Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2015, 06:48 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Suspension Upgrade 2007 F53 18GVWR

After 23 blistful years in our '95 WNBGO 27RQ with Banks and SuperSteer upgrades (wish we have put them on years ago!), we are taking delivery of a 2008 Sightseer 29R next week. It has only 18,000 miles, but after driving it, I'm ready to pull the trigger with: SuperSteer SS400 rear track bar, Roadmaster 1-3/4" 1139-140 front sway bar, Roadmaster 1-3/4" 1139-144 supplemental rear sway bar, Koni FSD shocks 8805-1018 & 8805-1019. As the tires are original, while they don't show sidewall cracking or UV damage, also looking at Hankook AH11 245/70R-19.5.

Looking for suggestions or thoughts:
1. Hankook or ??.
2. SuperSteer SS400 vs. UltraRV ULTF53V8 track bar (Ultra says they are same material, rod thickness, etc, just different color, slightly different design (though I don't notice difference in looking at images).
3. While the Banks made a huge improvement with the 454 EFI, any thoughts improvements by adding Banks to the 3-valve V10?

Comments are much appreciated.
rvbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2015, 02:32 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Hello and We are glad to have you join us here and we look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. I am sure you will enjoy our website and forums. Good luck, stay safe and keep us posted.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 05:11 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbud View Post
After 23 blistful years in our '95 WNBGO 27RQ with Banks and SuperSteer upgrades (wish we have put them on years ago!), we are taking delivery of a 2008 Sightseer 29R next week. It has only 18,000 miles, but after driving it, I'm ready to pull the trigger with: SuperSteer SS400 rear track bar, Roadmaster 1-3/4" 1139-140 front sway bar, Roadmaster 1-3/4" 1139-144 supplemental rear sway bar, Koni FSD shocks 8805-1018 & 8805-1019. As the tires are original, while they don't show sidewall cracking or UV damage, also looking at Hankook AH11 245/70R-19.5.

Looking for suggestions or thoughts:
1. Hankook or ??.
2. SuperSteer SS400 vs. UltraRV ULTF53V8 track bar (Ultra says they are same material, rod thickness, etc, just different color, slightly different design (though I don't notice difference in looking at images).
3. While the Banks made a huge improvement with the 454 EFI, any thoughts improvements by adding Banks to the 3-valve V10?

Comments are much appreciated.
RVBud,
1999 30' F53 here. Running & Riding pretty nice right now!
My tweaks:
* CHF http://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/cheap...fix-72335.html
* Steersafe SteerSafe.com | Superior Steering Control
* Ultratrac https://www.brazelsrv.com/ford-f53-1...-rear-trac-bar
* Bilstiens eshocks.com: Shocks and Struts: F53 Class A Motorhome Chassis - V10
* Sumitomo's Sumitomo Performance Tires: ST 718
& the V10 seems plenty powerful to me!
Old 06-11-2015, 01:57 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I think any track bar (panhard rod) will be a substantial handling improvement on an '08 F53 chassis. I like the Davis TruTrac myself, but the Supersteer is a good product too. Don't know anything about the Ultra. I would wait and see re the upgraded sway bars - by 2008 most chassis had pretty decent anti-sway. And I'm not a big Koni fan anyway. Shocks aren'a ride quality component - they just keep the wheels in contact with the road.

Hankook makes a good tire, but there are probably other good choices in your size. Bridgestone, Toyo, Yokohoma, Continental, etc.

I don't think the Banks will do a lot for the V10. I would want to see the torque & Hp curves before spending big bucks on an engine that already performs quite well. I suspect the claimed gains are up in the rpm range where you seldomn run anyway. Banks usually includes a power graph in their brochure, but I don't see one for the 2006+ V10 package.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 05:03 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have the 1 3/4 RoadMaster anti-sway bars and I'm very satified with the vast improvement. I also bought the steering stabilizer because I was tired of fighting the wheel. A friendly reminder the thicker (diameter) the bar usually means it stiffer. I hate fighting a cross wind so I went with the heaviest bars I could find. I also went with the 5 star tune and IMO it was worth the money. Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-13-2015, 07:29 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

IMO the track bar will do more for steering than the stabilizer.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 08:09 AM   #7

Triple E Owners Club
I put Hankooks on last year in the same size and like them very much. I was able to find them cheaper than toyo etc.

Most track bars are the same. Find your best deal.

Skip the sway bar upgrade. Do the CHF. If your rear bushings are not poly, change them.

Skip the Banks, if anything do the 5 star tune.

Congrats and good luck.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:31 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hey, thanks all for the great feadback

I ended up with Roadmaster 1-3/4 replacement front, 1-3/4 Roadmaster rear (add-on), Supersteer SS400 track bar (they were willing to meet competitors' pricing with free shipping and I've enjoyed dealing with them in the past). Went with the FSD's on Supersteer's suggestion (heck, they are a Koni distributor, what would you expect!)

Best advice was on the Banks and multiple suggestions to check into 5Star. I've spoken with Mike and Nick ... answered all my questions. I'm sold on the tuner and waiting for the X4. Plus, a whole bunch less time and cost than doing the Banks install. Money saved there will buy 6 fresh new tires AND brakes, if needed, plus tank of gas for the first trip!
Old 08-25-2015, 02:12 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quick update on upgrades....

Just completed 1200 mile trip with the new suspension, up through Grants Pass OR to install 6 tires, then out of the 109 degree heat to the coast. Had Henderson's install the tires and align (yes, they can correct camber), then check my torques on the swaybars and track bar I installed before the trip. Almost forgot I was driving a straight front axle. Very little sway and virtually no wag from turns or passing 18 wheelers. Nice!

Returning home, I dropped the hammer and installed balance of the Banks PowerPack (headers, exhaust). I did the install myself (took me about 13 hours ... caution for DIYers: install of the right side header ... especially the lower exhaust bolts for cylinders 3 & 4 ... requires lots of patience and some scraped knuckles). The rest was really not that difficult. Do it with jack stands under the front end and the front wheels off and you'll have plenty of working space.

While there have been lots of comments about Banks over the years, this is my second MH with it. First was a 7.4L; I could immediately feel and hear the difference. The new install is on an 18K 2008 F53. Mid-range torque is noticeably improved from the short first drive. The X4 adds to the pleasure of quicker shifting at higher RPMs.

But in all honesty, adding the Banks to the 3-valve V-10 gives you more boasting rights than huge dividends. You show your friends the giant exhaust and both of you grunt a little bit ... it's kinda like fishing or golf!

Glad I did it. I'd do it all over again.

Tags
f53, suspension, upgrade