Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2014, 06:02 AM   #15
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
If the tag can't be lifted, it should have the ability to dump the air to reduce the drag on tight turns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
It is no question the tag tires get dragged a bit in turns. Most tag axle coaches have the ability for the driver to lift the tag to prevent that when making tight turns at low speed.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2014, 07:17 AM   #16

The higher line tag axle coaches ($1,000,000 or more) will have a tag that steers to eliminate any dragging. Most coaches below that amount can be dumped (releasing the tag air bag) for a turn. I have mine programmed to dump with the directional signal if below 20 mph. They re-inflate when above 20. Ours will also dump when in reverse. No worries about the dragging when dumped.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:50 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
It is no question the tag tires get dragged a bit in turns. Most tag axle coaches have the ability for the driver to lift the tag to prevent that when making tight turns at low speed.
I think Crasher & Route 66 have it correct but I want to point out a specific point...

I think for most tags there is a misuse of the term "lifting the tag". As was explained to me by Spartan they don't lift but instead remove (dump) pressure from the air bag to allow it to put more weight on the drive axle but not all the tag weight and minimize scrubbing of the tag. The reason for that approach is to avoid having the drive axle support all the weight that was on the tag.

I know my coach auto dumps in reverse...I need to double check the ability to program for turns less than 20 MPH.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:09 AM   #18

Most coaches have a maximum speed that the tag can dump. Ours was set at 8 mph from factory. That is "Way" too slow. I installed a pair of led lights on the drivers panel to light up when the tag has dumped. At 8 mph, it would inflate before I was around the turn. When the tag air bag is inflated, it has 40-65 psi in it depending on what proportioning valve is being used. When dumped, that pressure is reduced to about 20 psi. That reduces the load on the tag from 5,000-9500# down to 3000# thus reducing the drag. That's a good thing for turning, but if the tag is dumped and you have to stop harder than normal, when you get below 10 mph, the tag tires might slide and slip because the ABS doesn't work below 10.
It's not a big deal, but one needs to be aware of it.

This is how ours works, but I'd bet that most tag coaches will respond in a similar fashion.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:16 AM   #19

Buy the coach with the tag. Make up what ever reason you need to justify the purchase. You will not be happy unless you do. I have been trying to figure out how to afford a tag for 5 years. Tell the DW it comes with two spare tires. Tell your self that aliens will not steal it.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:31 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Don and Crasher have it right on the technical aspects. Pcurt has in down in common sense and terminology! Get the tag! I have owned both, get the TAG!!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:33 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
thanks, didnt know that,
Old 01-22-2014, 09:42 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmandmc View Post
thanks, didnt know that,
Just to remain technically correct, my tag (like most) don't actually lift but, as noted in this thread, you are actually dumping air out of the bags for that axle which releases pressure. Now that I've said that, when I hit the 'tag' switch on my coach, I can hear the air releasing but my tag wheels actually come up enough that they don't touch the ground.....so they 'lift.'
Old 01-22-2014, 08:25 PM   #23

I am really pleased with the way my non tag coach rides and drives. How can it get any better?? Maybe I should never drive a tag coach.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:30 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoleInOne View Post
I am really pleased with the way my non tag coach rides and drives. How can it get any better?? Maybe I should never drive a tag coach.
Yep.

If everyone test-drove a tag, stuff without tags would ge reeeeeal rare.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:49 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoleInOne View Post
I also thought my 2011 40' Phaetons ride was as good as it could get. Then my son showed up in a new 42' Ellipse. My wife followed us to a dry camping area 140 miles away. It was real obvious to her how I would bounce on the overpasses that were uneven and my son just floated over them. I had never driven a tag coach before, but I already had one on order. First time I drove one was when I took delivery when it came in. There is no non-tag motorhome on the road that is even close to the ride and stability of a 43' coach with a tag and IFS.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:32 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
A steerable tag is pretty much a waste on a Motorhome
You will never wear out the drive or tag tires even as a full timer.
They will pass their usebydate well before that
It's about $15k or so for steerable as opposed to a straight axle - money you will never recover
Old 01-23-2014, 07:37 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSkinner View Post
A steerable tag is pretty much a waste on a Motorhome
You will never wear out the drive or tag tires even as a full timer.
They will pass their usebydate well before that
It's about $15k or so for steerable as opposed to a straight axle - money you will never recover
That's true, but $15,000 is just chump change to the guy that owns a Newell. It's worth that much to him just to know he has it.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:44 AM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
That's true, but $15,000 is just chump change to the guy that owns a Newell. It's worth that much to him just to know he has it.
Newell
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote