Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2016, 12:47 PM   #1

Sway of our Bounder in wind

We are new RVers, have 2014 Bounder, wondering about sway w high winds and truck wash. Have heard about installing something to help thus. Any suggestions?

Toni

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2016, 01:12 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel06 View Post
We are new RVers, have 2014 Bounder, wondering about sway w high winds and truck wash. Have heard about installing something to help thus. Any suggestions?

Toni
suggest you visit the Ford chassis forum here on iRV2,com and do a search for threads about the Cheap Handling Fix (CHF) for the F53 you apparently have.

Old 02-10-2016, 04:32 PM   #3

There is a formula that's used that has to do with wheel base divided by overall length and if that number is more than 48% it's going to have some problems with sway. Mine is over and has a very noticeable sway on winds over 10mph. I did tires and alignment and they did not help. I installed a Safty T Steer(Blue Ox one) and it really help. I hated this thing till I got that thing.

Good luck.

Robby
Old 02-10-2016, 04:48 PM   #4

Rear trac bar.
1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 05:02 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
There are many, many threads dealing with ride and handling characteristics of the F-53 chassis and all the things used to control or deal with it.

Your absolute best bet is to educate yourself by reading as many of the threads you can then ask questions. We don't know the length of your RV or any other of the particulars. I can tell you this. We have a 2014 WBGO Vista 30-T which is about 31 feet long.

I've done a lot to fix the ride and handling (R&H) and it is fine. I did not spend a lot of $$$ but that depends on your abilities and willingness to do what you need to do to get it driving well. For now just read and educate yourself.

TeJay
Old 02-10-2016, 06:26 PM   #6

Cheap handling fix is a must ,rear trac bar made our MH into easy to drive without fatique setting in (our long day is around 300 miles or 6 hrs which ever comes first) We choose Bilstein Shocks because they were on sale but didn't notice any difference which is OK since it handles well even when semi's are flying by-We drive at about 60 mph or little less when we can and a little faster when traffic dictates more speed not to cause a bottle neck-I made my own trac bar which can be seen at OEMY"S DIY .com--Under p-32 which was our first MH but the 2nd one is mounted on a F-53 chassis --Rich
pauperpride.blogspot.com
Old 02-10-2016, 08:58 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ensure tire pressures are correct by weight. Ensure no worn or damaged steering or suspension components. Only after doing these think about aftermarket changes and modifications.

CHF and adding a rear track bar provided a huge improvement to our 37' Pace Arrow on F53.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 06:28 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Air Tabs

Neighbors next to me says their air tabs significantly reduced their sway.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:35 PM   #9

Put a 2nd heavier anti-sway bar on the rear. That will give you the most improvement.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 09:29 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
A DIY rear track bar for $50 is a very good MOD. Yes a larger or additional SB (stabilizer bar) is good but that's going to cost you $400-$600 or more. Do the CHF both front and rear and see what you think. That will cost you ZERO.

Always make sure your tire pressures (mentioned poster #7) are as recommended by the manufacturer. If they are not set close to correct that in itself will cause steering and handling issues. You may alter those pressures some but it's always a good starting place.

Tire pressures, CHF and a DIY TB and you are out maybe $50. That's a good place to start and I guarantee you will be amazed at the improvement.

You have a 2014 unit. Unless there was a factory screw up all the steering and suspension components should be good. Yes, there's always a possibility that something is a out of sorts but not likely.

It is also recommended that all new coaches have an alignment done when the new owner takes delivery. Maybe your unit was not aligned by the original owner. Check the records if there are any. Most who do say an alignment done by a decent truck shop will usually notice improvements.

Our coach was aligned at the factory AFTER it was built. We drove it home 600 miles and I took it to a semi truck alignment shop. The shop found that ALL alignment angles were off. That scenario has been reported by more than one new owner.

Life is about choices and it's your call.

TeJay
Old 02-11-2016, 09:47 PM   #11

As TeJay said, make sure your tires are inflated to the mfgrs tire placard. Lower pressure will allow more sway and body roll. As Goodyear says:
"IMPORTANT: It's a common practice for RV owners to lower tire pressure in their search for a smoother ride. This is not only dangerous, it's relatively ineffective, as the difference in ride quality is not significant."
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 03:18 PM   #12

Least expensive and onward (And yep, some repeats.):
-Four corner weight, and PSI set to tire manufacturing settings
-Air Tabs
-Urethane bushings
-Safety-T-Plus steering stabilizer
-Rear Trac Bar
-Added sway bars, front and rear *1

*1 This is very dependent upon how Fleetwood spec'd your F53 from Ford. So a good analysis to see how your's came equipped, will determine if added sway bars to the rear, of front, are needed.

Another note on the Safety-T-Plus or other front steering stabilizers. These can help on stability in cross winds and passing trucks - but I consider them a safety edge item in case of tire blowout.

A shop with a good reputation on analysis for suspension help, is Henderson's Line Up. They do a before drive with you, look things voer, and then give you a recommended modification list. Note that I did not mention shocks, as I understand it, F53's come with Bilstien's as the OEM shocks. I'd give these a good try and see how the support you. We had good luck with the Koni Adjustable SP2 generation on our rear (I wanted the ability to adjust the settings. We went with Koni FSD's on the front, and liked them. Main reason is the control on the 'rebound', so do not add to stiffness of ride. Now this was a 99 18K Chassis T28 Bounder, and suspect your Bounder is on a higher rated F53 chassis. Plus Ford did a good job of updating the F53, when they were competing with Workhorse for the gasser chassis business. So, for sure could be apples and oranges.)

You can do these in phases, and stop once you feel you're comfortable with he handling.

Best of luck,
Smitty
Old 02-12-2016, 03:47 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Smitty, just one minor correction. According to Scutterdude. Who's he??? The Dude who is the person who makes and sells POLY bushing on these forums. Ford began using a poly bushing on the 2012 chassis.

How do I know??? I e-mailed him to see if he was making any for the 2013 chassis because I thought it prudent to get the best bushing and that's what he told me.

I imagine as soon as there is enough of a demand he may start making replacement bushings.

TeJay
Old 02-13-2016, 12:55 AM   #14

Read the new motorhome magazine that just came out, Sumo springs!

jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bounder