Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2015, 09:29 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Switch Panel Questions

I am posting this in the general Class A section in case there are models other than Holiday Rambler using the same panels.

I am confused with my levels panel and the switches on the panel. I do understand the lpg, fresh, holding, and grey levels but for the 'battery' level - what is it referring to? The house batteries or the started battery? I took a trip the last 10 days and now the battery level is lower than the 'c' it was always normally at. This is with running the generator through 600 miles worth of travel which i thought would be charging the house batteries.

Also, what is the 'heater' switch for? The user manual mentions that it is for lpg. That does not make sense since my hot water heater as well as the furnace both work no matter which position this switch is in.

There is also a hot water heater switch on the other wall and another underneath the bathroom sink that looks to be attached to the water heater.

Thanks for your help.

Hanging on for the ride!
ukpajf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2015, 10:12 AM   #2

-you may need to check your BREAKER on the generator. If it is tripped off, the generator will still run, but it will not be providing ANY power to the coach or batteries. Sounds like you ran 600miles with the generator, but your inverter and batteries where actually being used instead.
-the heater switch is probably to put the water heater in gas mode, which provides much quicker water heating than the normal 'electric' mode, which takes much longer. You can usually use either switch, or both at the same time, if needed, which is what we do when we are taking 4 showers in the same morning. I of course keep the 'gas' switch off under most circumstances.
more than likely your FURNACE is ONLY gas, which is why you don't have a switch for it. the thermostat is what regulates it on or off.
-the other water heater switches may be for convenience, so that you can turn of the gas to the water heater from several different locations. some coaches have another 'heater' switch that is referring to the engine heater, not the water heater or the furnace. ours in located on the right side of our bed, and it took me some time to even notice it, much less understand what it was for!

cheers!

'14 FordFocus, KingTailgater2 DishHD, 200w/10a mobile SOLAR, 75,000+ miles
all continental US states, Alaska, and yes, most of Canada!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 10:18 AM   #3

Al and Ellen-

I am looking at a 2000 HR Vacationer owner's manual on line right now. Here are the answers I get from it:

1) The monitor panel lights show the state of the "house" batteries. The battery charge levels are "C," "G," "F" and "L." I assume these stand for "Charged," "Good," "Fair" and "Low." There are usually two charging sources for your batteries: The chassis engine alternator and the 120V-to-12V converter. There are several reasons why the house batteries may not be charging.

2) According to the manual (pages 4-3 and 4-4), you have two sources to heat the hot water: propane and electric. The "heater" switch on the panel runs the hot water heater on propane. The wall switch runs the hot water heater on electric. Only one needs to be on at a time.

You imply that you're running your generator while going down the road. While that's not unheard-of, it's not that common. Can you tell us why?

Mark
Old 12-01-2015, 10:28 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks MisterT, I do not think i have an inverter but I was getting 120 volts as we used the microwave and had laptops and phones plugged in.

Hanging on for the ride!
Old 12-01-2015, 10:37 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks l1v3fr33ord1. That explains the heater switch. Never even thought about running the water heater on electric.

As far as running the generator, we took a ferry over Delaware Bay and were told the propane needs to be off. When we hit Lewes, DE, instead of stopping in traffic I just started the generator to keep the fridge going since we would have to shut of the propane when going through the Chesapeak Bay-Bridge-Tunnel. Same thing with the return trip.

Another thing is that I had just put a new carb on the genny and was happy to hear it running. on our return trip when we were almost home I heard the generator pulsing and then it shut off. Have not been able to start it since. Bummer. When the rain around here stops I will head back outside to pull the plug and/or check the fuel filter. I am hoping this carb is not clogged as the last one was. Supposedly no good way to clean the jets. If I can get it running again, this latest tank of fuel also has Seafoam in it so that could help clean. I'm frustrated on this one since the genny and motorhome ran real well for the 1600 mile trip only to have the genny fail right near home.

Hanging on for the ride!
Old 12-01-2015, 11:31 AM   #6

Just a reminder..My Gen wont run when under 1/4 tank of gas...Make sure you have enough gas. Good luck
Old 12-01-2015, 11:54 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97 TropiCal View Post
Just a reminder..My Gen wont run when under 1/4 tank of gas...Make sure you have enough gas. Good luck
Tank is at 3/4 full. Arrggghhhh!

Hanging on for the ride!
Old 12-01-2015, 03:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukpajf View Post

There is also a hot water heater switch on the other wall and another underneath the bathroom sink that looks to be attached to the water heater.

Thanks for your help.

Hot water heater??
Old 12-01-2015, 05:51 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For the battery level it's basically lying to you. It is the HOUSE batteries on most RV's (Some have a switch so it will read both) but if you are connected to shore power it will read the CONVERTER voltage, not the battery voltage.. And if you are NOT plugged in and there are any loads (Inverter, Lights, Water pump) then it's reading LOW from what the batteries really are.. So basically don't trust it.
Old 12-02-2015, 12:40 PM   #10

Be sure to check the gonkalator armature too. Mine came unwound.
Old 12-04-2015, 03:36 AM   #11

The heater switch might also be for the heater in the wet Bay when in the on position the heater will activate at around 40 degrees to keep the wet Bay from freezing
Old 12-04-2015, 11:25 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by malexander View Post
Be sure to check the gonkalator armature too. Mine came unwound.
Lost me on this one. I don't know what a gonkalator is except for a guitar effects pedal.

Hanging on for the ride!
Old 12-04-2015, 11:26 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyemike View Post
The heater switch might also be for the heater in the wet Bay when in the on position the heater will activate at around 40 degrees to keep the wet Bay from freezing
Thanks Mike. I'll have to check this out. Not sure I have this type option.

Hanging on for the ride!
Old 12-04-2015, 11:32 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97 TropiCal View Post
Now I am really confused. I tried starting again, several times, and it simply would not start. I took out the spark plug to check color ad found it wasn't bad at all. Just slightly on the white side, not brown but a whitish shade of grey so it may be running a bit lean. Not sure how to adjust it yet but I'll be looking into that.
So, I put the spark plug back in and just for the heck of it I gave it another shot at starting. It started right up. I left it run for about an hour before shutting down for the night. Started it back up this morning and it seemed fine.
Now I am shaking my head not knowing what to do. Maybe replace the plug wire?

Hanging on for the ride!

Tags
panel