Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2008, 10:05 AM   #1

I've heard conflicting reports on whether or not I should use synthetic oil when I have the oil changed on my coach. The local authorized Spartan Chasis repair facility said; "waste of money", as did a local RV tech. However, the truckers I've spoken with swear by synthetic.
We're on our 2nd year with the coach. I did the 1st oil drain at 10K and the Spartan facility put in regular oil. I plan to have the oil changed again in the spring. At that point the oil will have about 6 or 7K on it.
I don't mind spending some extra money if it will help increase the life of the engine. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Gary and Norma Goldman
2007 Fleetwood Revolution
Cat C9
2007 Honda CRV toad

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2008, 10:05 AM   #2

I've heard conflicting reports on whether or not I should use synthetic oil when I have the oil changed on my coach. The local authorized Spartan Chasis repair facility said; "waste of money", as did a local RV tech. However, the truckers I've spoken with swear by synthetic.
We're on our 2nd year with the coach. I did the 1st oil drain at 10K and the Spartan facility put in regular oil. I plan to have the oil changed again in the spring. At that point the oil will have about 6 or 7K on it.
I don't mind spending some extra money if it will help increase the life of the engine. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Gary and Norma Goldman
2007 Fleetwood Revolution
Cat C9
2007 Honda CRV toad

Old 10-26-2008, 10:45 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Gary,
When folks swear by a product, get the reason(s) why. Then determine the value of those reasons to you. Your decision will be made for you. I have used dino Penzoil for over 40 years. The is for both gas and diesel engines. I keep my stuff a long time and for many miles. I've never had an oil related problem, not one. Not even a leak.

Since the synthetic oil does not extend the oil change interval and the dino oil meets the engine mfgs' specs, for me, there is no business case to spend the extra $s. I understand the chemical difference between the two oil technologies. And that can be great, for some. Truckers' may swear by synthetic oil because many may not change their oil, they get the oil sampled and add additives as necessary.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 12:37 PM   #4

CAT also says waste of money.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:34 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Trucker's and RV'ers engine's requirements and duty cycles have little in common.

I too see no need for the expense of synthetic.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 04:00 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
I'm going to change my oil every 3000 miles with a top quality oil. It would be a waste of money to use synthetic and add little, if nothing to the performance and longevity of the engine.

Bob
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 05:25 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GaryG:
I don't mind spending some extra money if it will help increase the life of the engine. Any thoughts? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I don't have a diesel, but let me tell you why I switched both engine and tranny to full syn - heat. Synthetic dissipates heat far better than dino; just ask NASCAR. New Corvettes, as well as several others, come from the factory with synthetic.

I'm repeating here what I have said before on a similar thread: pulling a grade out of the Columbia River Gorge (no toad,) my temp gauge went up from about 185 to 235. After changing to Mobil 1, including tranny, I went up the same grade again, WITH toad - temp gauge went up 10, maybe 15 degrees. The name of the game is to keep that tranny cool. Run it at 250 for ten minutes or so, then kiss it goodbye.

Bear in mind I am not an engineer . . but I did speak to a retired GM tranny engineer before I made the switch. I have now changed my Mercury Grand Marquis to syn, and the Saturn "toad" is next; due right now.

OK, guys, once more, with feeling: What is good enough for NASCAR and General Motors is good enough for me. More expensive oil changes is still one whale of a lot cheaper than pulling and replacing or rebuilding a MH tranny.
Old 10-31-2008, 05:30 PM   #8

My tranny comes with synthetic. Allison 3000.

I use synthetic engine oil in all of my other vehicles. I haven't reached the first oil change on my Mercedes 926. Haven't decided what I will use.

Mercedes MBE 926
Eddie Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:15 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">OK, guys, once more, with feeling: What is good enough for NASCAR and General Motors is good enough for me. More expensive oil changes is still one whale of a lot cheaper than pulling and replacing or rebuilding a MH tranny. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

AGREED and with feeling!!! Oh, except he was talking about engine oil, not tranny.

Dino oil is good enough, especially since I'm not driving a NASCAR with a 30k dollar engine.
After 30+yrs of hard driving on numerous high performance cars and trucks, etc, I've always used the cheapest, on sale, no name, whatever oil that MEETS SAE and API specs for my application. NEVER a tear down, leak, or anything else. I also have the Blackstone Labs test results from several oil changes to back up my decision to use cheap oil.

Chris
Roadfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 07:54 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Roadfrog:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">OK, guys, once more, with feeling: What is good enough for NASCAR and General Motors is good enough for me. More expensive oil changes is still one whale of a lot cheaper than pulling and replacing or rebuilding a MH tranny. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

AGREED and with feeling!!! Oh, except he was talking about engine oil, not tranny.

Dino oil is good enough, especially since I'm not driving a NASCAR with a 30k dollar engine.
After 30+yrs of hard driving on numerous high performance cars and trucks, etc, I've always used the cheapest, on sale, no name, whatever oil that MEETS SAE and API specs for my application. NEVER a tear down, leak, or anything else. I also have the Blackstone Labs test results from several oil changes to back up my decision to use cheap oil. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That is a pretty good argument, Roadfrog, and tells me you must be pretty religious about regular oil changes, by both mileage and calendar. I got a little lax on DW's daily commuter, and blew out a bearing - my bad. I'm sure not going to argue with your approach, tough to argue with success. I'm just going to hope for a little more insurance in the synthetic; the one thing I never want to do is have to pull the engine out of my coach.

Here's good luck to both of us.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:25 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
For God's sake, you spend 100's of K for your motor home and then balk at the difference in price of dino vs synthetic oil???? The synthetic WILL provide better protection for your engine, and it's still cheaper than replacing an engine.
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 11:02 PM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eddie Foy:
My tranny comes with synthetic. Allison 3000.

I use synthetic engine oil in all of my other vehicles. I haven't reached the first oil change on my Mercedes 926. Haven't decided what I will use. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>And in the case of Allison with respect to synthetic fluid, they DO extend the tranny warranty when it is used.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 04:50 AM   #13

The V6 Mercedes diesel in the View (and in all Sprinter-based diesel units) requires synthetic. So do my SRX and Shelby GT500. I've used it in my race cars for years, and use it in the Dakota. However, CAT doesn't recommend it for the C7 in the Vectra - so it gets dino oil.

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:10 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by porscheracer:
The V6 Mercedes diesel in the View (and in all Sprinter-based diesel units) requires synthetic. So do my SRX and Shelby GT500. I've used it in my race cars for years, and use it in the Dakota. However, CAT doesn't recommend it for the C7 in the Vectra - so it gets dino oil. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I have to believe that you're correct to go with the manufacturer's recommendation; if you blow an engine going against it, all you can do is get out your checkbook. But I can't help but wonder what it is about syn that they object to for a deisel?