Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2015, 11:41 PM   #85

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian W View Post
And I hate when people use a derogatory term for a mechanic or technician. My technicians HATE when someone calls them "grease monkey". Does this quote look familiar?

"So after logging seven hours on the phone earlier today, I've got 2 grease monkeys telling me it's the fan clutch"
That is obviously a quote taken from a post of mine last month.

Grease monkey is absolutely not intended to be derogatory. I attribute more experience to people I call grease monkeys than I do 'technicians' because usually the guys who have been tinkering with things outside of the shop have seen and done more work in less than cushy environments. Although, unfortunately, they have a harder time getting parts and are not part of a network for warranty claims (warrantied work, to be specific...something they do goes haywire, there isn't a local shop in the chain to have a redo on the service/installation). So I get stuck with whatever big network and their bloated prices and slower workers.

Whether or not you feel slighted by what I wrote is beyond my control.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2015, 06:27 AM   #86

Dang, GG. You do have a warm fuzzy friendly way about you. I mentioned early on about our issue with the fan clutch. If ours had not been covered by warranty (barely), it would have cost around $2500. The engine manufacturer may be aware of the problem and offer some help with it.

Funny thing...I listed details about our issues including coach brand, model and engine specs and had an answer quickly from others that had the same issue.

Good luck with your problems.

traveling in a 2011 Ventana 3433!
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 08:19 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearGirl View Post
That is obviously a quote taken from a post of mine last month.

Grease monkey is absolutely not intended to be derogatory. I attribute more experience to people I call grease monkeys than I do 'technicians' because usually the guys who have been tinkering with things outside of the shop have seen and done more work in less than cushy environments. Although, unfortunately, they have a harder time getting parts and are not part of a network for warranty claims (warrantied work, to be specific...something they do goes haywire, there isn't a local shop in the chain to have a redo on the service/installation). So I get stuck with whatever big network and their bloated prices and slower workers.

Whether or not you feel slighted by what I wrote is beyond my control.

The next time your in for service be sure and announce to the shop your a mechanical engineer and ask which grease monkey's will be working on your coach. I'm sure no one will feel slighted by this term.
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 02:42 PM   #88

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by noserider View Post
The next time your in for service be sure and announce to the shop your a mechanical engineer and ask which grease monkey's will be working on your coach. I'm sure no one will feel slighted by this term.

Be careful now! He's been to college, so it follows that he is educated, just not smart, although he thinks he is.

Grease Monkey Eh!. That term for a technician or well trained and certified mechanic has long been relegated to the rubbish bin and carries the same level of insult with it as Redskin or Squaw. There are a few other terms not mentioned here that are RUDE as well.
Old 11-07-2015, 03:57 PM   #89

Symptoms of Fan Bearing Failure & Who is Responsible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by holycow View Post
Be careful now! He's been to college, so it follows that he is educated, just not smart, although he thinks he is.

Grease Monkey Eh!. That term for a technician or well trained and certified mechanic has long been relegated to the rubbish bin and carries the same level of insult with it as Redskin or Squaw. There are a few other terms not mentioned here that are RUDE as well.

Did you read HER user name? LOL. I agree grease monkey is rude and purposely demeaning. I'm very glad that this type of post is rare on this forum.
Old 11-07-2015, 04:34 PM   #90

Monaco Owners Club
[QUOTE=phil57;2815993]Did you read HER user name? LOL. I agree grease monkey is rude and purposely demeaning. I'm very glad that this type of post is rare on this forum.[/QUO

Her, Him, It, Whatever. A little bit to do over nothing.
Old 11-08-2015, 02:00 AM   #91

Fleetwood Owners Club

All my warm fuzzies disappeared after getting nothing but grief from several posters over asking a pretty simple question. I also made the question general so people having similar issues could possibly find useful information in this thread, without it being specific to any one DP coach. A sort of repository of info.

I've had other people look at this thread and I asked what I could have done differently - and they all say I asked a simple question and simple answers would have sufficed, instead of the attitudes prevalent in the discussion. The one correction I would make is to change the title to Symptoms of Imminent Fan Bearing Failure (but it appears one cannot change the title of the question once posted). FWIW, vibration IS such a symptom.

There are MANY other threads in this forum that also ask simple, general questions and receive enthusiastic, intelligent, helpful answers. Seems pack animal mentality took over in this one.

And if anyone has an issue with me writing grease monkey...oh for Pete's sake man up, stop whining about it, and just keep moving forward. I heard plenty of insults and accusations hurled in my direction all through college and career. That's what happens when you're in a male-dominated, good ol boy's network line of work. Proof is in the pudding, though - I'm enjoying my life, they're still punching a clock. Water off a duck's back.

If the mods weren't so nitpicky about language on this board, I'd REALLY give some of you some choice words to chew on right about now. The manufacturing environment has *so* broadened my vocabulary. Grease monkey would be the least of your concerns. I'm making liberal use of the ignore tool in the meantime.

Have a GREAT day.
Old 11-08-2015, 07:08 AM   #92

Elitist and condescending come to mind here.

Any interest I had in the pursuit of information relevant to this topic now gone.

unsubscribed

Best of luck sensing water pump bearing "vibration" in your travels.
Old 11-08-2015, 07:59 AM   #93

So your bad manors are covered up or excused by praying the gender card. Yes I saw thee old man comment. You have a chip on your shoulder and there is no reason for it. Flat out you were wrong and you were rude. It is a easy fix. You really seem like a nice person. Be nice in how you ask questions. You will find no gender bias here.
Old 11-08-2015, 09:57 AM   #94

I must be an old man as I can't type. Not praying playing. And not thee but the. Please excuse my poor typing.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:29 AM   #95

GG, the fact that you are a ME and accepted the explanation that low idle was the cause of vibration, and increasing the idle speed made the vibration stop would indicate to me that you made need to go back to school.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:14 AM   #96
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wow! I've never seen so many panties get it such a wad. I understand what she's trying to do and don't feel any resentment towards her for it. By just asking what coach, engine, year of mnfg and waiting for the answer is all I would have done. You guys really are having a lot of fun at someone elses expense.

My answer is that sometimes bearings rattle or even make little screeching noises when they get dry or worn. The problem is that diesel engines often make those noises all by themselves so it's really hard to tell the difference. Sometimes you can wiggle a bearing or joint and feel the looseness in it before it goes out.

We carry the Good Sam insurance on our coach and engine. It does have a large deductible, but it will pay for catastrophic failures.

Our 3126 Cat has a grease zirk on the top side of the bearing which is a bear to get at, but we do grease it regularly. Wonder how many folks know about this.
2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 10:37 AM   #97
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
One more thing I can relate. We purchased our coach from a private party and while inspecting it I noticed a chirp chirp coming from the fan area. First thing I thought of was a fan bearing. Well the guy knocked off so much on the price that I figured I could bear the cost if need be.

Turns out the coach had been sitting for several months and some rust had formed on the fan pulley and each time it revolved it chirped. My mechanic, (who takes the term grease monkey as a badge of honor), cleaned it off with some steel wool and the chirp went away.

Like I said, diesel engines make all kinds of noises on their own.
2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 03:49 PM   #98

I've been around internet forums (and better yet, newsgroups) for the last 20 years. There is only one thing you can do when you post a question and the responses are not what you expected. Ignore them.

I'm not judging any of these responses, I've not been here long enough (obviously). What I do know is that every one of the 'more details please' queries were trying to get more information, that's their right. If the OP doesn't want to give more details, then don't, that's within the rights of the OP.

It's a two way street - and getting along isn't that hard to do.

Tags
fan