Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2011, 08:45 AM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
synthetic oils

Is anyone out here using Aimsoil Systems? Or does anyone know about this system. Have read the lit, just wondered if anyone has used it. Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2011, 10:10 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've been using/dealer Amsoil products in all my vehicles since 1988. I change my oil once a year and the filters at 6 months. I've never had a problem since switching to Amsoil but than I never had a problem before Amsoil but i did change oil much more often.
Amsoil has been around since 1972 with their oils, a year before Mobile1 came out, and since has come out with every kind of lubricant someone would need. It's a bit pricey so you have to decide if it worth it.

legryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:11 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Amisoil was one of the first Synthteics and is responsible for many of the bad mythis about Synthics.. NOTE: This is history, not current info. Seems the "Base" they used was such that it had a bad reaction if it was mixed with dino oil and/or seals. this Resulted in many problems and the old "Once you change you can't go back" myth.

Of course they very quickly discovered the problem and changed the formula so that is no longer the case.

That said, I used it in my towed, back when I had a towed, and it is a very fine oil, I may well use it again in a few oil changes.. but the delay has more to do with cost than anything else,, I'm very $$$ limited just now.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:44 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I've been using Amsoil products in all of my vehicles for 11 years and have no complaints. I do all my own fliud and filter changes so this levels out the higher cost since I have no labor charge.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:44 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Amsoil

OK, I have a 1992 Airstream Legacy 31, bought in Nov of 2010,. The engine is a 454 with a complete banks exhaust & intake air system.. Also it has had an Amsoil filter system since new. Now this rig has 114,000 miles on it and you would never know it. It appears to be only a few years old.. I have all the mechanical records since it was new. The trans was replaced in 2005 and then it was driven for 1 year and parked in a garage for the next 5 years with only 500 miles put on it. A compression check was done, and it holds 145 to 150 #. I am just a little nervous about taking it out on any distance trips. I just re did all the brakes, and added new tires. Is it posible that this oil can be that good. I have heard people say it is better to drive them and put on miles than to just let them sit. Every thing in it (appliances etc.) have been replaced or repaired. Still 114000 does make me wonder... I bought it to fix up and re sell it, but I really would like to make this a keeper, just 2 nice to get rid of. I keep waiting for it to fall apart.......Any answers or ideas on this oil... Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LS 1.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	265.1 KB
ID:	9646  
Old 04-20-2011, 12:50 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Is it gonna be a 'magic bullet' and fix any thing? No..

Is it good oil? Yes.. Especially if you get the formulation with high ZDDP. Its an antiwear additive that use to be in oils and was required when the engine was built. They have reduced or taken it out of the new 'API' rated oils cause it shortens the life of catalytic convertors (maybe)...

Of course, Royal Purple, Mobil 1, and others have non-API rated oils that still contain lots of ZDDP...

http://www.google.com/search?q=ZDDP+...ient=firefox-a
Old 04-20-2011, 05:05 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Amsoil

My mechanic runs a "classy" transmission shop in addition to full service. A couple of his techs either have RV's or use their parents' and are involved in racing. At the boss's recommendation I started Amsoil products (engine and transmission), three motorhomes ago and two Jeep GJ's ago. He claims that my transmission will run 40 degrees cooler and my motor goes 7,000 miles between oil changes. I am completely happy with the results. The RV's all have Ford engines and transmissions.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:02 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
All my vehicles get a minimum of an oil change every spring. That's 3500 with dyno oil, 15000 with synthetic (due to the cost difference)

I do have a few vehilcles that see 15k a year, and I use synthetic in them.

I have some that see 30k a year, they get synthetic.
Others, at less than 3.5k a year, get dyno....

Most get changed every spring, need it or not.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:01 PM   #9

Talk to any petroleum engineer ( not a mechanic) and you will quickly see that for engines that do not operate in the North synthetcis are a waste of $$. Today's dyno oils are almost a synthetic. Most synthetics are based on dyno oils. Not one of the huge fleets: UPS, Swift Transportation, Werner or any of the truck lines use Amsoil. If they could save $$ they would toss the dyno oil today! Amsoil is more like snake oil. Amsoil ATF does not meet the spec for any Allison . Some other Amsoil products do not meet specs. Using synthetics in transmissions and diff's is a great idea.
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 12:54 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
All my vehicles get a minimum of an oil change every spring. That's 3500 with dyno oil, 15000 with synthetic (due to the cost difference)

I do have a few vehilcles that see 15k a year, and I use synthetic in them.

I have some that see 30k a year, they get synthetic.
Others, at less than 3.5k a year, get dyno....

Most get changed every spring, need it or not.
April 20w-50 and October 5w-40
Old 04-22-2011, 10:45 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
Amsoil is more like snake oil. Amsoil ATF does not meet the spec for any Allison ..
This one does.

AMSOIL Torque-Drive is recommended as a direct replacement for TranSynd Synthetic ATF in heavy duty, on- and off-highway automatic transmissions manufactured by Allison, General Motors, Ford, Voith and ZF or wherever the standards TES-295, TES-389, C-4, Dexron III, Mercon, Voith 55.6335.XX (G-1363) or ZF TE-ML 14C are specified. Examples of operations that benefit from using AMSOIL Torque-Drive include municipal or transit buses, motor coaches, garbage haulers, motor homes, delivery vans, emergency vehicles, school buses, dump trucks,
utility vehicles, cement trucks, line haul trucks and tow trucks.

Take a look at their web site.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:03 PM   #12

Lezryz:

Sorry but you have misinterpreted Amsoil's statement. Easy to do as they are aware of the discrepancy. In order to be approved you must submit your oil to Allison for testing. Amsoil has not done this so they do not allow the extended changes for Amsoil. If you go to Allison's web page there is a list of approved oils. Amsoil is not one of them. It is OK to use as a regular ATF. Amsoil has other products that also are not approved. I think there is now a Mobil product that is on the list.
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 03:05 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
So your saying that the oil, not only has to meet or surpass the spec's. set by this company (or whoever sets the spec's) but it has to be approved by the company.

This is what posted above "Amsoil ATF does not meet the spec for any Allison"
Your post does not say that Allison has not approved Amsoil for use in their transmissions.

Amsoil oils do meet or surpass the spec's setforth for all their oils.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:58 PM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Yes.. it has to be approved by the company.. if its not, and you extend the change intervals, Allison wont warranty it.