Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2013, 09:26 PM   #1

Smile tag axle

What are the advantage (benefits) of a tag axle on a 40' MH. thinking about a Country Coach or similar, does it take more maintenance and does it effect the milage? etc.
prespoole39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2013, 10:42 PM   #2

Hi - Doing a search on 'tag' will find some good info on pro/con of tag's.

Yes more maintenance. Full other set of wheels, tires, brakes, shocks.

Extra weight to carry, so MPG a bit less.

We have a CC 40' Allure with tag. It was the extra CCC (over 11K), much more stable ride and another set of brakes (these last two items I feel add extra safety) - that made the tag the way to go for us. A side benefit, is the drive wheels are a bit closer to the front, so with the tags lifted you get a tighter turning radius.

Just some of the pro's. These offset the lost of basement storage, and extra costs.

And as I think it was Executive Dennis on rv.net once said 'tag's look cool' !

Have fun on your search,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:30 AM   #3

Do a search on the problem of motor homes without tag axles wondering back and forth on the road. A tag axle motor home never has a problem with stability or wondering.

Normally you never wear out the brakes in the time you have a mh so that is not a factor.

I have had motor homes with and without tags and will never buy another one without a tag again. I love the way a tag handles and rides.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:07 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Our first motorhome we had was a Winnebago Journey. It wandered all the time. Our new to us Monaco has a tag and it really makes a difference. Even on a windy day it is easy to drive. The Journey did have a shorter wheel base and that is also part of the handling problem it had.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:58 AM   #5

The newer higher end coaches have a lot of really nice interior features such as extensive solid wood, large counter top surfaces, and porcelain tile floors, but you pay in higher weight. 40 foot coaches tend to push the upper weight limits of the rear axle without much of a cargo carrying ability. When I looked into it, our last coach had a 17,000 pound rear axle that had been waived to 19,000 pounds by Freightliner at the coach builder's request, and when I weighed it with only water on board, it was within a few hundred pounds of max weight. A tag was not offered in that length, but should have been. Handling with the tag is also better. The only down side I've found so far is the loss of basement storage room. If you have to worry about the fuele mileage, you've bought too much coach. Get something lighter and cheaper so you can afford the gas.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:06 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I think the number one advantage - additional CCC.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:53 AM   #7

What is your MPG?
prespoole39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:32 AM   #8

With my Signature at 44k lbs and the Detroit diesel I average 6.2 mpg over a 2000 mile trip pulling the Jeep. My problem is not the extra weight of the tag but the whole weight of a 44' mh with slides and pulling the Jeep.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:41 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Moving from a 39' gasser to a 43' tag DSDP is not even fair to compare.

Another tag advantage is that the angle of the drive shaft to drive wheels is a little less than on non-tags. I have had a couple mechs say that it does seem to help in reducing stress on U joints. Take that for what it is worth.

MPG...it MIGHT be 7 MPG on average. On our last trip with toad but not fully loaded we got 6 MPG into the wind and 7.5 with a tail wind. I do 62-63 MPH, We haven't taken it on a trip fully loaded and with our toad but this Sunday we will get that chance for 10 days from Champaign, IL, to Charlotte, MI, to Monticello, IN and back. Hope to get a "final answer" then.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:59 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

A tag axle is not installed on a chassis for any reason other than carrying more weight. Until a recent change in federal road rules, the max loading for a single rear axle was 20,000 lbs. If the gross weight (which includes the CCC) & balance of the coach was such that it would cause the rear axle to exceed 20k lbs, a tag had to be added. Some coach builders chose to limit the CCC in order to stay under 20k lbs while still providing tile floors and lot of amenities in the rear of the coach, while others went for a tag axle chassis to provide more weight.

In a 40 ft coach, the tag provides more weight carrying but costs in terms of dollars (for the extra axle and two more tires) as well as basement storage. The tag basically consumes the space for one full bay on each side.

Recently the feds upped the max single axle size to 23,000 lbs on the interstate and national highway system, but not all states have gone along and some bridges and toll booths are still restricted to 20k lbs per axle.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:18 PM   #11

^^^^What he said!
Old 05-02-2013, 03:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
A tag axle is not installed on a chassis for any reason other than carrying more weight. Until a recent change in federal road rules, the max loading for a single rear axle was 20,000 lbs. If the gross weight (which includes the CCC) & balance of the coach was such that it would cause the rear axle to exceed 20k lbs, a tag had to be added. Some coach builders chose to limit the CCC in order to stay under 20k lbs while still providing tile floors and lot of amenities in the rear of the coach, while others went for a tag axle chassis to provide more weight.

In a 40 ft coach, the tag provides more weight carrying but costs in terms of dollars (for the extra axle and two more tires) as well as basement storage. The tag basically consumes the space for one full bay on each side.

Recently the feds upped the max single axle size to 23,000 lbs on the interstate and national highway system, but not all states have gone along and some bridges and toll booths are still restricted to 20k lbs per axle.
With a tag axle the same law gives a total for the drive/tag combo of 34k. This is part of the federal bridge weight restrictions. This is the limiting factor on federal highways and many but not all states follow the same guidelines.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:02 PM   #13

Don't forget 2 more tires with BRAKES on them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
Hi - Doing a search on 'tag' will find some good info on pro/con of tag's.

Yes more maintenance. Full other set of wheels, tires, brakes, shocks.

Extra weight to carry, so MPG a bit less.

We have a CC 40' Allure with tag. It was the extra CCC (over 11K), much more stable ride and another set of brakes (these last two items I feel add extra safety) - that made the tag the way to go for us. A side benefit, is the drive wheels are a bit closer to the front, so with the tags lifted you get a tighter turning radius.

Just some of the pro's. These offset the lost of basement storage, and extra costs.

And as I think it was Executive Dennis on rv.net once said 'tag's look cool' !

Have fun on your search,
Smitty
Us3Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:01 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
One more thumbs up for: they look so cool! We wanted the bath and a half. In order to get that we had to go with the tag....at least that's the story I told my wife and I am sticking with that!
Oh yes, they do ride a lot nicer, we got the last of the Spartan Chassis but I am sure the Frightliner is as good. We had that on our Discovery 39S and worked fine, I just didn't like the brakes the way they pulled when they were wet. The Spartan doesn't do that.