Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2008, 01:01 PM   #15

I didn't mean to mislead . . . they didn't say NOT to use it, just that they didn't "recommend" it over dino oil.

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2008, 04:14 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
I posted a similar question a few months back, but for a gas MH. I see several replys come from of gas MH owners. My Ford chassis came with synthetic blend. The Motorcraft blend with the Ford part number can be purchased from Walmart. The price is about the same as the Shell Rotella I run in my super-duty P/U. Still makes me wonder about switching to full synthetic after the break-in period just for better heat protection. Every trip we've been on, we tow the Explorer (4,700lbs). Up and down the hills with the toad, fresh water, grey and black water all put the MH close to the GCWR.

2007 Ford Explorer V8 Towed
Bobby C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 05:51 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Synthetics do withstand high heat better than dino oil, but if your Monarch is staying well within its normal operating temperatures I wouldn't worry about that. If you are like most RVers, you are going to have to change the oil once a year anyway, regardless of mileage, so there is very little benefit in using a full synthetic oil. You would be better off using the extra $$ to change the oil & filter more often.

Just my opinion, of course. Others will surely have a different viewpoint.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 11:43 AM   #18

The Allison warranty on my coach requires transynd synthethic.

I love these Dino vs Synthetic arguments. Everyone has their position and nothing will change their minds!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SCVJeff:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eddie Foy:
My tranny comes with synthetic. Allison 3000.

I use synthetic engine oil in all of my other vehicles. I haven't reached the first oil change on my Mercedes 926. Haven't decided what I will use. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>And in the case of Allison with respect to synthetic fluid, they DO extend the tranny warranty when it is used. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mercedes MBE 926
Eddie Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 02:30 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eddie Foy:
I love these Dino vs Synthetic arguments. Everyone has their position and nothing will change their minds! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I know, isn't it fun? It reminds me of that old saying: Opinions are like hind ends (my substitution,) everybody has one.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:08 AM   #20

I've had the opportunity to see inside an engine after 25K of miles. I have a 2001 Yamaha Roadstar Motorcycle. It is an air cooled twin cylinder 1600 cc. The oil pump gear twisted off leaving one piece within the engine and just upstream of the tranny. Yamaha a few months later had a recall to replace the part, it was not beefy enough for the new 1600 engines. They already had a newly designed replacement part available even though mine was one of the first to break - mine was also one of the first to have 25K miles.

To remove the piece the engine had to be disassembled and the transfer case split. Since mile 0 I had been using a synthetic motor oil for twins with wet clutches. I took the bike to Arkansas to one of Yamaha's larger dealer for repair. The inside of the engine was perfectly clean, no sludge, no gunk nothing. It looked like it was brand new. Most of the miles on this air cooled bike were under desert conditions up to 120 in central Cal and in the Mojave.

I run synthetic in all my vehicles including the motorhome. I change the oil every 7,500 miles and replace the filter.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:35 AM   #21

I can run 18,000 miles in my diesel car between oil changes using Delvac 1 (Mobil 1 for diesels) with out any breakdown of the oil according to Blackstone Labs. In Europe they are going up to 30,000 miles between changes using German synethic oils for diesels. They are way advanced beyond what our API is doing on this side of the pond!
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 07:17 PM   #22

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The reason syn isn't 'recommended' for the diesels is because they are easy on oil and generally don't get enough miles on them in year to be able to take advantage of the longer OCI you get with synthetics.

Synthitics do have a higher TBN (additive package) and they are more stable over a longer OCI (oil change interval) and over a greater tempurature range. They offer more detergent properties, and will hold contaminates in suspension better.

The truckers use it because of the high mileage, they use a bypass filtering system, and do regular oil analysis to tell where the oil is in it's life.

I also use syn in everything I own and have for years, for a lot of reasons. But I'm putting delo 400 (dino) in my duramax because it's only getting 4-5K miles per year. For a gas engine though, synthetics all the way. They hold less oil, and they seem to get more benefit from the better grade of oil.

There were three eroneous statements thus far in this thread:
1. 3000 OCI's - that is a thing of the past and a total waste of money and resources. Even dino oil will go 5K no sweat. Syn will go 7-10K or more, as long as you're within one year.
2. "I've always used the cheapest oil". Not all oil is created equal - there is some junk out there. But any good brand of oil of the proper viscosity and of the proper API ratings, changed at an appropriate OCI will provide a long life. That doesn't mean synthetics aren't a better lubricant.
3. Using synthic lubricant's isn't a 'waste of money' unless you're using the same change intervals as dino oil, then you're not getting the longevity feature they offer. The also provide better protection in the case of other incidental failure, like an overheat, loss of oil pressure, even cold weather starts.

If you want to read and learn about oil go here: www.bobistheoilguy.com
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 10:16 AM   #23

Parmm, If I recall correctly, the Nazi were the first to make a syn. oil. We kept blowing up their oil storage tanks. We started using their methods for making the syn. oil after the war.
Oh-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 06:04 AM   #24

Reading this past forum might be enlighening:
Synthetic lubricants-aren't.You'll note every material statement is documented by a link to reference material.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 03:40 AM   #25

Oil is oil. If synthetics were worth the money, fleets would use them. They do not. I've seen plenty of engines wind up massive amounts of miles on regular oil. For 99.9% of the vehicles on the road, synthetics are a waste of money.

1993 International Genesis conversion
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:08 AM   #26

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Johnny:
Oil is oil. If synthetics were worth the money, fleets would use them. They do not. I've seen plenty of engines wind up massive amounts of miles on regular oil. For 99.9% of the vehicles on the road, synthetics are a waste of money. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

These are not facts, but you state them like they are. On what authority do you command?

You form an opinion simply because you've seen engines accumlate a lot of miles on regular oil? That's absurd.

If major automotive manufacturers and engineers didn't believe in them they wouldn't factory-fill with them nor recommend them for extended drain intervals. Fleets do use them, the advantages are becoming more well known, and their use more commonplace. And synthetics are commonplace in virtually all forms of competetive motorsports, aircraft, and watercraft.

But you're probably right, a waste of money on an old bus chassis
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 02:06 PM   #27

The largest private vehicle fleet in the world does not use synthetics. The vast majority of OTR trucks do not use synthetic oil. Oil is oil.

Yet again, if synthetics were worth the money, fleets would use them. They do not, because they are not worth the money.

My Caddy gets 0W-40 synthetic oil...with very large bearings & high piston speeds, it's hard on oil. My wife's Grand National gets 5W-50 synthetic--it's a high-revving, hot-running (we've seen 350+ oil temps) V6 cranking out 2.5HP per cubic inch, with a turbocharger cooled by oil; it's harder on the oil than almost anything else short of a nitro engine or something running straight methanol.

1993 International Genesis conversion
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 02:36 PM   #28

Vintage RV Owners Club
OTR fleets don't keep there trucks long enough for synthetic engine oil to be any savings. Most companies trade their trucks at 3 years or 750,000 miles which ever comes first. Now on the transmissions and rear ends most all fleets use synthetic oil and don't change it for the service life of the vehicle.