Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2014, 09:42 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
sure DONT know where this info came from. there are lots of coaches with tags from 37-40 ft.
Please show me "lots" of coaches 40ft and under with a tag axle in diesel pusher. I will say there are exceptions to what I said in some of the "higher end coaches" but not common at all in the normal end of coaches. I did have a 36' dolphin that was a tag but I was not referring to "gas" coaches. PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong in this aspect as I really don't see an abundance of tag axle coaches under 40' in DP.

Sorry OP for the hijack.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2014, 04:31 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBS-POPS View Post
Please show me "lots" of coaches 40ft and under with a tag axle in diesel pusher. I will say there are exceptions to what I said in some of the "higher end coaches" but not common at all in the normal end of coaches. I did have a 36' dolphin that was a tag but I was not referring to "gas" coaches. PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong in this aspect as I really don't see an abundance of tag axle coaches under 40' in DP. Sorry OP for the hijack.
I agree with you.

Here is a quote from a dealer :

The 2011 Newmar Dutch Star 4020T is a unique 40 ft. luxury motorhome because it offers a tag axle. The use of the tag axle provides improved weight distribution and greater cargo carrying capacity.

Notice it said UNIQUE ! ! Doesn't happen very often - like you said !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1659230973.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	824.2 KB
ID:	54514  

Old 01-23-2014, 04:49 PM   #31

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Please show me "lots" of coaches 40ft and under with a tag axle in diesel pusher. I will say there are exceptions to what I said in some of the "higher end coaches" but not common at all in the normal end of coaches. I did have a 36' dolphin that was a tag but I was not referring to "gas" coaches. PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong in this aspect as I really don't see an abundance of tag axle coaches under 40' in DP.

Sorry OP for the hijack.
Beginning in 2002, the Monaco Dynasty tag axle coach was built in 38' and longer lengths.

In the mid 2000s, the Country Coach Allure tag axle coach was built in 36' and longer lengths.

Jim
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:08 PM   #32

I take posession of a rig with a tag axel and side radiator this weekend. Lots of good info on this thread. I have learned a great deal. My thanks to the contributors.

Perhaps a new thread on how many tags out there is in order, as some of you have great interest there.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:45 PM   #33

Quote:

Sorry OP for the hijack.
You are correct for the most part. I did see a real nice 36' CC with tag 2 years ago. Almost bought it.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:53 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
I went from a 37 foot to a 43 foot with a tag. The difference in driving is amazing. I am still fighting with the weight on the front axle though. While I am under the axle weight, one of the wheels is a couple of hundred pounds over the tire limit. I guess my choices are to go back into the dealer and play musical chairs with the proportioning valve or spring for bigger tires on the front. I'll be having a phone call with FCC in the very near future.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:07 PM   #35

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayobx View Post
Newell
Newell ... steering TAG

maybe someday when we sell our business or hit the lottery!

Although I will say, this Newmar Mountain Aire (tag axle) is pretty close to a dream coach for us at probably about 23% the cost of a Newell http://www.northtrailrv.com/inventor...htype=3&year=0

2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:36 PM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrschwarz View Post
I went from a 37 foot to a 43 foot with a tag. The difference in driving is amazing. I am still fighting with the weight on the front axle though. While I am under the axle weight, one of the wheels is a couple of hundred pounds over the tire limit. I guess my choices are to go back into the dealer and play musical chairs with the proportioning valve or spring for bigger tires on the front. I'll be having a phone call with FCC in the very near future.
I'm not sure how much help you will get from playing with air bag adjustments. One trick that I do (I'm pretty anal retentive about weight and balance) is inflate the drive axle 10 PSI higher than needed. That lets the drive axle act as a bit more of a fulcrum allowing the weight behind the drive wheel to pull some off of the front wheels. It isn't that much but it seems to help a bit.

I can't believe any MH manufacturer can't provide calculated wheel weights based on changes from a standard configuration. I've been hearing Winnebago has been a bit more vexing on this issue of overloaded MHs. While mine is manageable to date, I'm waiting to see how another year of FTing adds weight to the coach. It could get interesting.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:59 PM   #37

Quote:

Have the ride heights checked. My front right was carrying 1100# more than the front left and it was 300# over its rating. It turned out that the left rear ride height was set 3/8" too high. Once corrected the front tires are within 150# of each other and 300# below max rating. I also reduced the pressure in the tag air bags and lowered the steering axle by 700#. Most coaches can be brought into proper balance with a little tweaking.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:23 PM   #38

I would suggest you get the tag and side radiator.

Our tag does lift off the ground. It is programed to come back down at 14 mph.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:37 PM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
All great suggestions. I plan to call FCC tomorrow to hear their suggestions.

Here is a listing of my weights:
Front GAWR - 14,320
Front Left - 7,308
Front Right - 6,658
Drive GAWR - 20,000
Drive Left - 6,650
Drive Right - 9,450
Tag GAWR = 10,000
Tag Left - 3,600
Tag Right - 3,250

This is after spending a day at the dealer trying to get more weight on the drive axle than the front axle.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:44 PM   #40
laj

CC, 36-40 tags. Monaco , beavers, HR's
Old 01-23-2014, 11:05 PM   #41

Quote:
All great suggestions. I plan to call FCC tomorrow to hear their suggestions.

Here is a listing of my weights:
Front GAWR - 14,320
Front Left - 7,308
Front Right - 6,658
Drive GAWR - 20,000
Drive Left - 6,650
Drive Right - 9,450
Tag GAWR = 10,000
Tag Left - 3,600
Tag Right - 3,250

This is after spending a day at the dealer trying to get more weight on the drive axle than the front axle.
From what I went through on our 43' coach, it looks like your front left or right rear ride height is set too high or one of the other two is set too low. Have them check the ride heights at each corner and correct if necessary. Also if you lower the pressure in the tag air bags to get their weight down to 5500# you will take some weight off the steering axle.

I did this to ours and I now have a nead perfect weight distribution and each axle is well below the max rating.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:15 AM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am also at my max front axle weight and curious how you folks that changed the tag axle bag pressure got it done. Once you determine how to adjust the tag pressure, is it a matter of trail and error to find the right pressure to take weight off the steer?

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote