Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2018, 08:15 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
This mount works great with my 8" tablet right on the dash

iOttie Easy Smart Tap 2 Universal Car Desk Mount Holder Stand Cradle for iPad Air/4/3/2 iPad Mini/Retina, Galaxy Tab 4/3, Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD /7/6/ Fire HDX 8.9/7/ Fire 2 - Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NIVGNE0..._u1DCAb3H16QZW
tscarps is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2018, 10:30 PM   #16

No, the power actually is wired to the solar panel controller and is there all the time. I ran the USB wire down the A pillar behind the trim and put a small USB hub under the driver armrest area switches so I could put a small mouse in a small storage spot on that TIFFIN provided. I can easily reset trip data or reset tank data when I refuel. BTW, I had tried the wireless version of the Silverleaf but it would seize and stop refreshing data on every trip after an hour or so. Finally swapped it for the USB and it now hasn’t failed a single time in almost a year
Old 02-01-2018, 02:12 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth01 View Post
I use a Ram Mount RAM-B-189-TAB3U RAM Double Twist-Lock™ Suction Cup Mount with Tab-Tite™ Universal Spring Loaded Cradle. It's mounted to the side window and works well! You can check Sportys or Amazon for these units.
Nicely done. I see you have a engine monitoring app displayed. How well does it work being able to reach there to interact with a NAV system?
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 06:18 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsmullen View Post
No, the power actually is wired to the solar panel controller and is there all the time. I ran the USB wire down the A pillar behind the trim and put a small USB hub under the driver armrest area switches so I could put a small mouse in a small storage spot on that TIFFIN provided. I can easily reset trip data or reset tank data when I refuel. BTW, I had tried the wireless version of the Silverleaf but it would seize and stop refreshing data on every trip after an hour or so. Finally swapped it for the USB and it now hasn’t failed a single time in almost a year
Small powered HUB another great idea.

I’m not following the mouse reference. Is that a tablet or a computer? I’ve seen car guys out in small computers in their cars for their music and movie libraries so it kind of makes since to apply that to a coach. May need to revisit that idea as well.
SavageCatHV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 06:24 AM   #19

I have been using this for two years with no issues.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 11:04 PM   #20
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Dsmullen" did a very nice job of incorporating his into the cab. Looks factory installed. That would be the way I would want one done if I was using a tablet. I've been using the VMpsc since before tablets became popular, so I've always used a small laptop mounted (Velcro) to a mount that I made. I don't like drilling holes or adding stuff that later can't be removed without leaving marks. My mount uses some metal arms to support a plastic pad that the laptop attaches to via Velcro.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 08:49 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageCatHV View Post
Small powered HUB another great idea.

I’m not following the mouse reference. Is that a tablet or a computer? I’ve seen car guys out in small computers in their cars for their music and movie libraries so it kind of makes since to apply that to a coach. May need to revisit that idea as well.
The mouse is used just to reset the trip display on the Silverleaf and also when I fill up I can reset the tank minder display. It isn't also handy for anything I want to alter on the tablet or operate it as a normal tablet but I removed just about everything that was on it. I updated the Acer OS to Windows 10 as well.

The hub I used isn't powered - it's a simple device to allow two inputs up to the tablet, one from the OBD port and the mouse.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:56 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
"Dsmullen" did a very nice job of incorporating his into the cab. Looks factory installed. That would be the way I would want one done if I was using a tablet. I've been using the VMpsc since before tablets became popular, so I've always used a small laptop mounted (Velcro) to a mount that I made. I don't like drilling holes or adding stuff that later can't be removed without leaving marks. My mount uses some metal arms to support a plastic pad that the laptop attaches to via Velcro.

I agree, Don, as far as holes drilled that need a remedy at trade-in. I always make a professional looking cover - in this case a piece of cherry about the size of the added wooden surround for the tablet. It is about 3/16" thick, rounded over edges and stained the same as the coach wood is. It will be attached with headless 23 gauge pins if we ever sell the coach and it will look like it came from the factory that way. The cover is already made and can be added anytime. If I happened to ever sell the coach directly I might ask the buyer if they wanted the Vmspc and leave it all in there.
Old 02-03-2018, 06:26 AM   #23

I use a Padholdr heavy duty with 24" arm with an iPad Pro 10.5.

Mounted to doghouse and since carpet if I ever removed you would never see the screw holes. Works great, ran power up from dash, iPad slides out easy when parked as I use it in the RV normally when not traveling.

One of the best upgrades I did to the RV, just can't live without multiple nav apps to verify routes (Copilot, Google Maps, Apple Maps) Weather apps (Radarscope, Weather underground) and Allstays, HDRoadtrip for fuel and maintenance log and engine monitoring with WiFi OBD scanner and app:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0046.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	313.2 KB
ID:	191004
Old 02-03-2018, 06:48 AM   #24

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Being made mostly for Government use this is kind of pricey but it is well designed... You might wish to adapt the design for your use and home brew

https://www.galls.com/jotto-desk-lap...for-crown-vics

Note also they have many other types of mounts. All "industrial" quality, designed to hold the stuff in place during high speed chases and such.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:01 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsmullen View Post
The mouse is used just to reset the trip display on the Silverleaf and also when I fill up I can reset the tank minder display. It isn't also handy for anything I want to alter on the tablet or operate it as a normal tablet but I removed just about everything that was on it. I updated the Acer OS to Windows 10 as well.

The hub I used isn't powered - it's a simple device to allow two inputs up to the tablet, one from the OBD port and the mouse.
Somehow the word "is" in my earlier post wound up as "isn't" - the mouse IS useful to use, obviously. Sorry for the typo.
Old 02-08-2018, 03:03 AM   #26

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My DW uses her lap top all the time, and also needed a place to hold it. Weight, security and ease of moving it out of the way were very important to me since she only use the lap top when seated and we are driving; otherwise she takes it with her throughout the coach.

I bought one of those removable table poles and bases from camping world and installed the base next to her seat (between the right hand side of the seat and the bulkhead. The base is out of the way and doesn't interfere with the rotation of the seat when we stop. The post simply pops in and a quick turn secures it in place. It comes with a mount to hold a table. To that mount I attached a top I mad to fit and hold a computer laptop...looks much like an artist's pallet. To that I attached a laptop holder made for laps, etc. It comes with straps to mount the laptop and keep in secured. The whole top will pivot out of the way when she needs to get up, and the post unsnaps and goes into storage when she doesn't need the item. The post from Camping World has a built in swivel to allow her to pivot the table out of the way. All and all, it has worked well.
Old 02-08-2018, 04:44 AM   #27

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I added an arm rest primary for the air bag valves (gas coach) which gave me room for a tablet that I use for mapping, blue tooth streaming to the dash radio and a few other applications related to the coach and our travels. Found the mount on Amazon.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC02167.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	209.9 KB
ID:	191560   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150721_163446.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	232.5 KB
ID:	191561  

Old 02-08-2018, 07:00 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have several camera for rear rv, rear trailer, engine compartment, right side view, and hitch ball with two monitors. I used the mfg mount but also wanted my Garmin in line so made a Plexiglas mount with Velcro to hold the gps and screwed the Plexiglas into the top of the instrument panel cover. cut and heated the plexi to fit.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gps mtg_163910_resized.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	191572