Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2008, 06:06 AM   #1

We recently traded our 03 Itasca for a 07 Holiday Rambler with a tag axel. I understand that it is to be raised to facilitate turning. How and when do you lift your tag axels ? Thanks Sam
Oh-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2008, 06:06 AM   #2

We recently traded our 03 Itasca for a 07 Holiday Rambler with a tag axel. I understand that it is to be raised to facilitate turning. How and when do you lift your tag axels ? Thanks Sam
Old 03-03-2008, 06:36 AM   #3

The tag axle on your modern, late model rig is an integral design of the coach chassis. Early designed where basically add on axles to help with overloaded designes.

The idea now of lifting the tag is to minamize scrubbi g of the tires and exsesive strain on the suspension parts involved.
Remember when you lift the tag axle, all the weight it is supporting is now transfered to the dualls next to it.
You should have an auto mode switch that can help you learn when and where to use the pressure release for the tag. The tag in most cases does not need to be lifted. You only have to release the designed downward pressure from the unit.

The release comes in most handy when making sharp forward turns, U-turns etc.
It can be invaluable when backing into a tight spot or parallel parking. Once used to its performance the operator can become quite crafty in its use.
One important facture to remember is when the tag goes up the coach goes down. Do not forget this when making a sharp turn into a parking lot with uneaven and sloaped (complex) entry.

HAPPY TRAILS: Jimmy
MMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 03:37 PM   #4

I recently attended a seminar at a ralley, and that companies tag axel 'automatic' setting raised the tag axel in reverse, 1 and 2 gears. The service manager STRONGLY recommended against using it, as often in those gears you don't need it up, and when it is up, you are adding great stress to the drive axel and suspension, as well as violating the 20K per axel legal limit (claimed one of his customers got an overweight ticket because the officer saw the axel going up and down coming up to and leaving each light).

Generally, the time it is needed to be raised is during a tight turn.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:58 PM   #5

John I'm sure you are aware that the automatic settings all work in forwArd and revers.
In addition auto work up to a set speed. The speed setting is normally set at 10 or 12 mph, lowering the axle. You will soon learn how to work all the switches to benifit both you and the coach.

I have to question the part about an overweight ticket for selinoid operation whorl moving, on a private vehicle. It Is known to happen to the commercial rigs for various reasons.
MMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 04:52 AM   #6

Our tag is manual raise only. I only raise it when making a tight turn. The factory was very clear in NOT raising the tag when you don't need to and not to raise it in reverse -- I suppose this is why they don't install an auto-raise tag.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:37 AM   #7

I generally just use it for very tight turns (parking lot) whether forward or backing into a tight spot.

It has the net effect of reducing the turnign radius.

Never had a problem with not lifting it on tught turns in normal driving.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:09 PM   #8

Tight turns are the main reason a Tag dump or raise is used. I will leave bad tire marks on the pavement if I do a sharp turn and do not do a Tag dump. Another reason is if you need extra traction. Dumping the Tag will put more pressure on the drive tires and may be the help you need in some situations.

ScubaPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 01:17 PM   #9

Thanks for your replies. I have a better idea when to use the tag up. Where I park my MH is on level ground,but it is not paved. If I raise the tag the extra weight really puts a rut in the ground. I need the tag down to spread the weight out and avoid the ruts. Most of this area is firm from my old MH, but the new one just takes more room to park. In this case I want the tag down but when you back up the tag automatically raises.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:59 PM   #10

American Coach Owners Club
Is all this raising and lowering only for super heavy rigs?...I hope so, cuz I don't have a clue how to raise or lower mine, even if by chance, it does work that way.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 07:05 PM   #11

I have a Tag-Axel on my 88 33' Barth that is stationary other than a suspension system. I have never experienced any noticeable tire wear on the TA tires.
Barth Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 04:08 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My 2007 Spartan Mountain chassis has an automatic tag air pressure dump when you shift into reverse. You can manually dump air pressure going forward but only up to about 8 mph. At that point the tag will refill and you can't dump it until you slow down to under 8 mph again.

The only time I use it going forward is getting in or out of very tight spots (like my driveway or some campsites). If you are moving about 10 mph while turning the tag tires will track with the coach and won't scrub. Unless you are doing steering lock type turns you won't need to dump the air.