Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2013, 09:27 PM   #1

Tag Axle

Considering buying a 2002 40' monaco dynasty "tag axle". My question is what does it weigh? The coach has a 400 cummins turbo diesel with a banks system, but I was thinking that the tag axle might be so heavy that it takes away from the power of the 400 with the banks system for like climbing long up hill runs etc.
Thanks for any feed back.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2013, 09:36 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
I had a 40 ft Monaco Diplomat and it was nice. I have a 43 ft tag axle Entegra and the tag is soooo mch nicer on handling. I know the tag axle on the Dynasty probably adds 2000-2500 lbs more GW but the carrying capacity, the handling, the useable GW will be much greater. Don't hesitate to buy a good deal over a few tires and wheels.

2016 Ford Edge toad
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:07 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
43' tag axle, 400 HP Cummins without any ECM upgrades, 44,200# GVWR (probably about 42,000# combined weight with toad)...

NOT A PROBLEM! "BIG HILLS" aren't a problem at typical truck lane speeds going up or down. I haven't been in real mountains but I think it will do just fine.

The tag makes for better control and you get an extra set of brakes too.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:05 AM   #4

Tag Axle

Thanks for the input on the tag axle Hog Driver and Sky_Boss. Extra set of brakes sounds good to Sky_Boss. Do you think mpg will make a difference between tag and no tag? Thanks
Old 12-30-2013, 06:15 AM   #5

Tag axle definitely improves drive. The absolute only drawback is you loose about two compartments of storage.
HHIDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:23 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
I am moving up from a non tag axle 350 HP MH to a tag for the reason everyone has mentioned. My non tag MH got 7.3 MPG and my new Entegra gets about the same from what I have read.

I no longer live in Denver, so pulling the hills on ever trip is no longer a concern. The 350 non tag was no rocket ship, but it did fine in the mountains. I would not be a bit worried about the tag for the comfort it will give in the ride. Unless you live where you must pull mountains to leave home, 99% of the driving will be on non mountain roads and the few extra pounds won't be a problem.
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:27 AM   #7
laj

I know your looking at a 40, but if you want more storage go to a 42. typically if you can put a 40 somewhere a 42 will go as well, they handle great too.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:39 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
You didn't ask but I'll inject my 2 cents worth anyway...Banks does not support, repair or otherwise help when their $3000 unit quits. Their gauges do not work without their computer (the part that fails) so not only do you lose their "system", additional gauges must be purchased and installed. Expensive lesson but never again!
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:53 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
I went from a 37' to a 42' with a tag axle. The handling difference was like night and day. It's hard to describe how much more stable the tag is. Mine is also 400 HP and at 35,000 lbs plus toad, I have enough power. I haven't tried the really big mountains yet. That will happen in a week or two.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:02 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park Ranger View Post
Thanks for the input on the tag axle Hog Driver and Sky_Boss. Extra set of brakes sounds good to Sky_Boss. Do you think mpg will make a difference between tag and no tag? Thanks
My DSDP gets horrible mileage for a vehicle but great mileage for a house.

I plan on 6 MPG for my budget which would also include fuel burnt when running the benny. I don't have a hydro heating system that burns diesel either. For the last year and 9000 miles I have averaged 6.33 MPG, used 1422 gals at an ave cost $3.72/gal totaling $5291. That covers and ave of 27 miles a day. LOL Gas Cubby is the best auto expense app you can get.

Now, someone is bound to get a little "snotty" and tell you that if you have to worry about MPG you shouldn't get a DP and to some extent, it is true. Still, that is based on how you plan to put on miles. If you expect to be parked in a place for a month (or more) at a time and not race cross country, fuel will not be as big a factor as if you travel often and put on lots of miles.

Again...keep in mind that you will be using diesel to run the benny going down the road and that will skew your MPG as will a diesel burning hydro heating system. But...as long as you understand these additional fuel burning things, it shouldn't be a real shock.

In the end, I would also suggest that if you will be parked for long periods of time that you look at towables. MH drive train systems don't like being parked. Just look at the pros and cons as you think this out.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:17 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You will not regret getting a coach with a tag if you plan to drive it a lot. I went from a 36' DP with no tag to a 42' with tag and, as already noted, night and day difference in handling and ride. I would not want a 40' coach with a tag since you do lose storage space with the tag.

My rig weighs right at 40K loaded and I have the 425hp Cummins ISL. Seems to have good power although I have not been in the really tough mountains out West yet. MPG is 8.2 on level roads at 65 mph and seems to average about 7.0 according to the Silverleaf system.

The ISL 400 seemed to be the 'gold standard' in most mid to high end DP's up to about 43' for several years. It seems most of the builders have now switched to a 450hp version with the newer rigs, most likely due to the additional emission controls.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:28 AM   #12

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
You should be able to hit you MPG is you use keep your seed down and use cruise control.

REGARDLESS, the tag is worth SO much more than you can imagine. CERTAINLY any loss of MPG.
thrushl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:37 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
My mileage went from about 9 to about 7.2 (according to the computer). The new coach weighs a lot more than the old one (about 8000 lbs). I also went from a ISB to an ISL. The little ISB seems to sip fuel more than it's bigger brother.

I can't speak for others, but MPG is important to me, now that I don't have a job to replace all the cash I spend.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:57 AM   #14

As the others have said, the improvement in ride and handling that a tag gives you is remarkable. These big fancy coaches are usually pushing the upper weight limits on wheel and axle loadings due to the amenities on the coach. Not a good thing or a bad thing, it just is the way it is.

We had a 40' 2008 Tiffin Bus and found the rear axle loading was at max when the the coach was empty and dry. Loaded would have made the weight police shudder, but we put 75,000 miles on it without a problem. Despite loading all heavy items forward, we were still overweight on the rear axle. When we went to the 43' tag, loads on the rear went WAY down and the limiting factor became the front axle. Fully loaded for a summer in Alaska puts us at max allowable on the front tires and just below max allowable on the front axle. I have no problems with that, but running the front ties at 120 psi does cause a sharper ride than I'd like. When I wear these out I'll be going to 315's.

Since the coach coach your looking at is a 2002, you won't have any problems with the hills. Little or no EPA overhead and the 400hp engine will do fine on the hills. We ran the '08 with a LOT of EPA enissions garbage attached to Alaska and back numerous times and only had hill issues when someone was in front of us or we were working a 10% grade. Other things being equal, go for the tag.

Pigman1 is online now   Reply With Quote