Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2012, 11:13 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Sway bars

I have a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer with a 2003 Ford Chassis. Are after market sway bars worth putting on? I have sway on windy days and meeting trucks. Any help on this problem? THANKS!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2012, 11:20 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Your Ford F53 chassis came with sways bars. What you describe is very common. The first thing I would do is inspect the front and rear sway bar bushings. It's very common for them to go bad or even missing completely on an '03 chassis. If that checks out, go to this thread in the Ford Chassis forum, this "fix" will cure your problems.

Cheap Handling Fix

clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 12:55 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
x2 on Cheap Handling Fix, best mod ever done.
jclarkfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 03:52 PM   #4

I had a 2nd sway bar put on the rear of my MH. It is much bigger than the one Ford put on. It made a huge improvement. I now get just a tiny bit of push -if any- when the front of a passing truck is about 2 feet behind my seat. The sway bar is an add-on, not a replacement, there 2 back there now. If you are going to GNR you can get Chip from Rallys-R-Us to come to your site and install one on your rig while you enjoy the rally.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 07:18 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA
I had a 2nd sway bar put on the rear of my MH. It is much bigger than the one Ford put on. It made a huge improvement. I now get just a tiny bit of push -if any- when the front of a passing truck is about 2 feet behind my seat. The sway bar is an add-on, not a replacement, there 2 back there now.
I'm sure you saw a great improvement with a second bar. For future readers with an F53 chassis, you could do this with the expense of adding another sway bar system. Other than this form of increasing anti sway/roll, you have 2 basic ways to accomplish this and both simply increase resistance.

One is to replace the stock bar with a larger one (increase diameter) the other is to reduce the leverage on the bar. This means moving the frame link from the end of the arm, closer to the axle.

Ford built their bars with two holes in them. One at the end of the lever portion and another 3 inches closer to the axle. Moving the links to the inner hole takes 2 wrenches and 30 mins of your time. As discussed in the thread I mentioned earlier, the results are nothing short of amazing.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:57 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Thank you

Thank you to all who replied to the Sway Bar post. Your help is appreciated and very helpful. We took your advice and moved the bolts into the second hole and had about a 70% improvement. Thanks again! Dakota Pete