Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-31-2015, 11:58 PM   #43
Senior Member
 
Mr_D's Avatar
 
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 28,535
I was mad too when our ISX blew up only 2,600 miles after we bought it. After paying the $22,000+ bill (Cummins paid $10,400 of the over $33,000 bill) and cooling down a few months, plus studying other breakdown post I've come to the conclusion that there was no way that ANYONE (including Cummins) could have predicted a valve breaking and doing that much damage. All I can hope now is that Cummins got it fixed for good.
__________________

__________________
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '14 CR-V
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2015, 01:22 AM   #44
Senior Member


 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
then Yes the estimated Labor to repair the problem is a legitimate number as Rear Radiator Coaches are extremely difficult to work on.

Exactly why I have vowed to only buy a side radiator DP !
__________________

__________________
pasdad1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 01:32 AM   #45
Senior Member
 
GearGirl's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Exactly why I have vowed to only buy a side radiator DP !
Smart move for sure.

Just makes me wonder what idiosyncrasies exist for side radiator DPs? Seems nothing is bulletproof.
__________________
GearGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 05:28 AM   #46
Senior Member


 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,289
Symptoms of Fan Bearing Failure & Who is Responsible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearGirl View Post
Smart move for sure.



Just makes me wonder what idiosyncrasies exist for side radiator DPs? Seems nothing is bulletproof.

Well the fan mechanism itself is more complicated (hydraulic, or right angle gear boxes, etc) ....but the big thing is that access to the engine and components is much easier.

The other thing side radiator usually gives you is vertically stacked CAC and radiator that reduces debris between cores
__________________
pasdad1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 06:14 AM   #47
Senior Member
 
FreedomDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: fulltiming
Posts: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearGirl View Post
Smart move for sure.

Just makes me wonder what idiosyncrasies exist for side radiator DPs? Seems nothing is bulletproof.
Don't they teach Murphy's Law in ME school anymore?
__________________
Bob & Joan Alexander, 2010 Tiffin Phaeton 36 QSH, 2013 Jeep Wrangler (toad)
Lobo & Juniper (woof, woof)
FreedomDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 06:23 AM   #48
Senior Member
 
Coma's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Emerald Coast
Posts: 1,757
As to recourse, when I bought my used pig in a poke MH I had a 30 day warranty from the dealer. I found out later it had been on the lot for 3 years. I also did my first look under the chassis with a flashlight.

FWIW, as mentioned, many MH salesman have never owned a DP and wouldn't know the first thing about diagnostics or repair.

BTW, I am an Aeronautical/Astronautical Engineer and I have operated the most sophisticated machines built by Humans in the most unforgiving environment on earth, night landings on aircraft carriers. You'll find that all that doesn't help with a MH unless you can also turn a wrench. Just sayin' .

IMHO

__________________
Jim and Jennie, Cats=Bittles and Potter, 2000 Dynasty 350 ISC
2013 Silverado 4x4 Towed with R1200GS in bed.
PROV23:4 Do not wear yourself out to get rich; have the wisdom to show restraint.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 07:24 AM   #49
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Snowbird - Waterford Mi and Citrus Springs Fl.
Posts: 3,609
Just another case for having a pro (not an RV dealer) do a chassis inspection. They may not have found this issue either, but the chances of somebody that works around that kind of thing every day is best case possible. Worst case, at that point you know you did what you could.

Many states require annual safety inspections on commercial trucks. Outfits doing those do them reasonably, and would be perfect candidates for giving a MH chassis a good look over. The one I used, once I explained I was looking for a pre-purchase inspection that did not include the MH systems (e.g. heater, frig. or generator) were glad to lend a hand, charged me 200. including a road test! I thought that a very fair price, and the fact it made me much less nervous about buying something like this was priceless. Oh, and I worked on these things professionally for 20 years early in my working career.....
__________________
1997 37' HR Endeavor, 275hp Cat, Freightliner
03 CR-V Blue Ox, Ready Brake
ahicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 07:44 AM   #50
Senior Member


 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearGirl View Post
I found vibration that the dealer explained away after the inspection as "idle is too low - these CAT engines need to idle around 800rpm, not 500rpm"....
I think by the dealer increasing idle RPM a temporary correction was made to the failing bearing, thus reducing the vibration to almost nothing detectable. I was assured the idle was initially "set too low" and "the engine was cold".

I tend to agree the dealer didn't know about the bearing. It's true a cold diesel won't idle smoothly at 500 RPM.....heck my gasoline car engine won't either (it likes 600).

The other factor is what you have experienced already with a rear radiator.....very limited access to the engine and fan. You can't really inspect what you can't see.
__________________
pasdad1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:15 AM   #51
Senior Member
 
Sammie's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,779
Gear Girl,
I'm surprised that with all the education it took to become a "Mechanical Engineer", that you didn't take the time to research and educate yourself on the idiosyncrasies and problems that could possibly arise with buying your particular year and model of coach.

JMHO, Sammie
__________________
2015 Tiffin Bus 37AP
2016 Ford Explorer
"A Job Begun is Half Done"
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 10:56 AM   #52
Senior Member
 
ChasA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Apex, NC
Posts: 1,857
Well, I'll just say S__t happens. The fan bracket on my Cummins ISB broke shortly after having Freightliner in Gaffney check it out and do the 40k mile service. Oh well, that's life.
__________________
2010 Winnebago Journey Express 34Y
2010 Freightliner XCS (mfd 9/'09)
'07 Saturn Vue V6
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 06:28 PM   #53
Senior Member
 
GearGirl's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
Just another case for having a pro (not an RV dealer) do a chassis inspection. They may not have found this issue either, but the chances of somebody that works around that kind of thing every day is best case possible. Worst case, at that point you know you did what you could.

Many states require annual safety inspections on commercial trucks. Outfits doing those do them reasonably, and would be perfect candidates for giving a MH chassis a good look over. The one I used, once I explained I was looking for a pre-purchase inspection that did not include the MH systems (e.g. heater, frig. or generator) were glad to lend a hand, charged me 200. including a road test! I thought that a very fair price, and the fact it made me much less nervous about buying something like this was priceless. Oh, and I worked on these things professionally for 20 years early in my working career.....
I did all that. I had an independent inspection done by a guy who works on these (granted, he was recommended by the dealer, but was my best option). I paid $300 for the inspection and it included a test drive and all. The inspector noted the vibration in his report, and the next day the dealer explained it away. I didn't make the connection among failing bearing and the vibration and increase in RPM.

I pretty much have no faith in humans at this point.
__________________
GearGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 06:32 PM   #54
Senior Member
 
GearGirl's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma View Post
As to recourse, when I bought my used pig in a poke MH I had a 30 day warranty from the dealer. I found out later it had been on the lot for 3 years. I also did my first look under the chassis with a flashlight.

FWIW, as mentioned, many MH salesman have never owned a DP and wouldn't know the first thing about diagnostics or repair.

BTW, I am an Aeronautical/Astronautical Engineer and I have operated the most sophisticated machines built by Humans in the most unforgiving environment on earth, night landings on aircraft carriers. You'll find that all that doesn't help with a MH unless you can also turn a wrench. Just sayin' .

IMHO

The reason I mentioned I'm an engineer is people were losing their minds over why I was asking for general bearing failure symptoms without talking about mine first. I wanted clean data. I didn't want to lead anyone in their response.

I further explained I'm an ME, not a mechanic.

This particular dealer owned and remodels MHs. He has a photo on his desktop background of one he brags about reselling to Miranda Lambert whoever the heck that is. I guess she's someone famous.
__________________
GearGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 06:34 PM   #55
Senior Member
 
NHRA225's Avatar
 
American Coach Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearGirl View Post
I did all that. I had an independent inspection done by a guy who works on these (granted, he was recommended by the dealer, but was my best option). I paid $300 for the inspection and it included a test drive and all. The inspector noted the vibration in his report, and the next day the dealer explained it away. I didn't make the connection among failing bearing and the vibration and increase in RPM.

I pretty much have no faith in humans at this point.
You better have faith in someone if your going to repair your Motor Home !
__________________
Chuck
Brownsburg Indiana
1992 American Eagle-8.3C-450hp
NHRA225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 06:56 PM   #56
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Houston
Posts: 1,067
Wow, this was hard to read. I could go into detail but I believe in Karma so I won't. Maybe someone else could negotiate this bill for you. Just saying.
__________________

__________________
2002 Newmar Kountry Star 3669
Freightliner 300HP Cummins
Towing 2014 Honda CRV EX-L & 2010 Tundra W/Remco DD
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fan



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RVP MACH 8 A/C Two Blade Fan! voltdoc Entegra Owner's Forum 93 06-15-2015 08:17 PM
89 Fleetwood Southwind power vent fan - no 12V paulgg Class A Motorhome Discussions 0 05-10-2015 08:19 AM
1995 F53 Fan Clutch - defective Ford parts? Adventurer1 Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum 5 11-20-2014 08:19 AM
Solar Powered Refrigerator Fan hpcbmw RV Systems & Appliances 9 07-20-2014 10:34 AM
Fan motor bearing on furnace.. 1999 National surf side? RamblinRanch National RV Owner's Forum 6 12-19-2013 10:37 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.