Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2014, 09:06 PM   #71

I agree with you Dave. Nola and I found a coach. Just happened to have a tag. Oops!
But we will always be under max.
Look forward to seeing you and Deb!
Dave and Nola.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2014, 09:20 PM   #72

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
I think Crasher & Route 66 have it correct but I want to point out a specific point...

I think for most tags there is a misuse of the term "lifting the tag". As was explained to me by Spartan they don't lift but instead remove (dump) pressure from the air bag to allow it to put more weight on the drive axle but not all the tag weight and minimize scrubbing of the tag. The reason for that approach is to avoid having the drive axle support all the weight that was on the tag.

I know my coach auto dumps in reverse...I need to double check the ability to program for turns less than 20 MPH.
Can't take the turns at Arlington Motor Speedway less than 20mph, can you?
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:40 PM   #73

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
I agree with you Dave. Nola and I found a coach. Just happened to have a tag. Oops!
But we will always be under max.
Look forward to seeing you and Deb!
Dave and Nola.
That's cause if you don't have it, you don't need it. Look forward to seeing you too!
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:56 AM   #74

Monaco Owners Club
I was the original poster. Several reasons i was looking at a tag 1) my wife really liked the closet in the rear of a 43' 2)I was concerned about the load of my tools,also maybe ride , little ego, they look cool. Anyway We have been looking at a lot of m/h the price of the tag up's the price,wife rethought the closet,and i did a rough look at the weight of my tools,can goods,etc and figured we can keep it under weight with a single axel if we had to and pack right.I also heard one of you say that you lose space with a tag.I looked around and you were right.
You do not know how much we appreciate all your input,as this is our 1ST m/h and we do not have time to buy a smaller unit and trade up (our budget is $100,000 to $150,000). So its research,research,listen,listen.Look at as many coaches as possible find the one we like with what knowledge we have gained and go for it. We will be full time.
I even met one person on this forum that has been a m/h owner for 30 years had many units .We have talked on the phone a bunch i told him that when we find the unit we want we will buy him a airline ticket and meet him there so he can help look it over.He has agreed.
The bottom line we are looking at both types.Have narrowed the list to about 3 brands.Now the rest, floor plan,etc
Thanks again.Tim(aka tag cat) I am sure you will see a few inexperienced post from me .I like your honesty.
tagcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:09 AM   #75

Monaco Owners Club
tag axle

I did a reply to post i did the other day (tag vs single) but put it under this post Sorry .M/H is something i need to learn a lot more about, it seems computers should go on that list also.Any body know how i can move that reply to the tag vs post?
Thanks every one.Tagcat
Old 01-30-2014, 06:13 AM   #76

Monaco Owners Club
Cool tag axle vs single

I did a reply to this post but by mistake put it under another the post --tag axel. Learning about computers to.
I did not know retirement was going to be so much work.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:22 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by vraines View Post
We have a tag and the handling advantage is significant, and probably worth the added expense. We went from a 40 ft single axel to a 43 ft with tag and here is what we have experienced:
-Much better road handling. This is a big advantage.
-Lifting the axel for short turns is a PIA.
-We lost some basement storage with the tag and Aqua-Hot system. Storage is important to us.
-Turning radius did not change much, as the 43 ft model has independent front suspension.
-Plan on an added $1,500 for tire replacement.
-Front axel loading is high due to the added length. The rear axel off sets engine overhang cantilever affect. Most of the basement storage weight is imposed on the front axel.
-Virtually eliminates porpoising. This is a tremendous advantage.
Just so the OP is clear on some of these points.
-Lifting (actually dumping the tag) is no big deal as it can be programmed to dump automatically with the directional signal below a set speed and re-inflates automatically
-You will lose some space with the aqua heat, but our 43' tag has the same basement space as our 40' did except for the aqua heat. It provides endless hot water and is quieter than the propane furnaces. If the tag coach happens to be all electric, there is no propane tank and you gain another storage compartment in the basement.
-front axle loading is easy to adjust with manual regulators for the tag suspension. I have my steering axle at 1000# below its max.
-Every eight to ten years when you replace tires it will probably cost $100 more per year to have a tag axle.

Ask for how many people went from a tag coach to a single to gain more storage. We have had two 40 'singles and finally went to the 43' tag. We will never go back to a single. There is nothing wrong with a single 40' MH. Most people like and enjoy them. We did. Going into a longer tag coach though, is stepping up to the next level of ride and handling comfort. They might not be for everyone, but having owned and driven both, they are in two different classes. Drive a 40' in a cross wind and have a semi pass you. Then do the same in a longer properly setup tag MH. Then, you will know what I mean.

Good Luck in your search Tim and enjoy retirement.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:39 AM   #78

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tagcat View Post
We i am back with some more stupid questions.We will be full timers been looking at a lot of m/h 40'--45' . I will be putting a lot of tool under coach and pull a toad,i was think in needed a tag for the weight,if we find a 42 or 45' that will have tag ,but we have found a lot of good deals in a 40' with single axel at a good price.Seeing out price is $125,00--$150,00.The tag adds price can buy a higher year lower miles in a single axel.Do i really need a tag?
2Th question .I have been reading on the forum about chassis inspections?What is this?How often ?Expense?
Being a first timer and buying this size coach has been a lot of research and traveling to look at m/h's.
Thanks again for your help.P.S. did sell the toyota highlander and Lexus and got a Jeep grand Cherokee,going to need it anyway.
Can you quantify "A lot of tools" and give us a weight estimate?

Dave
Old 01-30-2014, 09:27 AM   #79

You're budget allows you to get a tag axle. Do so, as you will be glad you did. We would never go back to a single axle coach. As noted above, the benefits are many. Aqua Hot is another thing we would not give up. Have fun shopping.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:52 AM   #80

I have owned 3 Diesel pushers, all side radiator. Re to tag axle, much depends on the Chassis. Iv owned HR Imperial, Spartan no tag. Drove ok. Also had a CC Magna on a Gillig Chassis, Drove and rode like a luxury car. So smooth and tight handling. A real million mile bus Chassis. I now own a Prevost XL11, unbelievable ride and handling, as would be expected from a true Bus of this level. I have also driven a Monaco Roadmaster non Tag from Michigan to Fl with a friend who purchased it in Michigan. Ok ride but noisy and felt very light in the steering. Scary. In my humble opinion the Gillig Chassis is the best riding and handling non tag I have ever drove. Second from my Prevost. My experience and opinion. Respectfully, RD
rdcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:59 AM   #81

Fleetwood Owners Club
We have owned both. Get the tag!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:05 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayobx View Post
We have owned both. Get the tag!
X 2!
Old 01-31-2014, 06:08 AM   #83

Monaco Owners Club
tag axel/op

I have been going through the shop trying to get an idea of weight.It will be some were around 2500-3500 lbs not including what goes in coach.That will pack light,plastic dishes,glasses,small safe,etc.It will take some playing around with packing to find placement.
There will be some mechanic tools but most will be carpenter tool,nail guns, saws,that type of stuff.I know it will be a juggling act but i will make it work.
Good thing we live in the country so no one will hear #%*@! when i am having to re pack.Just may have to cut loose of some stuff,loosing a lot just from the house sale.I have a 92 yr old mother in Ft worth lives in a 5 bed room house,so our bedroom furniture goes there(there may come a time she will need us) and a few things in her garage.The plan is if it does not go there or in the m/h we will not have it.No storage building to have to pay for.
When you get down to it ,it is just stuff.Being able to travel and be able to help family is were it counts.
Thanks again,we are getting closer.tagcat
Old 01-31-2014, 06:09 AM   #84

Monaco Owners Club
tag axel

Thanks a lot for all the info .You people have been great.Maybe we will cross paths some were on the road.Going from a house to full time m/h will be different,but i think we are going to love it(better there is no looking back,except through the rear view mirror.)
We are going to look at a 2004 monaco signature with 36,000 miles.It's only a 40' with tag has aqua hot(lost space there) all the extra stuff we would like.,has the detroit series 60 with side radiator,solar,3 a/c,etc.asking $139,000. There are other units in that area we also can go see. Getting closer ,but taking our time.
Thanks again.tagcat