

Hi Spritz,

I see you have a 30 ft. gasser, which is similar to our 29 ft.- both of which have pretty large rear overhang and "sail" areas. I added a rear track bar a few years back and, while I still feel large trucks passing, the disruptive affect is much less. If you don't have already have a track bar, think about adding one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
Boy I can vouch for the last paragraph we get pushed to the side by a cube van!!!!. It keeps you awake...
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 11:03 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Yes there is one on the rear. I have never seen such a big bar...
I need to climb under her and see if the rubber grommets are shot.
They appear to be original, I believe the shocks that I replaced were original too. It doesn't seem to be that bad with the toad in toe.
Tim
Old 12-03-2014, 01:16 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
Yes there is one on the rear. I have never seen such a big bar...
I need to climb under her and see if the rubber grommets are shot.
They appear to be original, I believe the shocks that I replaced were original too. It doesn't seem to be that bad with the toad in toe.
Tim

When you say big bar and rubber grommets, methinks you are speaking of a sway bar. The suggestion was for a track bar. A track bar runs from the axle housing or differential housing to the frame. It serves to solidly locate the rear axle and stops it from shifting side to side, which causes a wag the tail effect whenever anything (wind, passing truck, steering correction) pushes to one side.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
suspension